Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irony alert at level red!
(04-04-2018, 05:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Idk, I think the clear backpack thing is an idea that is way overdue.  Not only will it make it tougher to smuggle firearms or knives into a school, but also drugs and other sorts of contraband.

Yes, but could't the same thing be said about any bag carried by any person?

[Image: slippery.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-04-2018, 05:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yes, but could't the same thing be said about any bag carried by any person?

Possibly, but I believe the issue of how civil rights for students in schools is a bit different than for the general public, has been covered around here before.

I.e. all a school administrator would need to do is declare contraband being transported in opaque backpacks a disruption to the learning environment.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(04-04-2018, 05:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Idk, I think the clear backpack thing is an idea that is way overdue.  Not only will it make it tougher to smuggle firearms or knives into a school, but also drugs and other sorts of contraband.

I'm of mixed feelings about its efficacy.  As long as people have pockets this will have a limited impact.  It's been awhile, but I'm sure I would have hated such a policy when I was in HS.  My senior year they implements a no hat that wasn't a school hate policy.  I tried to circumvent it by wearing a Pirates hat (our school name started with a P) and was immediately swooped in on.  I thought it was dumb as hell to make a policy about it.  Of course, getting older and doing what I do I know it was done due to gangs using sports hats, and others, to identify themselves.  As school officials couldn't tell, or even be able to accuse, they implemented the hat policy.

(04-04-2018, 05:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yes, but could't the same thing be said about any bag carried by any person?

It absolutely could.  It's a good thing that several amendments address this topic, although none in a precisely direct manner, thus preventing the government from enacting such a law.  Some constitutional liberties are suspended at certain locations, and schools have been determined to be such a location.  Thank goodness for our constitutional rights, (all of them!) otherwise I'm very confident a law of the type you allude to would have been proposed in some jurisdiction by now.
(04-04-2018, 05:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It absolutely could.  It's a good thing that several amendments address this topic, although none in a precisely direct manner, thus preventing the government from enacting such a law.  Some constitutional liberties are suspended at certain locations, and schools have been determined to be such a location.  Thank goodness for our constitutional rights, (all of them!) otherwise I'm very confident a law of the type you allude to would have been proposed in some jurisdiction by now.

At least kids can look forward to the day when they turn 18 and are allowed to carry opaque book bags.  
(04-04-2018, 05:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: At least kids can look forward to the day when they turn 18 and are allowed to carry opaque book bags.  

I'm pretty sure they can do it right now if they're not at school.  Let freedom ring!

As an aside, I never carried a backpack at school, not one day.  All my books were in my locker and I got the relevant book before I went to class.  I had a three ring binder I took notes in that I just carried around.  Why the need for a backpack?
(04-04-2018, 05:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: At least kids can look forward to the day when they turn 18 and are allowed to carry opaque book bags.  

Coming of age does have it's rewards and responsibilities..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(04-04-2018, 06:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm pretty sure they can do it right now if they're not at school.  Let freedom ring!

As an aside, I never carried a backpack at school, not one day.  All my books were in my locker and I got the relevant book before I went to class.  I had a three ring binder I took notes in that I just carried around.  Why the need for a backpack?

Kids (at least in my son’s school) have no idea where their lockers are. My son doesn’t even know his locker number.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Clear backpacks?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(04-04-2018, 05:31 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Just for the sake of thoroughness, they should also mandate a clear and transparent clothing policy. You know, to ensure that nobody is hiding weapons in or underneath their clothing.

[Image: qx7X9DQ.png]

After two threats at our high school the security started doing random backpack/bag searches.  They said when they started doing that the amount of contraband (mostly tobacco) dropped to zero.  Kids were afraid they'd be searched the next day since it was random.

I think of the clear backpacks like school uniforms.  It eliminates a lot of problems.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-04-2018, 08:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: [Image: qx7X9DQ.png]

I think I just choked on my riceball.

I hate you.
(04-04-2018, 05:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I've been assured you don't deliberately state falsehoods in an attempt to twist the arguments being made.  That being the case I'll expect you to provide some proof for the claim that anyone is "loving this clear backpack rule" because it "punishes people who disagree with 'them'".  If you are not able to find such a post then I'll expect you'll be apologizing for mistakenly (deliberately? no, not possible) misstating the sentiments of people in this thread.  I'm also 100% confident that you'll actually do this without trying to distract or obfuscate in any way.

Based on your posts you seemed to agree that the clear backpacks would provide additional security, but I can't say that you "loved" the idea.

Sorrry for mistating your position.
(04-04-2018, 06:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:   Why the need for a backpack?

To take books home for homework.  Sometimes to pack a lunch.
(04-04-2018, 07:09 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Kids (at least in my son’s school) have no idea where their lockers are.  My son doesn’t even know his locker number.

Our schools went to a chromebook for homework and some of the teachers still insist on using hardback books.  So my son has to carry a couple around.  He said it's easier to just keep everything with him than try to run to his locker between classes so he carries it all the time.  Most of the kids do.
(04-05-2018, 09:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: Our schools went to a chromebook for homework and some of the teachers still insist on using hardback books.  So my son has to carry a couple around.  He said it's easier to just keep everything with him than try to run to his locker between classes so he carries it all the time.  Most of the kids do.

Yeah most things are on their laptops now so they have very few books, but I can't imagine not using  alocker for something.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-05-2018, 09:41 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah most things are on their laptops now so they have very few books, but I can't imagine not using  alocker for something.

I don't even know if he puts his gym clothes in there or carried them in his backpack.

It's a fairly big school so I figure if he only needs a couple things why use a locker?

We only had 400 kids in my high school and I had my locker on one floor and shared one on the other floor so we could have our books within quick access. Smirk
(04-05-2018, 09:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Based on your posts you seemed to agree that the clear backpacks would provide additional security, but I can't say that you "loved" the idea.

Minimally, at best but ok.

Quote:Sorrry for mistating your position.

I appreciate the apology, accepted.
(04-04-2018, 08:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: [Image: qx7X9DQ.png]

All in the name of security.