Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Irv Smith a Bengal
(03-28-2023, 04:16 PM)Housh Wrote: I mean If your grading scale is you have to be Travis Kelce then you’ll never be happy. Eifert and Gresham were both great TEs. If we had either right now most ppl would say we’re good at TE.

Our track record of picking TE in the 1 round is actually pretty good.

Alot better than picking oline of late for sure
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 03:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep.

TE is a tough spot to scout. Some colleges use them like a WR, but those guys can't block. Others use them as blockers, and you have no idea if they can catch.

Here's a guy I'll call. Will Mallory from Miami. Should be there in the 6th and 7th. I think he could have an above average to good career as a TE.

4.54 40. Has good athleticism. Miami's QB situation has been messed up for a few years, so I think he might be a better pro than college player.

Good nab on him and you are so right. Seldom do you get the great receiver who can also block. Andrews allegedly was not happy with Lincoln Riley because he trashed his blocking that resulted in being a third rounder. Don’t know if that is true because that’s not characteristic of Riley. But nevertheless Andrews hasn’t been a big supporter of Riley.

But I still say if Joe had a first rate tight end then Zac wouldn’t let it waste. Zac started as a TE coach at TAMU. His FIL Mike Sherman who he got his base from as well as from Bill Callihan his coach at Nebraska ( solid west coast offense to the tee). Zac hates mish mash offenses. He believes an offense has to have a fundamentally sound structure. He thinks a lot of college offenses are mish mash even some good ones.Few in the NFL are. But when they have a structure or basis when defenses do something you aren’t prepared for you have something to fall back on. That’s why Jimmy Burrow loves him. It’s sometimes limiting but less confusing and easier to understand. There’s a reason for why they do this or that.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 03:57 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Was only referring to Eifert not becoming a Kelce type per being too brittle but feel the talent was there. 

Guess you're referring to developing them which I did not see mentioned even in the post he was responding to which I replied. Must have missed something, sorry. 

Responded to statement the Bengals being 0-2 finding a Kelce type TE with Eifert/Gresham.

Ha I meant to respond to The Pistons LOL not you. Sorry
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 05:20 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Let's stop the rotation of soso TEs and let get go for a rookie that is expected to make a real impact...

Asi asi literally translates to So So in Spanish lol
Reply/Quote
Not thrilled about this signing. It seems like a signing just to sign someone at TE. I would have much rather seen Wilcox back to be honest. A 6'2" TE just seems a bit like a slow WR. I hope he returns to his peak form and I will feel much better about this signing.
Reply/Quote
Tiger

It tells you with these two signings in the last couple days that its if anyone falls that's top tier .... BPA. Especially if they stick to the script with salary situations. They tend to select them early to get them in the building before a staple player goes. They've kept part of the ML playbook especially w/defensive backs. Ultimately they don't have a draft pattern now they want to be BPA every year . I've said this before & made threads about it. Katie is a salary cap GENIUS!
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 04:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Out of that list of TEs selected in Rd 1 since 2007, every single TE in that list had at least one season of 500+ yards.
Chances are if you're selecting a TE in Rd 1, you're gonna get some solid production, if not more.

One season of 500 yards can be had with most tight ends in the league. Let’s just see how this plays out. A 500 yard season is not a difference maker and not worthy of a first round pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:53 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Because this TE class is deep as hell, we don't use a TE a ton in our offense, and we have 3 recievers that are really good. Best player available in the first round, always. 

But 2 of them could very well be gone after this season. Gotta keep restocking Burrow’s weapons, and TE’s traditionally take a little longer to develop.

Reply/Quote
Say Jordan Addison falls to our pick.

I know we don't need a WR...but man would that tempt me.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 09:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Say Jordan Addison falls to our pick.

I know we don't need a WR...but man would that tempt me.

When push comes to shove QB, Edge, WR, OT will dominate. Addison not likely as it’s not a good WR draft. But one thing is for certain they are in tons better position to pick the BPA than they were 10 days ago.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 11:53 AM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals offense depend more on just the matchups than any other team in the NFL. They don't use alot of motions, play action, or much misdirection at all. The Tight End position is naturally one of the better mismatch options in the middle of the field. Getting the right TE could really be a game changer.

Who do you see in this year's class that would be perfect for that?
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 11:53 AM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals offense depend more on just the matchups than any other team in the NFL. They don't use alot of motions, play action, or much misdirection at all. The Tight End position is naturally one of the better mismatch options in the middle of the field. Getting the right TE could really be a game changer.

That’s true but as we saw in the Tyler Boyd TD one game and a Hayden Hurst TD on the goaline they show a play several times then change it up resulting in big plays. That was Oklahoma in there solid run from 2000-2005. The OC most of those years was a good friend of mine. He said the best OC’s weren’t necessarily the best play caller or trickster but one who decisively knew their matchup advantages well and wore it out. Each matchup throughout the lineup and then strategize how to set up big plays later in the game.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 05:27 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Alot better than picking oline of late for sure

Hindsight is 20/20, but I bet we passed up on some great talent to pull the trigger on a tight end.

Unless you have a freak, like kelce (who was passed over by every team in the nfl draft twice) they really are all a dime a dozen.

All you have to do is look at the franchise tag values and realize RB, S and TE are the most undervalued positions in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 10:39 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That’s true but as we saw in the Tyler Boyd TD one game and a Hayden Hurst TD on the goaline they show a play several times then change it up resulting in big plays. That was Oklahoma in there solid run from 2000-2005. The OC most of those years was a good friend of mine. He said the best OC’s weren’t necessarily the best play caller or trickster but one who decisively knew their matchup advantages well and wore it out. Each matchup throughout the lineup and then strategize how to set up big plays later in the game.

I agree with that. People act like playcalls totally trick a defense. They don't. Basically it's a matter of blocking and guys winning their matchups.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 10:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I agree with that. People act like playcalls totally trick a defense. They don't. Basically it's a matter of blocking and guys winning their matchups.

With the occasional Andy Reid play thrown in

I just know Reid has to talk shit about his best plays. No way i could call those plays and be humble.

I’d be calling old ex’s and tellin them to watch the plays and shit
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 10:59 PM)Housh Wrote: I’d be calling old ex’s and tellin them to watch the plays and shit

That's what they call them players. Bragging to the ladies about playcalls.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 10:55 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Hindsight is 20/20, but I bet we passed up on some great talent to pull the trigger on a tight end.

Unless you have a freak, like kelce (who was passed over by every team in the nfl draft twice) they really are all a dime a dozen.

All you have to do is look at the franchise tag values and realize RB, S and TE are the most undervalued positions in the NFL.

I would personally take S off that list.

It’s a clean tie for me between TE and RB.
I’ll go with TE as most undervalued because i think a team can mask a shit TE way easier the masking a shit RB that can’t find holes.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 11:04 PM)Housh Wrote: I would personally take S off that list.

I’ll go with TE as most undervalued because i think a team can mask a shit TE way easier the masking a shit RB that can’t find holes.

Yeah. Safeties are getting paid now.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 10:59 PM)Housh Wrote: With the occasional Andy Reid play thrown in

I just know Reid has to talk shit about his best plays. No way i could call those plays and be humble.

I’d be calling old ex’s and tellin them to watch the plays and shit

Funny Andy Reid in the SB ran the Chris Evans TD pass play that scored on them inside the 10 on Philly. It’s a copy cat league.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 11:04 PM)Housh Wrote: I would personally take S off that list.

Depends on the safety I suppose.

There are legit like 4-5 difference makers at tight end in the nfl. There is another group of 10-30 that all fall into a decent-good category. Scheme will help some, and some have outlier years (Robert tonyan), but at the end of the day Irv Smith and a rookie (not first few rounds) will do.

High picks should be reserved for the high value (expensive) positions.

I just hope that whoever we draft in rounds one and two this year help contribute on the 2023 team. Edge rusher, OL, WR (could use depth, see last year… and protect against boyd/higgins), cb at the top
Of the draft.
Reply/Quote