Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Irv Smith a Bengal
(03-28-2023, 11:25 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I have the opposite view.  I'm not sure why people think we need to invest so much at the TE position.  Hurst was injured last year and missed 4 games.  At the same time, Drew Sample was also injured.  The Bengals didn't have a #1 or #2 TE for a 4 game stretch.  They won every game without a #1 and #2 TE.  The TE position just isn't as important a need as some of our fans keep making it out to be.

You can’t just neglect an entire position. Not to mention some of Burrow’s best throws of his career have been up the seam to his TE’s. It’s also too good of a TE class to not grab at least one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 11:25 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I have the opposite view.  I'm not sure why people think we need to invest so much at the TE position.  Hurst was injured last year and missed 4 games.  At the same time, Drew Sample was also injured.  The Bengals didn't have a #1 or #2 TE for a 4 game stretch.  They won every game without a #1 and #2 TE.  The TE position just isn't as important a need as some of our fans keep making it out to be.

The Bengals offense depend more on just the matchups than any other team in the NFL. They don't use alot of motions, play action, or much misdirection at all. The Tight End position is naturally one of the better mismatch options in the middle of the field. Getting the right TE could really be a game changer.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
1-year "prove it" deal. Anyone who has a problem with this is just looking for a reason to b! tch.
Reply/Quote
Guys generally don't become healthier in their 2nd contracts. Both Smith & Jones need to be backups & mot depended upon. Smith is small for a TE but does have some receiving chops. Perhaps enough to split the safeties. TE2 for me. Passing downs. 4th WR type TE.

Still, with what was left on the mafket, a solid signing (not knowing the price).

I still think TE is the pick in the first, but it does not HAVE to be anymore. Could change if a premium guy falls to us, especially at OT, DE, CB, or DT.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 11:53 AM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals offense depend more on just the matchups than any other team in the NFL. They don't use alot of motions, play action, or much misdirection at all. The Tight End position is naturally one of the better mismatch options in the middle of the field. Getting the right TE could really be a game changer.

Agree.  A TE that can get down the field as a receiver is a valuable commodity.  Plus, you'd have him on a rookie deal which will help alleviate the loss of Boyd the next year.

Unless some top-tier OT, DL or CB falls I think they have to go with a stud TE if one is still there.
Reply/Quote
Well this guy approves of the signing…

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/jamarr-chase-reacts-to-irv-smith-jr-signing-with-hilarious-gif
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 10:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There’s really no one left on the market. He was the last decent option, so at least they got him.

Not sure why people thinks this takes double dipping at the draft off the table. I feel that’s still very much in play.

I didn't say it did. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Everyone is saying a 1 year prove it deal, but I thought I heard on 700 this morning that it was a 3 year deal. Can anyone confirm exactly how long it's for?
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:16 PM)Mer Wrote: Everyone is saying a 1 year prove it deal, but I thought I heard on 700 this morning that it was a 3 year deal. Can anyone confirm exactly how long it's for?

It is a one-year deal.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-signing-tight-end-irv-smith-jr-to-one-year-prove-it-contract

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/03/bengals-to-sign-te-irv-smith-jr
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:13 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: They love signing players when most people are in bed.

Probably happens a bit after they finish a late dinner with Burrow at The Precinct.    :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:03 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: [Image: 592fec15128f6cff4e761bf37690d98e.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another nice signing, frees up the draft a bit but cannot rely on Irv or Sydney to stay healthy, but hey, these guys are talented.

There is a reason both were drafted pretty high. Wouldn't surprise me if Irv Smith resurrected his career here and got paid big after.

Not a big TE at all, but he is fast when healthy and can run good routes.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Another nice signing, frees up the draft a bit but cannot rely on Irv or Sydney to stay healthy, but hey, these guys are talented.

There is a reason both were drafted pretty high.

So why was Drew Sample drafted high?

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:40 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: So why was Drew Sample drafted high?

Don't know lol

He was a mid to late rounder in all the mocks I saw. We drafted him 2 rounds too early IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:19 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: It is a one-year deal.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-signing-tight-end-irv-smith-jr-to-one-year-prove-it-contract

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/03/bengals-to-sign-te-irv-smith-jr

I just read that on the mothership. Thank you, though. 
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Don't know lol

He was a mid to late rounder in all the mocks I saw. We drafted him 2 rounds too early IMO.

There’s gonna be a team that signs Sample, and the fans will say

“There’s a reason he was a 2nd round pick. Very talented”

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 11:13 AM)BigRed75 Wrote: Definitely like the signing but if Mayer or Washington (I actually prefer Washington) are there at 28, I hope like hell the Bengals sprint to the podium. I’m honestly confused why so many on here is against taking a TE in round 1. If I can get a guy who helps in both the blocking and receiving phases of the offense, that’s like a two for one pick. Adding another receiving threat for Burrow almost makes it unfair. I liked CJ and Hurst but what kind of stupid numbers would this offense put up with a true TE1?

Because this TE class is deep as hell, we don't use a TE a ton in our offense, and we have 3 recievers that are really good. Best player available in the first round, always. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Another nice signing, frees up the draft a bit but cannot rely on Irv or Sydney to stay healthy, but hey, these guys are talented.

There is a reason both were drafted pretty high. Wouldn't surprise me if Irv Smith resurrected his career here and got paid big after.

Not a big TE at all, but he is fast when healthy and can run good routes.

You know if he resurrects his career then this place becomes ready made for TE free agents and that’s not a bad thing.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:51 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: There’s gonna be a team that signs Sample, and the fans will say

Doubt it. He is a good blocker and that is what they should say if they know football.

No one looks at Drew Sample and says, man, this guy is talented lol

Dude is slow as molasses at times, runs sluggish routes and is just not an option in the passing game. 

And I backed him up for a bit, but I am over him now. Welcome Irv Smith. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:51 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: There’s gonna be a team that signs Sample, and the fans will say

Are you Fred? I know you're Fred. You're Fred. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:53 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Because this TE class is deep as hell, we don't use a TE a ton in our offense, and we have 3 recievers that are really good. Best player available in the first round, always. 

Definitely understand, I still want Darnell Wright more than anybody or BPA, which could be Darnell Washington or Michael Mayer if 
Wright is gone. Could be Bijan Robinson, Gibbs, Addison, Smith-Njigba or one of the other RT's. Lots of ways we could go I would be
more than fine with.

(03-28-2023, 01:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You know if he resurrects his career then this place becomes ready made for TE free agents and that’s not a bad thing.

Dang rights, other TE's will look at this place in a good light.

Like Synric said, our Offense relies on mismatches, if we could get a TE that is truly a mismatch for Defenders it would add another
dimension to take our Offense to another level. Irv Smith is really quick for a TE when he is healthy.
Reply/Quote