Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Irv Smith a Bengal
I still think Irv Smith was the guy they were targeting when they traded back in 2019 and took Drew Sample. Solid TE for all 6 games you get him every year. This does help move up the more inexperienced TE's on my board. Other than that it doesn't change anything draft wise.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dude saw the contract that Hurst signed. Health has been an issue, but guys on one-year deals tend to not get hurt.
Reply/Quote
Front office makes another great move while storing money for Joe, Tee and Jamar.

As an original old geezer fan I have to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming about the current team running the club. So different from even the Marvin era much less the 20 years pre Marvin.

Thank you Bengals!
Reply/Quote
I would still bring Wilcox back and draft a high quality TE. Love the fact that they are still making moves. I keep expecting to see a big extension come through for #9. Probably after all draft guys are signed.
Reply/Quote
Needed this pick up, although hoping his injury plagued seasons are behind him now.

Still need to draft a TE, but this puts the Bengals in a BPA situation going into draft.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Was there even a hint we were talking to this guy? This is what I was talking about in the Zeke thread about the Bengals being very tight lipped about what they are doing. One thing with having mostly family running the organization, there are not the leaks there are in other organizations. Maybe it was out there and I missed it, but I don't remember reading anything about a visit.
Reply/Quote
Others said this, but I love this because it opens up round 1. TEs are deep this year, we can find an eventual TE1 in round 2. If we don’t trade Jonah, look for DL/CB to be in round 1. But likely can just go BPA.
Reply/Quote
Pretty happy about this, although I still think we will take a TE in round 2 (Unless Mayer falls to us at 28).
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
Smith is more pass catcher than blocker.
But for his career he averages a TD per 10 catches.
Thats Not too bad. I still think TE you have to go RD 1.
You cant Bank on Smith to be healthy for a full season
Smith is a upgrade in the talent department over Hurst.
Reply/Quote
This means they aren’t pidgeonholed into double dipping, but doesn’t completely takes it off their list. You have to be prepared for everything cond the draft. Runs on positions do happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:07 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Nice pickup.  I would rather have Smith than waste a 1st round pick on a TE.  I think this opens up the draft a little more for the Bengals.

Might still be in play for a TE @1  Smith isnt what i would call a long term solution

But it opens up the draft a bit
Reply/Quote
I like it... Health has been an issue if I'm not mistaken, but I like the player.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Meh - doesnt really move the needle much for me. It's a downgrade from the position last year.

Still need to draft a TE somewhat early. Im against round 1 but round 2 and on I am game for...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Ok pickup but he's only played in 8 games in the past two seasons, starting just 1.
Most of his production came when he was behind Kyle Rudolph.
He's fine as an insurance policy but I'm still going to target a TE in Rd 1 or Rd 2 depending on who is there at those picks.
At absolute worst, I'd target Schoonmaker in Rd 3/4.
Any draft TE can sit as TE2 behind Smith for a year, or even possibly supplant Smith and Smith can be TE2 this season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I really like this, but we still need one more veteran TE.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
If healthy, fully replaces hurst. Any competent TE will put up similar production.
Reply/Quote
This is a depth signing. Nothing against him, but as has been pointed out, nor very durable. We’re still drafting a TE in the early rounds.
Reply/Quote
I like it.

Whatever it takes to open up the draft and go BPA at a premium position.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 09:59 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I really like this, but we still need one more veteran TE.

There’s really no one left on the market. He was the last decent option, so at least they got him.

Not sure why people thinks this takes double dipping at the draft off the table. I feel that’s still very much in play.

Reply/Quote
This is who I've been saying we should sign at TE. Really like it!

That said, we still need another TE. He has some injury concerns. And TE's that we've had all seem to get dinged up. So you need 2.
Reply/Quote