Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Irv Smith a Bengal
(03-28-2023, 10:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There’s really no one left on the market. He was the last decent option, so at least they got him.

Not sure why people thinks this takes double dipping at the draft off the table. I feel that’s still very much in play.

We certainly need to draft a TE. Probably within the 1st 3 rounds.

This is kind of like signing OJ Howard last year...which we tried to do. Guy that has been injured and underperformed, but is young and has upside.
Reply/Quote
Here's his combine numbers and draft profile:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/irv-smith/3200534d-4900-0018-f675-8c060d792d35
Reply/Quote
When you are an AFC or NFC top level team you should be strong enough roster wise to be able to pick the BPA. Now they can. I mean seriously in no order a CB, OT, RB, or TE.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:13 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: They love signing players when most people are in bed.

Great signing though! This makes TE in the first not absolutely required (but still probably expected at this point).
this calls for a little Bob Segar

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tVP1zc0zDIpMCgoNzEyYPTizstMzyhRyM0vSy0GAHRaCLQ&q=night+moves&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS881US881&oq=nightmpves&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j46i13i131i340i433i512l3j46i13i512j46i13i131i433i512j0i13i512l3.3115j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 10:30 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: When you are an AFC or NFC top level team you should be strong enough roster wise to be able to pick the  BPA. Now they can. I mean seriously in no order a CB, OT, RB, or TE.

RT is still a concern depending on Jonah, but yes. I was totally against automatically taking a TE in the 1st.
Reply/Quote
It's not like Hurst was durable enough to play every game, but this guy seems to have even more health issues. However, if they can re-sign Wilcox, they'll probably be able to draft only one TE instead of two, which frees up either the 6th or 7th round pick for drafting the best punter instead of getting in a bidding war for him in UDFA.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:38 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: They have to draft a TE in the 2-4th rounds

I think this is the outcome. Round 1 isn't going to be Mayer, Washington, or any TE. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 10:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There’s really no one left on the market. He was the last decent option, so at least they got him.

Not sure why people thinks this takes double dipping at the draft off the table. I feel that’s still very much in play.

At minimum signing Smith at least gives Duke flexibility in the draft. He doesn't have to reach for a TE if he sees a different talent when they pick.
Reply/Quote
Definitely like the signing but if Mayer or Washington (I actually prefer Washington) are there at 28, I hope like hell the Bengals sprint to the podium. I’m honestly confused why so many on here is against taking a TE in round 1. If I can get a guy who helps in both the blocking and receiving phases of the offense, that’s like a two for one pick. Adding another receiving threat for Burrow almost makes it unfair. I liked CJ and Hurst but what kind of stupid numbers would this offense put up with a true TE1?
Reply/Quote
Injury prone TE with butterfingers. Bengals have dropped the ball at TE this free agency. I hate having to draft for need.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 10:33 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: RT is still a concern depending on Jonah, but yes. I was totally against automatically taking a TE in the 1st.

I'm feeling better and better about it. Between Williams, Carman, and Cody Ford, someone is going to step up and take the spot until Collins gets well. Then, 

Collins will have to take it back. Competition breeds excellence.
Reply/Quote
Seems a downgrade hope we didnt pay a lot
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 11:20 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Seems a downgrade hope we didnt pay a lot

It won’t matter who our TE is. If healthy and competent, the production will be there. Just like the last two years.
Reply/Quote

I have the opposite view.  I'm not sure why people think we need to invest so much at the TE position.  Hurst was injured last year and missed 4 games.  At the same time, Drew Sample was also injured.  The Bengals didn't have a #1 or #2 TE for a 4 game stretch.  They won every game without a #1 and #2 TE.  The TE position just isn't as important a need as some of our fans keep making it out to be.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 11:16 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Injury prone TE with butterfingers. Bengals have dropped the ball at TE this free agency. I hate having to draft for need.

Wow, super negative. Bengals won’t reach for a TE. If one is there at a spot they like, they will likely pounce. Bengals will go BPA, and rightfully so.

Irv smith will do fine here. Just like hurst and uzomah did, fine.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 11:25 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I have the opposite view.  I'm not sure why people think we need to invest so much at the TE position.  Hurst was injured last year and missed 4 games.  At the same time, Drew Sample was also injured.  The Bengals didn't have a #1 or #2 TE for a 4 game stretch.  They won every game without a #1 and #2 TE.  The TE position just isn't as important a need as some of our fans keep making it out to be.

I was kind of hoping to see Wilcox take the next step. 
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 11:25 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I have the opposite view.  I'm not sure why people think we need to invest so much at the TE position.  Hurst was injured last year and missed 4 games.  At the same time, Drew Sample was also injured.  The Bengals didn't have a #1 or #2 TE for a 4 game stretch.  They won every game without a #1 and #2 TE.  The TE position just isn't as important a need as some of our fans keep making it out to be.

Agreed. On all fronts. Irv smith is fine. Take out the outliers of the top 10% and worst 10% any tight end will produce. Shown by the last two years with different types of tight ends.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 11:16 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Injury prone TE with butterfingers. Bengals have dropped the ball at TE this free agency. I hate having to draft for need.

He has a higher career catch % than Hurst and Uzomah.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 11:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He has a higher career catch % than Hurst and Uzomah.

Catch % is based off of targets. If you play with an inaccurate QB, your catch % will be low. It has nothing to do with hands. Your point is dishonest. Shocking, I know.

Look up True catch rate, and that will be more telling

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote