Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irv Smith and Nick Scott
The Bengals biggest need that offseason was OT and nobody thought Orlando Brown was even a possibility and once again the Bengals were big players day 1 of free agency addressing premium positions. Scott and Smith were awful but they were basically vet minimum deals which you need to fill some spots because we cant spend big everywhere. Plus it looks like we hit on Battle so it kinda negates Scott. My biggest issue with Tobin is his O-line drafting but I think he's done very well in FA with Hilton, Reader, Bell, Chindo, Hendrickson, Cappa, Karras, Hurst, Brown , BJ Hill trade for Price ect.
Reply/Quote
Smith and Scott both appeared to be reactionary moves by Duke based on free agency and the draft not going well for replacing Bates, Bell, and Hurst.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 12:25 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Smith and Scott both appeared to be reactionary moves by Duke based on free agency and the draft not going well for replacing Bates, Bell, and Hurst.

Both were signed before the draft. They didn’t strike out on anybody in FA. They were always going to be conservative because of the draft. They drafted Jordan Battle.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 01:08 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Both were signed before the draft. They didn’t strike out on anybody in FA. They were always going to be conservative because of the draft. They drafted Jordan Battle.

They lost Bates Bell, and Hurst in free agency. They reacted by signing Smith and Scott. They liked TEs in the draft but it didn't work out.

Edit: I speculate they thought the draft could improve TE depth beyond the Smith signing. Taylor noted liking some of the TE talent:

Quote: There were certainly some tight ends that we had some regard for that got picked up pretty soon,” Taylor said. “Those first two, we really liked and you know they went with the 26th pick and 35th pick to Detroit. Those were two really good players who I think would’ve helped us. But again, we’re happy to not reach because we felt good about the group we had.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 01:08 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Both were signed before the draft. They didn’t strike out on anybody in FA. They were always going to be conservative because of the draft. They drafted Jordan Battle.

They absolutely struck out on the two guys they thought they were for sure signing at those positions.

Vonn Bell and Foster Moreau

Scott and Irv were reactionary selections.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 01:19 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: They lost Bates Bell, and Hurst in free agency. They reacted by signing Smith and Scott. They liked TEs in the draft but it didn't work out.

Edit: I speculate they thought the draft could improve TE depth beyond the Smith signing. Taylor noted liking some of the TE talent:

They liked La Porta a ton but not in the first round.

(02-18-2024, 01:42 PM)casear2727 Wrote: They absolutely struck out on the two guys they thought they were for sure signing at those positions.

Vonn Bell and Foster Moreau

Scott and Irv were reactionary selections.

They thought they had Moreau. He left and they felt good. Then his illness complicated things.

I was responding to the portion that signing Smith and Scott were reactionary because of the draft. They were signed before the draft. I would have agreed if they were reactionary because of losing Bell & Hudson and no mention of the draft. Smith and Scott were insurance if they didn’t find good replacements in the then next month draft.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
You gotta figure they were going to be money-conscious last year while trying to work out the Burrow extension. Thus why no "major" FA signings, just possible band aids for the guys that left and a reload via the draft. Not sure who else was out there to be signed by the time we knew Bell was going to sign elsewhere or what their price was, so I get the Scott signing. It just sucks that it didn't seem to work out. Hopefully, if he's not cut, he comes into next season with a renewed focus on a smaller role (back up and ST) and plays well. Gotta figure they'll look at a late round draft pick to give the safety room some competition and depth.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2024, 11:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We signed Jake Browning to a contract in JAN 23. So Ima classify it as a signing.  We can call it whatever we like but we gotta give Duke credit for it if we want to be fair. 

No one is arguing that Irv and Scott were good signings. But on a franchise that has signed: Antonio Bryant, Cordy Glenn (I know), Brought in Scott Mitchell to replace Jeff Blake, Antwan Odom, Ben Utecht, Gus Frerotte among others. I put Smith and Scott pretty far down the list

Antwan had the best game in Bengals defensive history did he not, 5 sacks in 1 game? Then got hurt.
Reply/Quote
Given how much other teams were willing to trade to get Myles Murphy, I think the biggest mistake was taking Myles Murphy instead of all of the other people who could've been acquired instead. Murphy didn't start playing well until he went up against backup offensive linemen, just like his college stats were padded so much by his performances against Wake Forest, Boston College, and G5 and FCS teams. IIRC, the biggest package offered for the 28th pick would've yielded the pick before LaPorta in addition to some other picks and maybe a player, and I have a feeling that LaPorta would be a Bengal in addition to whatever the other picks would've yielded. Given how defensive tackles, guards, and centers with second and third round grades weren't being taken until the sixth or seventh round last year, the other picks would've probably yielded better trench play.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2024, 03:04 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Antwan had the best game in Bengals defensive history did he not, 5 sacks in 1 game? Then got hurt.

You'll get some arguments about whether it was the "best" but yes, he had five sacks against Green Bay. He started off hot that year with eight sacks in six games, seven in the first two games. However, in the season prior he was very forgettable, likely due to injuries. He tore his Achilles a few weeks after and that was essentially the end of his career. He played a little in 2010 and was subsequently released. 

If he stayed healthy, I think he could have been a fine pick-up but he didn't and wasn't. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2024, 12:11 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: In hindsight, they were terrible signings for sure. Worst? No. Trae Wayne's and Antonio Bryant send their regards!

Wts, the Scott signing was short-sighted and rightfully so. They already had Tycen Anderson rostered and were probably figuring on taking a safety in the 2022 draft. He was one of those "sign X guy so we don't have to reach, it opens up the draft" band aid signings ALL clubs do. He had some decent tape in the starts he had in LA. Thankfully the Jordan Battle pick happened and thankfully it seems to be working out! As bad as he was, I don't see us cutting him w $2million+ of deadcap unless they draft a guy late-ish. He'll stay on as a backup one more year, unfortunately.

With Irv, I was one that was hopeful (and expectant) that he'd turn his career around here provided he stayed healthy. Man, was I wrong! And I wish I could pinpoint one thing he did at least somewhat well, but I can't. Sit on the bench? Does that count? Collect a check?!

AJ Hawk was a whiff too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2024, 01:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You'll get some arguments about whether it was the "best" but yes, he had five sacks against Green Bay. He started off hot that year with eight sacks in six games, seven in the first two games. However, in the season prior he was very forgettable, likely due to injuries. He tore his Achilles a few weeks after and that was essentially the end of his career. He played a little in 2010 and was subsequently released. 

If he stayed healthy, I think he could have been a fine pick-up but he didn't and wasn't. 

8 in 5, technically: he was hurt for the season early in that Texans game (on an uncalled chop block at that) and was incredibly stout in the run game as well.

We all noted on the mothership how quite thin and scrawny he looked in 2010 after the injury, compared to how he looked in '09 and he was completely ineffective as a result, released and then retired soon after.

He doesn't get hurt and he had a run at the sack record.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2024, 02:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: AJ Hawk was a whiff too.

AJ Hawk wasnt good the year prior for green bay. He was going off name value for a lot of bengals fans

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2024, 03:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: AJ Hawk wasnt good the year prior for green bay. He was going off name value for a lot of bengals fans

Yep, and apparently Marvin too. Hawk was initially a starter here. 

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2024, 03:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, and apparently Marvin too. Hawk was initially a starter here. 

yea but a lot of bad linebacker play here under marv outside of simmons, thurman, and burfict. You didnt have to be a good linebacker to crack a starting spot here

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2024, 03:13 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: yea but a lot of bad linebacker play here under marv outside of simmons, thurman, and burfict. You didnt have to be a good linebacker to crack a starting spot here

LoL, fair point

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2024, 02:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: AJ Hawk was a whiff too.

Hawk was at the end of his career and basically signed here on the cheap just so he could play on his hometown team before calling it quits.  I don't know what folks were expecting.
Reply/Quote
I think what makes Irv and Scott so polarizing is that they look more like a pre-Taylor FA signing. Most of what Taylor and Co have done in FA has worked out, those two didn’t.

Think about the signings from before Taylor, Bryant, Coles, Dexter Jackson, Sam Adams.

Is Adam jones the best FA signing under Marvin Lewis?
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2024, 01:14 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Two of the worst free agent signings in team history.

This isn't getting talked about enough. Why does the front office, and mainly Tobin, get off the hook for such an abysmal off-season last year?

Orlando Brown was basically gift wrapped to us. Every other move we made stunk and let's not talk about the guys that got away.

Really need to see more from Duke this off-season.

IDK

Antonio Bryant
L Cole
Antwan Odom

Might have a something to say lol
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 12:42 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Is Adam jones the best FA signing under Marvin Lewis?

Bobbie Williams and Tory James are probably better signings, and the whole 2009 defense thing, which if you don't remember, was basically the Bengals picking up a  whole bunch of defensive players that other teams cut and were still paying for because of the phantom salary cap that year.
Reply/Quote