Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irv Smith and Nick Scott
Simply based on our financial commitment to each they aren't even top 10 really.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 12:42 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Think about the signings from before Taylor, Bryant, Coles, Dexter Jackson, Sam Adams.

If I remember correctly, big Sam was playing through a foot or ankle injury, a large portion of his time here. He still had that quick 1st step but slipped a bit with leverage at times.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Nick Scott was definitely a meh signing, but Irv was just a disaster. The Bengals basically held out a cheap one year deal and wanted to see who would take it. The TE market was basically dried up when Irv signed on. Then he was trotted out like he was a super secret weapon. He really felt like Marvin Lewis FA signing. I've been on the draft a TE train, but of course the Bengals seem interested this year in an unbelievably weak TE class. I'd like Bowers, but I don't see us taking him. Plenty of the beat reporters have mentioned that the Bengals were on board for a TE last year, but Duke and Potts both mentioned that the board didn't fall like they were expecting. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 02:22 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Nick Scott was definitely a meh signing, but Irv was just a disaster. The Bengals basically held out a cheap one year deal and wanted to see who would take it. The TE market was basically dried up when Irv signed on. Then he was trotted out like he was a super secret weapon. He really felt like Marvin Lewis FA signing. I've been on the draft a TE train, but of course the Bengals seem interested this year in an unbelievably weak TE class. I'd like Bowers, but I don't see us taking him. Plenty of the beat reporters have mentioned that the Bengals were on board for a TE last year, but Duke and Potts both mentioned that the board didn't fall like they were expecting. 

Marvin is gone... But dont Forget the front office hasnt changed
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2024, 09:17 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Exactly. 

The signing themselves in a vaccum were meh. The signings, based on who they replaced, coming off of two back to back AFC Championship games...were disastrous. 

This wasn't us signing Antonio Bryant coming off a 5 win season. This was us replacing Jessie Bates with Nick Scott and Hayden Hurst with Irv Smith, then losing Vonn Bell, Perine, etc. All during a Super Bowl window.

Disaster of an off-season.  

If only there were a thread that called last year's FA the worst in the Burrow era that pretty much predicted what we're discussing right now.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 12:42 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I think what makes Irv and Scott so polarizing is that they look more like a pre-Taylor FA signing.  Most of what Taylor and Co have done in FA has worked out, those two didn’t.

Think about the signings from before Taylor, Bryant, Coles, Dexter Jackson, Sam Adams.  

Is Adam jones the best FA signing under Marvin Lewis?

Close, but i'd put Reggie Nelson higher.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 12:42 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Close, but i'd put Reggie Nelson higher.

They traded for Reggie Nelson. He wasn’t a FA signing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
On a positive note, Irv Smith and Nick Scott were not breaking the bank
However, neither made any impact on the field really, still resulting in underperformance by them/team overall.

We've got Battle to cover safety for safety continuity the next few years, but I'd like to see some continuity at the TE position.
Whether it's a draft pick or a FA, I want the next intended starting TE to be covering that role for the next few years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2024, 01:14 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Two of the worst free agent signings in team history.

This isn't getting talked about enough. Why does the front office, and mainly Tobin, get off the hook for such an abysmal off-season last year?

Orlando Brown was basically gift wrapped to us. Every other move we made stunk and let's not talk about the guys that got away.

Really need to see more from Duke this off-season.

Since this is still on the top of the page and I still haven't responded to it, I think I will now Weezy. I have heard and participated in plenty of
dislike towards these 2 players on here before so I think it has been talked about plenty. These guys cost us nearly nothing so I wouldn't say 
two of the worst FA signings in team history, we have had way worse. These guys played poorly for sure and we know now they need to go.

Thankfully Hudson and Battle stepped up and played well and hopefully we bring back Hudson while adding to TE and Safety this Offseason.

Really starting to lean into the thought of adding another vet Safety specifically in FA so we can move Dax to Slot Corner and free him up to
make plays similar to what the Ravens do with Kyle Hamilton.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2024, 01:14 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Two of the worst free agent signings in team history.

This isn't getting talked about enough. Why does the front office, and mainly Tobin, get off the hook for such an abysmal off-season last year?

Orlando Brown was basically gift wrapped to us. Every other move we made stunk and let's not talk about the guys that got away.

I’ve needed more from duke for years. Too many head scratchers year after year. U almost grace for it now and wonder where it’s gonna happen
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 12:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Marvin is gone... But dont Forget the front office hasnt changed

Marvin wasn't big on outside free agents. That was established in the Athletic article. Duke and his staff have definitely made some adjustments considering all the other free agents that we've brought in. I just find it funny that the two FA busts are players who play positions the Bengals historically don't value.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

The cost under $6 mil between them. They were poor, but hardly devastating financially. 
Reply/Quote