Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Boyd's Bengal's future in jeopardy?
(04-04-2022, 10:25 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We could be looking at Burrow making $50-55 million a year

This extension could happen after this season. The Bengals have done it before with Carson Palmer and there is recent precedent with Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes. Elite QBs get extensions after their third season, so if Burrow comes back out and lights it up again, then I would expect it to happen. I would also expect Mixon to be cut.
Reply/Quote
I think Boyd is okay until some of these new contracts come due unless his play falls off the map
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 10:28 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: This extension could happen after this season. The Bengals have done it before with Carson Palmer and there is recent precedent with Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes. Elite QBs get extensions after their third season, so if Burrow comes back out and lights it up again, then I would expect it to happen. I would also expect Mixon to be cut.

Yes. It's going to be MUCH harder to build a complete roster once that extension hits the cap.

It will put a premium on drafting and playing players on rookie deals and replacing them. Replacing free agents that left was one of the main causes to our issues several years back. When we lost Jones, Sanu, Nelson, Joseph, Whitworth, Zeitler, etc. They struggled to draft replacements for those guys.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 10:25 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: At $10 million, Boyd's contract is a value. IF he were a free agent right now, he'd probably get $15 million a year.

Might not be a bad guy to draft a WR in the next 2 drafts anyways...because I see no way we can afford Higgins and Chase once they're both free agents. My guess is that Higgins will be the 1st to go.

We could be looking at Burrow making $50-55 million a year and Chase making $25-30 million a year. That's going to be REALLY hard to build a team around that is balanced.

Allen Robinson just got 3 years/$46 mil.  No way Boyd comes close to $15 mil a year.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 10:03 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Let me ask this.

Would a team trade a 3-4 for boyd or just go pick up cole Beasley?  Boyd is better than Beasley IMO, but I’m not sure how much better.

Last two years
Beasley- 164-1660-5
Boyd- 146-1669-9

If we were able to trade boyd for a 3rd, I’d have someone like coke Beasley on line 1.  This only helps for 2022 maybe 2023, but I think other teams would have a similar line of thinking.
Very good question. Beasely is older, but good comparison. Boyd is a 10 million cap hit so it will be interesting if he is paid more than Boyd since WR contracts have sky rocketed or if we are just over paying Boyd.

Maybe we should sign Beasley if he is a lot cheaper, but we have a trade lined up.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 10:18 AM)deficiencyochocincos Wrote: I was in the camp of "ok with moving on from Boyd if cap was needed elsewhere," but the Bengals still have $18 mill in cap to work with.
Bengals haven't upgraded some of their depth, and they could still arguably use another starter at OG to compete with Carman, but they'll still have plenty even if they do those things.

I get the feeling they'll draft first then look to add veteran depth after based on how the draft goes.

So I'm ok with keeping Boyd another year and possibly moving on next year based on how this year goes.

I agree, the Bengals should hang on to Boyd for now.  They have one of the best, if not the best, trio of WRs right now.  My opinion is that is a big part of the team's identity for now and was especially noticeable last year when the big 3 made up for deficiencies in other parts of the team.  Now that the o-line is hopefully significantly improved if the Bengals draft a WR at some point that can be a serviceable number 3 WR then next year the Bengals should look at letting him go.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 10:18 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'd rather have Boyd and lose him as a FA than a fifth round pick this year

It's more than just that though in savings.

If moved on from this year:
2022 - $7.3 mill saved
2023 - $10.3 mill saved
------------------------------
Total - $17.6 mill saved

If moved on from next year:
2023 - $8.9 mill saved
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 12:01 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I agree, the Bengals should hang on to Boyd for now.  They have one of the best, if not the best, trio of WRs right now.  My opinion is that is a big part of the team's identity for now and was especially noticeable last year when the big 3 made up for deficiencies in other parts of the team.  Now that the o-line is hopefully significantly improved if the Bengals draft a WR at some point that can be a serviceable number 3 WR then next year the Bengals should look at letting him go.  

Yep they are well equipped now to potentially draft a WR to be WR4 this year (they need one), groom for a year (or two), then take over as WR3 after Boyd is gone.

As it currently stands, there's no depth WR I have any hope for on offense. Morgan, Thomas, Taylor, and Irwin are ST-only guys in my eyes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 11:23 AM)Whatever Wrote: Allen Robinson just got 3 years/$46 mil.  No way Boyd comes close to $15 mil a year.  

Robinson has quite the injury history. He had 410 yards receiving last year.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 12:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep they are well equipped now to potentially draft a WR to be WR4 this year (they need one), groom for a year (or two), then take over as WR3 after Boyd is gone.

As it currently stands, there's no depth WR I have any hope for on offense. Morgan, Thomas, Taylor, and Irwin are ST-only guys in my eyes.

Yep. IF they are planning on moving on from Mixon...might make sense to draft a RB too within the 1st 3 Rounds.

I feel like Round 1 is a CB.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we'd get enough value in a trade this year. Next year maybe (depending on stats), but the cap hit is a lot less next year to keep him. If he's a contributing member to a Super Bowl run I see more value in keeping him.

I'm leaning towards keeping him until 2 years from now when he walks in free agency.

If the trade value isn't there then I just don't see it. If we can get a second round pick for him then sure. But we aren't drafting a wideout in the 3rd or 4th that's going to be as good as Boyd (well we could, but the chances of that pick being as good as Boyd are probably around 15%).

The only other option I see is a player for player trade in which we pick up a corner. But I just don't see him being on the block right now.
Reply/Quote
How much of a wr trade market is left out there? DK metcalf is supposedly available for the right price. Teams are rumored to be inquiring with Washington about mclaurins availability.

Why would teams trade for Boyd when they can draft a pretty good wr prospect in rounds 2-4 themselves?

Don’t get me wrong, I would consider trading trading him for the price. Or possibly for a player straight up, such as cb James bradberry of the giants. I’m not saying the giants would do this, just offering an example of a potential trade type target

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:29 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: The Bengals are right in the middle of their Super Bowl contending window. No way am I taking away weapons from Burrow. If anything, I'm trying to add depth to those positions in case someone goes down.

Next year becomes a more likely scenario.

(04-04-2022, 09:35 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I can't see him being cut or traded this season as he is too valuable for depth. Next year though can be a different story, as I won't be too surprised if they try to draft his replacement this upcoming draft.

My thoughts on the matter as well. He still put up over 800 yards, and some really critical clutch catches all year long. I agree that after next season would be the year to seek a trade. Less of a cap hit to boot.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Comes down to if you are going to...

1. Try to win a Super Bowl in 2022
or
2. Not try to win a Super Bowl in 2022 so you can prepare for what MAY happen in 2023 or 2024

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:52 AM)Au165 Wrote: Amari Cooper was just traded for a 5th, the WR trade market is pretty crap right now. Boyd wouldn't fetch much of anything at this point mainly because the draft has been producing guys at such high levels. To move on at this point is foolish because we don't have any capable WR's on the roster after the top 3, so to give up one of those 3 would mean we don't even have what we need for starters let along depth. We will draft a WR, or two, in the mid rounds in preparation for a divorce with Boyd next year is my guess.

If we are talking about expendable bigger contracts, Mixon is the contract that should be gotten out of. Nothing against Joe but HB's are essentially interchangeable and having large sums of money tied up in them continues to be a fool's errand.

I think you'll get the same or better comp pick for letting Boyd walk after his contract is up as you will trading him now.  The only reason to move him is cap space and we are doing fine there.  

I think people forget that the Rams were extremely lucky that OBJ was available when Woods went down.  If not for that, they likely aren't SB champs. 

Mixon's deal only really made sense from a PR standpoint in that he was one of the few good players we had when he signed it.  It's frankly sickening that he has that contract as a skill position player, but you can't even play the guy during the 2 minute drill of the SB because he's so bad in pass pro.  In recent years, 1st and 2nd round RB's are pretty safe picks.  He needs to go next year.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 12:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Comes down to if you are going to...

or
2. Not try to win a Super Bowl in 2022 so you can prepare for what MAY happen in 2023 or 2024

This.

With Higgins and Chase on rookie deals we can easily afford to keep Boyd.

We may never be able to afford three WRs this good at one time again.  Let's see what Joe can do with them while we have them.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:20 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Tyler Boyd is paid a lot more than Higgins and Chase because they are on rookie deals and Boyd his second contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/tyler-boyd-19004/

He has an over 10 million dollar cap hit in 2022 with 2.4 million in dead money if we trade him this year. In 2023 he has an over 9 million dollar cap hit with only 1.4 million in dead money. We need to pay Higgins very soon.

Is now a good time to trade Tyler Bpyd and get some value, then draft his replacement? He is one of the better slot receivers in the league (a lot like Woods who Rams just traded) in my opinion.

I like him, but I see no way we can keep him once Higgin's is due his second contract.

Looking like one more year of 3 amigos.  I imagine they'll look to trade him next year so they can get Tee extended.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 12:24 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: How much of a wr trade market is left out there?  DK metcalf is supposedly available for the right price.  Teams are rumored to be inquiring with Washington about mclaurins availability.  

Why would teams trade for Boyd when they can draft a pretty good wr prospect in rounds 2-4 themselves?

Don’t get me wrong, I would consider trading trading him for the price.  Or possibly for a player straight up, such as cb James bradberry of the giants.  I’m not saying the giants would do this, just offering an example of a potential trade type target

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is as some have mentioned earlier, the Bengals have no depth at WR right now.  They have Chase, Higgins, Boyd and then a bunch of basically special teams players.  So letting Boyd go would mean there is a hole to fill.  Right now in my opinion the Bengals are in a good spot in the draft where in the first round they can probably draft the best player available within certain limits (obviously no need to draft a QB or WR in the first).   Then they can work from there.  If they let Boyd go this year then they have a significant need to find a 3rd WR. 

So I think it is best to keep him this year so as to not create another position of need.  That buys them at least a year find a replacement either through a post day one draft pick to develop or explore other free agent options for the 2023 season.

This may very well be the last year the Bengals have such a great WR group for Burrow to throw to.  It is a big part of the team identity and a big reason why they went to the Super Bowl.   Keep those WRs in place for hopefully another SB run this year and work on Boyd issue later.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 12:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Comes down to if you are going to...

or

This^

It would be stupid to move him this year. He is a starter and a damn good one on a reasonable contract and we are far from cash strapped. No reason to weaken our team now when it’s far from needed. Our WR room is 3 deep and then PS fodder after that. We need a 4th WR who can contribute. If we cut Boyd we need to try to find 2 WR’s that can actually play before the season starts.

No reason to hurt our chances this year and next. 2022-2023 will be our 2 best shots at ever winning a Super Bowl. We should be going all in these two years and when we have to make tough decisions afterwards we can deal with it then after hopefully winning 1-2 SB’s. 

OP stated we could move him to prepare for potential Higgins contract but Higgins is on a rookie deal for 2 more years and even if we move Boyd there is still no guarantee we can keep Higgins long term. Burrow and Chase are priorities and will crush our cap when time comes. We are likely going to have to keep drafting WR’s high almost every draft and roll with Chase in his prime and then a bunch of rookies for quite a while. If anything it could make more sense to tag and trade Higgins in year 5 and sign Boyd to a cheaper extension when his deal is up. 
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 01:29 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: This^

It would be stupid to move him this year. He is a starter and a damn good one on a reasonable contract and we are far from cash strapped. No reason to weaken our team now when it’s far from needed. Our WR room is 3 deep and then PS fodder after that. We need a 4th WR who can contribute. If we cut Boyd we need to try to find 2 WR’s that can actually play before the season starts.

No reason to hurt our chances this year and next. 2022-2023 will be our 2 best shots at ever winning a Super Bowl. We should be going all in these two years and when we have to make tough decisions afterwards we can deal with it then after hopefully winning 1-2 SB’s. 

OP stated we could move him to prepare for potential Higgins contract but Higgins is on a rookie deal for 2 more years and even if we move Boyd there is still no guarantee we can keep Higgins long term. Burrow and Chase are priorities and will crush our cap when time comes. We are likely going to have to keep drafting WR’s high almost every draft and roll with Chase in his prime and then a bunch of rookies for quite a while. If anything it could make more sense to tag and trade Higgins in year 5 and sign Boyd to a cheaper extension when his deal is up. 

I said consider moving him, but not in 2022 unless we plan on drafting his replacement in round 1 or 2. But, it is true Higgins is signed through 2023.
I think it depends on 2023 if we need money to extend Burrow and have planned for a replacement for a Boyd or a Mixon.

I was us all in in 2022 so please don't misinterpret why I started this thread, it is more about FO planning so we are ready, but I want this group together at least 1 more year. It will interesting to see if they can give JB an extra.5 to 1 second in the pocket. I think these receivers will get open more often if that happens.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote