Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Boyd's Bengal's future in jeopardy?
(04-04-2022, 12:59 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think you'll get the same or better comp pick for letting Boyd walk after his contract is up as you will trading him now.  The only reason to move him is cap space and we are doing fine there.  

Absolutely.  Give me Boyd for two more years at a reasonable price and the 4th or 5th round comp pick he'll fetch than whatever they would get for trading him now.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 12:59 PM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Looking like one more year of 3 amigos.  I imagine they'll look to trade him next year so they can get Tee extended.

Supposedly the salary cap is supposed to go way up too. Too many unknowns to say.

Also, while Burrow may sign an extension, it will depend on the cap hits.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 01:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I said consider moving him, but not in 2022 unless we plan on drafting his replacement in round 1 or 2. But, it is true Higgins is signed through 2023.
I think it depends on 2023 if we need money to extend Burrow and have planned for a replacement for a Boyd or a Mixon.

I was us all in in 2022 so please don't misinterpret why I started this thread, it is more about FO planning so we are ready, but I want this group together at least 1 more year. It will interesting to see if they can give JB an extra.5 to 1 second in the pocket. I think these receivers will get open more often if that happens.

2023 could be a possibility but we definitely need to draft a WR early this year (1st 3 rounds) if we are considering moving on from Boyd next year. We also need to hit on that pick and get him solid playing time as a rookie if that is the plan.

It’ll also depend on how our FA’s from this season and our first/second year players develop. We could see a lot of holes that we need to fill next year or very few depending on how the season plays out.

The cap shouldn’t be an issue next year either though so it won’t be a dire situation but at that point I could see if we draft another stud wr this year and can get a 3rd round pick trading him next year making sense. I don’t think they’ll panic about Higgins and think we need to trade/cut Boyd before Tee’s contract is up though. Saving $10 mil next season and putting that towards an early extension for Tee would help but on a long term extension it’ll only do so much. It won’t likely won’t make the difference between us keeping him or letting him walk, it’ll just make the cap hits easier to swallow as the contract goes on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 01:09 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: The problem is as some have mentioned earlier, the Bengals have no depth at WR right now.  They have Chase, Higgins, Boyd and then a bunch of basically special teams players.  So letting Boyd go would mean there is a hole to fill.  Right now in my opinion the Bengals are in a good spot in the draft where in the first round they can probably draft the best player available within certain limits (obviously no need to draft a QB or WR in the first).   Then they can work from there.  If they let Boyd go this year then they have a significant need to find a 3rd WR. 

So I think it is best to keep him this year so as to not create another position of need.  That buys them at least a year find a replacement either through a post day one draft pick to develop or explore other free agent options for the 2023 season.

This may very well be the last year the Bengals have such a great WR group for Burrow to throw to.  It is a big part of the team identity and a big reason why they went to the Super Bowl.   Keep those WRs in place for hopefully another SB run this year and work on Boyd issue later.

Don’t get me wrong, I am totally fine keeping him. I would only trade him if it was more advantageous for us to do so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:29 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: The Bengals are right in the middle of their Super Bowl contending window. No way am I taking away weapons from Burrow. If anything, I'm trying to add depth to those positions in case someone goes down.

Next year becomes a more likely scenario.
This, for sure.
Reply/Quote
Bengals probably need to add a decent WR in the draft regardless of any other moves.

Last year Stanley Morgan, Mike Thomas, Trent Taylor, and Trenton Irwin combined to play 393 snaps on offense. That's a pretty serious amount of snaps being given to PS types. Higgins had 710 snaps in 2021 for comparison.

Also hopefully will have to use Drew Sample less with a better OL now, and he had another 459 snaps on offense. So there's a lot of snaps out there for a 4th quality WR to be able to take.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:20 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Tyler Boyd is paid a lot more than Higgins and Chase because they are on rookie deals and Boyd his second contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/tyler-boyd-19004/

He has an over 10 million dollar cap hit in 2022 with 2.4 million in dead money if we trade him this year. In 2023 he has an over 9 million dollar cap hit with only 1.4 million in dead money. We need to pay Higgins very soon.

Is now a good time to trade Tyler Bpyd and get some value, then draft his replacement? He is one of the better slot receivers in the league (a lot like Woods who Rams just traded) in my opinion.

I like him, but I see no way we can keep him once Higgin's is due his second contract.

(04-04-2022, 09:29 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: The Bengals are right in the middle of their Super Bowl contending window. No way am I taking away weapons from Burrow. If anything, I'm trying to add depth to those positions in case someone goes down.

Next year becomes a more likely scenario.

Chemistry…. the Bengals don’t make the SB w/o tremendous chemistry. The defense sure had it. But the chemistry of Burrow and his receivers is special. Another year together it will be even more special. The Bengals are really building a championship team. The coaches are gelling and the team itself is gelling. They are just scratching the surface and with the much much better OL they are going to be really good if they stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be shopping him but I would listen to offers. If you can get better than a 3rd comp value then Duke should consider making the move.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 02:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Supposedly the salary cap is supposed to go way up too. Too many unknowns to say.

Also, while Burrow may sign an extension, it will depend on the cap hits.

I bet I could get odds that Burrow may well be Brady like with his contracts.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are trying to win a Super Bowl, not re-build their team. Don’t trade him unless it’s for something that’s going to make the team better immediately. They won’t get good value for him in a trade…maybe 4th round pick at best, and there is not a single player that will be available then that will be a better immediate boost to getting that SB win than Boyd is now. Most of the 1st round picks won’t even be that…

Keep him here until his contract is up, and then if he heads elsewhere, so be it. Trading him to help the team 3 years down the road is not where we should be right now.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
The value just isn’t there right now in the WR trade market. He’s worth way more to us than a day 3 pick. It’s crazy how little these good WR’s are bringing back. Just a few years ago we saw Belichick give up a 2nd for Mohamed Sanu…

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The value just isn’t there right now in the WR trade market. He’s worth way more to us than a day 3 pick. It’s crazy how little these good WR’s are bringing back. Just a few years ago we saw Belichick give up a 2nd for Mohamed Sanu…

i think that has to do with how fast they are coming in off the draft and majorly contributing these days... Used to take about 3 years for most WRs to get up to speed.  
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 09:34 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think that has to do with how fast they are coming in off the draft and majorly contributing these days... Used to take about 3 years for most WRs to get up to speed.  

I mean, Boyd himself did. I’d say that’s still much more the norm than a Chase or Jefferson coming in and tearing up the league immediately.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 10:25 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: At $10 million, Boyd's contract is a value. IF he were a free agent right now, he'd probably get $15 million a year.

Might not be a bad guy to draft a WR in the next 2 drafts anyways...because I see no way we can afford Higgins and Chase once they're both free agents. My guess is that Higgins will be the 1st to go.

We could be looking at Burrow making $50-55 million a year and Chase making $25-30 million a year. That's going to be REALLY hard to build a team around that is balanced.

I bet the cap increases substantially after this season due to new monies coming in from NFL Sunday ticket. Their is a bidding war ongoing between Disney, Apple, Amazon for those rights. $3 billion/year is possible and works out to almost $100 million/team.

In any case no way I’d trade Boyd this year when they are ideally placed to make another SB run. With 4 legit take it to the house receiving threats, no way I reduce it to 3.
For sure prioritize BPA at the skill positions this month but keep the band playing for another run.
Reply/Quote
Tbh I think we have better odds of keeping Boyd than Higgins. Joey B and Chase will cost an absolute fortune. Higgins won't be far off from that.

That said, I think we'll only keep Chase and have to cycle other guys in and dump them once they're off their rookie deals.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 07:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tbh I think we have better odds of keeping Boyd than Higgins. Joey B and Chase will cost an absolute fortune. Higgins won't be far off from that.

That said, I think we'll only keep Chase and have to cycle other guys in and dump them once they're off their rookie deals.

Agree and have said this in every thread with the same argument for 6 month's it seems. Been called crazy many times lol

Boyd is cheap enough it could work out, but Higgins will not be cheap at all. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
People might look back on this WR group 10, 20 years from now and say that they were a historically good trio. I guess there are some fans who enjoy talking about trading one away rather than sitting back and enjoying it. These guys were very good last year and there's no reason not to think that they can get even better.  
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 10:33 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: People might look back on this WR group 10, 20 years from now and say that they were a historically good trio. I guess there are some fans who enjoy talking about trading one away rather than sitting back and enjoying it. These guys were very good last year and there's no reason not to think that they can get even better.  

I expect Higgins to have a Huge year as teams try and figure out how to Stop Chase.

Boyd as Well....
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2022, 10:33 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: People might look back on this WR group 10, 20 years from now and say that they were a historically good trio. I guess there are some fans who enjoy talking about trading one away rather than sitting back and enjoying it. These guys were very good last year and there's no reason not to think that they can get even better.  

I suggested it was option. This is a Bengal's message board so all fans opinions all equal. For the record, I am enjoying the journey. You say make no changes which is fine, I say what would 8 million in cap money in 2022 and 9 million in cap money get us with other pieces of the puzzle? It is not just about draft picks, it is about improving the team. Beasley is an example of a guy with similar production, but will be much less expensive to sign giving us the ability to add other pieces as well.

The forum is about discussion, in the future please don't try and shut down threads with the bolded above, a cheap shot at another fan does not promote discussion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
At these crazy WR prices, doesn’t it make sense to keep Boyd? $10M/year is cheap.

Chase is going to get $30M when it’s his turn. Higgins will get 25M. I don’t see the Bengals paying both. Just like they let TJ Housh walk and kept Ocho. I think it will be Chase + rookie wr. Sad because I like Higgins.
Reply/Quote