Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Brandon Allen Still the Backup QB?
Tiger

I hadn't heard about him being cut so I assumed that he was still on the roster. I can't remember them bringing anyone else in....Maybe I'm wrong and missed it.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 09:38 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I hadn't heard about him being cut so I assumed that he was still on the roster. I can't remember them bringing anyone else in....Maybe I'm wrong and missed it.

He wasnt cut.  His contract was up and the Bengals havent made him an offer.  They were actually looking at bringing in an upgrade and so far have failed to do so.  Allen could end up back on the team but its clear the Bengals want to upgrade the backup QB position.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 09:38 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Zac was talking up Jake Browning
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 09:40 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: He wasnt cut.  His contract was up and the Bengals havent made him an offer.  They were actually looking at bringing in an upgrade and so far have failed to do so.  Allen could end up back on the team but its clear the Bengals want to upgrade the backup QB position.

Its a shame because having an adequate backup is almost as important as a competent starter in todays NFL. Its clear that they may not want to groom a guy thru the draft so It'll be interesting to see who they bring in as a veteran or young guy. There are many that think it lacks importance but I'm not one of them. Especially when they didn't find the need to take any offensive lineman in this draft. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 10:09 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Its a shame because having an adequate backup is almost as important as a competent starter in todays NFL. Its clear that they may not want to groom a guy thru the draft so It'll be interesting to see who they bring in as a veteran or young guy. There are many that think it lacks importance but I'm not one of them. Especially when they didn't find the need to take any offensive lineman in this draft. 
Yeah, offensive depth is an issue for me. I hope Volson takes a step this year and improves.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 11:32 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Yeah, offensive depth is an issue for me. I hope Volson takes a step this year and improves.

OT and WR are significantly better. 

Depending on how you feel about the Irv Smith/Hurst swap, TE is about the same. Sample as TE2 and Asiasi/Wilcox as TE3/TE4-PS is exactly where we were last year. I read Wilcox was injured/coming off a surgery, so we may be waiting on his recovery. 

OG is the same with Scharping #3. But we had no #4 last year. Ford kind of stinks, but at least he has played G in the league. It certainly isn't worse. 

C is the same. 

RB is a Perine for Brown swap. 
Reply/Quote
I think its this week, after the draft, that free agent signings will no longer count in compensatory pick considerations. So maybe we like one of these vets sitting out there. I'd take Mason Rudolph over Allen.
Reply/Quote
Addition by subtraction. It should be obvious that he's not the guy when no other NFL team is interested in him.

Personally, I'd like to see a 4th or 5th round QB selected next year just for the purpose of having a long time back up instead of sifting through the undrafted QBs hoping to strike gold.

As far as experienced free agents, I would pass on these . . .
Carson Wentz - Somewhat intrigued for some stupid reason. 33 TDs and only 7 picks in the season he was injured was way back in 2017.
Matt Ryan - Not mobile enough behind this line, especially in this division.
Teddy Bridewater - NO. I have never felt that he was a QB that could be relied on.
Joe Flacco - A lesser Matt Ryan at this stage.
Mason Rudolph - LOL! No. A lesser Teddy Bridgewater.

My choice would probably be Trevor Siemien. Not too old and has never played with talented skill players like Cincy has right now. Denver, New Orleans and Chicago were not blowing the doors off of anybody when he was on their roster.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 03:19 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think its this week, after the draft, that free agent signings will no longer count in compensatory pick considerations. So maybe we like one of these vets sitting out there. I'd take Mason Rudolph over Allen.

Some teams have way too many tight ends hope one gets cut that we can get as a number 2TE Irv Smith's injury history has me a little bit concerned.

Rather not have Drew as our 2nd best catching TE on the roster.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton is still a free agent. Also Baker Mayfield and Mariota.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 08:46 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Andy Dalton is still a free agent.  Also Baker Mayfield and Mariota.

All three are currently signed with other teams.  Dalton is with the Panthers, Mayfield is with Bucs, and Mariota is with the Eagles.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Bridgewater is still out there last I heard. Teddy would be a nice backup.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 08:52 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: All three are currently signed with other teams.  Dalton is with the Panthers, Mayfield is with Bucs, and Mariota is with the Eagles.

You are correct.  I was mis-reading the page I was on.  
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 10:09 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Its a shame because having an adequate backup is almost as important as a competent starter in todays NFL. Its clear that they may not want to groom a guy thru the draft so It'll be interesting to see who they bring in as a veteran or young guy. There are many that think it lacks importance but I'm not one of them. Especially when they didn't find the need to take any offensive lineman in this draft. 

IF Burrow gets hurt and misses significant time, they won't go deep in the playoffs. That's the reality of the NFL.

This team in particular is 100% built around Burrow.

Now, IF Burrow misses 3 games, then a backup can keep the ship afloat.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 09:40 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: He wasnt cut.  His contract was up and the Bengals havent made him an offer.  They were actually looking at bringing in an upgrade and so far have failed to do so.  Allen could end up back on the team but its clear the Bengals want to upgrade the backup QB position.

Allen makes $1.5 million. That is insanely cheap for a backup QB.

Unless they get a guy on a rookie deal, they'll have trouble finding a competent backup that makes that.
Reply/Quote
I think Matt Ryan is still out there. I wonder if we could persuade him to return for a backup role.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 03:19 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think its this week, after the draft, that free agent signings will no longer count in compensatory pick considerations. So maybe we like one of these vets sitting out there. I'd take Mason Rudolph over Allen.

Rudolph is pretty bad too. I don't know. It's a tough call between him and Allen.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 03:37 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Addition by subtraction. It should be obvious that he's not the guy when no other NFL team is interested in him.

Personally, I'd like to see a 4th or 5th round QB selected next year just for the purpose of having a long time back up instead of sifting through the undrafted QBs hoping to strike gold.

As far as experienced free agents, I would pass on these . . .
Carson Wentz  - Somewhat intrigued for some stupid reason. 33 TDs and only 7 picks in the season he was injured was way back in 2017.
Matt Ryan - Not mobile enough behind this line, especially in this division.
Teddy Bridewater - NO. I have never felt that he was a QB that could be relied on.
Joe Flacco - A lesser Matt Ryan at this stage.
Mason Rudolph - LOL! No. A lesser Teddy Bridgewater.

My choice would probably be Trevor Siemien. Not too old and has never played with talented skill players like Cincy has right now. Denver, New Orleans and Chicago were not blowing the doors off of anybody when he was on their roster.

Will any of those guys sign for $1.5 million?

I doubt that Wentz/Ryan/Bridgewater do.

Flacco made $3.3 million last year.

Bridgewater $6.5 million.
Reply/Quote

if it wasnt for Chad Henne in the KC playoff game VS Jax, theres a different outcome to last seasons SB
Im sure Bengals took note but looks like a swing and a miss so far. I would have liked to see them select the UCLA QB but I think Browns scooped him up 
Reply/Quote
This is our current QB room: Burrow and Browning, right?

They'll have to add someone just to have a body. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I guess they can look at veterans looking to stay in the league, UDFAs, or bargain XFLers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote