Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Burrow's latest injury FINALLY the impetus to going all out improving the O-line?
(11-17-2023, 05:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Zac calls plays like this is Madden.

The fact you used Z and Madden in the same sentence makes me a bit nauseous, no matter your intentions. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 07:23 PM)SladeX Wrote: I want top notch OL coaches to go with top notch talent. I don’t care how they get there. As mentioned above the coaching is the common factor to go with the mediocrity. Players regress under Pollack. But I’ve had enough of Volson as a starter. Get the best C in F A. Move our C to LG. If there is another upgrade available, take it. Enough with the experiments and projects being looked to to start (looking at you Jackson Carman).

I mean, if only someone on the team had a close relative that was possibly the best OL coach in the game.....
Reply/Quote
I copied part of this response from a post I made in another thread this morning.

The key to making the OL successful isn't in rotating a carousel of new players in, the ones we have are just fine. The problem lies in constantly asking them to pass block 40+ times per game without allowing them to first assert themselves and establishing a rushing attack. The Bengals weren't exactly kicking the Ravens' tails before Burrow went down. The Bengals offense is just plain too predictable and easy for teams to diagnose and defend. Teams that cannot switch over to a physical style and control the line of scrimmage will not win a championship in today's NFL. Zac Taylor needs to take a moment of introspection and come to a realization of what's working and not working.

The Bengals went against their grain a few weeks ago in San Francisco, they lined up under center and went toe to toe with a strong defensive front. For the most part it worked and they came away with the win. Since then, it's been back to the same old same old. Running the ball should not always look like a surprise play when people were expecting a pass. Showing a determination to line up, move the men in front of you and moving the ball on the ground does so many good things for a team's OL. It keeps the defense honest and not allowing them to simply come on an all out pass rush every play, it improves morale for the entire offense, as well as takes pressure off of the QB and receivers to constantly make clutch connections against increasingly tight coverages.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Eagles released former first round pick OT Bernard Williams yesterday. Of course he is 51 years old now but only played one season in the NFL before being suspended so he's still basically a rookie. Ninja

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/eagles-release-a-former-1st-round-pick-29-years-after-he-played-his-last-game/546815/

Quote:The Eagles released one of their former first-round picks on Thursday.

One who hadn’t played a snap in 29 years.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Frank's line has had two season ending injuries in 4 years to the franchise player. Time to go
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 08:20 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Frank's line has had two season ending injuries in 4 years to the franchise player. Time to go

Wrong. He wasn’t here in 2020

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 05:24 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I mean, at this point IT HAS TO BE, right?
If ownership stands pat with the O-line now... it's borderline CRIMINAL.

no i think it raises more questions on is he too fragile.. last nite injury was not oline fault, or was calf issue etc.. in the end being a QB is a physical game, Burrow at this point in his career has to start to have a question mark on his ability to stay healthy and is he a teflon QB like some  see in Lamar as a QB.. 
Reply/Quote
It’s not just the personnel. It’s the scheme. That’s why the Bengals keep plugging in new linemen yet the same blocking issues remain.
Reply/Quote
It wasn't the first time.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 09:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s not just the personnel.  It’s the scheme.  That’s why the Bengals keep plugging in new linemen yet the same blocking issues remain.

We're slowly entering the territory of the front office being inept again.

Marvin had some good teams, until guys left in free agency and they struggled to replace them.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 05:32 PM)Tomkat Wrote: OK, so a coaching change is in order then, too, yes?

Absolutely. Frank Pollack is trash. I've been calling him trash for awhile. He needs to disappear. 

(11-17-2023, 05:50 PM)Synric Wrote: I wonder if they will replace Volson this offseason. Its going to be interesting the rest of the year because they will lean on the run game so we should see them open up the playbook in that regard a little. 

I've been critical of Mixon as well this year. But these last few weeks he has come alive. Super Bowlz!

(11-17-2023, 06:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: we have basically replaced 4 of 5 spots the last 2 years so coaching is the common factor

Here's the thing that pisses me off. Pollack probably slept very well last night. I doubt his job is in jeopardy, but he should have been fired TODAY! He talks a big game (I want glass eaters), but he's a dumbass who has sucked for several years. He sucked at the Texans. He sucked at the Raiders. The Cowboy's fired his ass. He came to Cincy for 1 year, Bye Bye. Goes to the Jets and was horrid and they let him go. Then we bring him back? He is like the ugly Christmas sweater that family members pass around and your the unlucky one to have to wear it. 

Frank Pollack has to go. Bring in Zak Kromer.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 06:24 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: Draft a game changing edge rusher and then 6 OL. Hopefully, 3 will stick.
Go 3-3
Reply/Quote
Honestly think they've held their own this year. Perfectly average. 4/5 clustered around the mid-60s + Volson at 51. I wouldn't write home about it but they've been serviceable. Solid scores last night too and paved decent lanes for Mixon. The bar's been low but I still think they're ok. I expect a new RT and maybe LG but that's it.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 05:24 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I mean, at this point IT HAS TO BE, right?
If ownership stands pat with the O-line now... it's borderline CRIMINAL.

Andrew Norwell is one of the best guards in the nfl and lives in Cincinnati. He's ready to go. Idk why the FO doesn't call him up.

But bc our FO sucks and is so slow, he's likely going to go someplace else though.

What's the point of paying Joe Burrow all that money when he has little to no protection?

Same song and dance since he was drafted. I personally don't feel like he's made out of China. No one would stay healthy with the pathetic AF O line he's been given.

Almost seems like something Mike would do. On purpose.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 06:22 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: If they would have drafted the center over Carman and still brought in the players they did from FA you would have

OBJ
Karras
That crazy good center
Cappa
Williams

This is the direction I was hoping they would go. I don’t hate Karras, I just think he makes a better guard than center.
Reply/Quote
Unless changes are made with the Oline, personnel, coaching, play design, play call, run game, another season ending injury is just waiting to happen in the future.
Reply/Quote
If the team goes to crap without Burrow then they will be in position to draft a good RT prospect in the first round. This is a must. I would probably then take a G in the second as very good ones should still be available.
They will have other needs but it’s time for them to make sure they fix the O line first and worry about everything else later.
I also think Hudson should be re-signed to fill the TE spot.
Reply/Quote
We need a center. Move Karras to LG.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 11:37 AM)TKUHL Wrote: We need a center. Move Karras to LG.

Here's a pretty indepth analysis of the Olines across the league using a multitude of factors to determine best vs worst olines. Pretty damming how bad we are and will be a sad day if we don't do anything to improve it. We've tried getting numerous players you have to think the next step is getting a new coach. When one unit has been the worst in the league for years under the same guy you have to make a change. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/17ywg1z/ranking_the_nfl_offensive_lines_through_10_weeks/
Reply/Quote
You can't drop a qb back 40-50 times and expect him not to be hit.
Reply/Quote