Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Is Carman a bust?
(10-07-2022, 11:26 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Is Carman a bust... is water wet?

Just squishy..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He's getting paid less than the average NFL player and playing like it. We all hoped for better, but it hasn't happened yet. There's a reason rookie contracts are so low. Unfortunately, this reason is not talent level, but the need for teams to fill their rosters with low-end talent so they can pay their stars. He needs to improve just to get a 2nd contract, either here or elsewhere. I'm more upset with coaches who insist on continuing to use players that are hurting the team hoping for a miracle, because they're a good practice player, or because the player is THEIR guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 01:59 PM)puddycat Wrote: He's getting paid less than the average NFL player and playing like it.  We all hoped for better, but it hasn't happened yet.  There's a reason rookie contracts are so low.  Unfortunately, this reason is not talent level, but the need for teams to fill their rosters with low-end talent so they can pay their stars.  He needs to improve just to get a 2nd contract, either here or elsewhere.  I'm more upset with coaches who insist on continuing to use players that are hurting the team hoping for a miracle, because they're a good practice player, or because the player is THEIR guy.

He's actually the 47th highest paid G in the league. Considering there's 64 starting Gs, and he's not even the first backup at the G position and can't be active on game day, he's actually "playing" (if we're calling healthy scratches that) much much much worse than he's getting paid.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 02:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He's actually the 47th highest paid G in the league. Considering there's 64 starting Gs, and he's not even the first backup at the G position and can't be active on game day, he's actually "playing" (if we're calling healthy scratches that) much much much worse than he's getting paid.

Good work if you can find it though...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yes, he's a bust. In fact, he's so bad that they don't even dress him on game days, just to avoid the possibility of him entering the game and screwing something up..

The only reason he's still a "member" of this team, is that the team would have to eat dead money to cut him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I said when we drafted him, over drafted in 2nd round and MD have lost faith in Pollack molding our oline picks, especially early rounds
Reply/Quote
I shy away from saying year 2 players are busts so i won’t go that far but he’s not good right now. He was getting by for a long time on his athletic ability
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 07:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I said when we drafted him, over drafted in 2nd round and MD have lost faith in Pollack molding our oline picks, especially early rounds

Not a good track record at all.

It’s probably not fair to him cause we’ve had some crap linemen come through the doors but man….just doesn’t look good on him as a coach.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I’ve said it before.

We drafted him so high because he’s a Cincinnati lad and we were hoping it would light a fire to play for his home town team.

He’s got all the gifts needed to play in the league but not the mentality, taking away my personal feelings towards him with the underage girl thing he simply just doesn’t have the heart to improve despite being given every chance by the club.

He’s now lost out to a rookie from a low program and a waiver signing.

People on this board have just about as good of a chance as making it in the NFL as he does.

He will be cut next summer never to be seen again unless he ends up on TMZ for some more indiscretions.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 07:58 PM)Housh Wrote: Not a good track record at all.

It’s probably not fair to him cause we’ve had some crap linemen come through the doors but man….just doesn’t look good on him as a coach.

Fine line of is a high round pick under or over performing  because of their position  coach? I would say a they do have impact on their performance 
Reply/Quote
Looking at our draft history, 4 of our last 5 major busts ( 1st or 2nd round players that gave virtually no value for any seasons) have been offensive linemen.

Jackson Carman, Billy Price, John Ross, Cedric Ogbuehi and Eric Fisher.

Makes me very concerned about our ability to evaluate Oline Talent.
Reply/Quote
At what point do you start asking is it the Offensive Linemen or the Environment? Even the Free Agent linemen have looked average at best while other teams have day 3 picks and UDFA's playing at the level of the Bengals starters.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 07:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The only reason he's still a "member" of this team, is that the team would have to eat dead money to cut him.

Yup. If there was a zero penalty, no dead money, "not another dime" way out, he would not even own a Bengals t-shirt right now. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2022, 03:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was a fan of the Scharping pickup, and honestly I'd like to see him start over Volson.
I do think the OL would be upgraded with Scharping in there over Volson, personally.

Scharping only allowed 19 total pressures in 400 pass blocking snaps last year.
Volson is about half that already this season (195) and has already allowed 12 total pressures.
Volson has already allowed more sacks this year than Scharping allowed last year (3 vs 2).

Unfortunately with rookies, there are going to be some growing pains and I think Volson should get more time. Yes, it’s sucks when he screws up our RB or QB pay the price, but, that’s the cost.
Reply/Quote