Poll: Is Dalton A Top Ten Quarterback?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Dalton A Top Ten Quarterback?
(06-17-2016, 11:17 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I would absolutely put him in the top 10.

Our playoff woes are a team issue. He is hardly the only reason we've gone 0-5 these last five years. I mean hell, he didn't even play this last game, and he had absolutely no one to throw to the year before. So the last two years especially can't be held against him.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape over a QB going 0-4 in the playoffs to start his career. How did Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees fair in that regard?

Peyton is probably the only good example of that bunch. Rodgers and Brees got off to hot starts in the playoffs, I believe.

Now guys like Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, Flacco, Peyton, Romo, Palmer, etc? Not so much.

You also have to factor in the coach that Dalton plays for and how no one on offense has ever shown up, save for 1-2 examples from 7 playoff games.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Not a huge AD fan, but I have to give it up for him getting it done.
He's definitely reached the top 10 status, and closing in on the top 5.
Now if he can squeeze a few wins off in the Playoffs, then he should be considered as a top 5 QB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 05:00 PM)jason Wrote: Based off of last season yes. If 2015 was an anomaly, then no.

Based off of last season i would put him in the top 5, but i agree if he returns to his 2014 form he would
be middle of the pack or worse. I don't think 2015 was an anomaly though, sure as hell hope not.

Sure he had great weapons but he seemed to improve in every aspect of the game and it sounds like
what we are hearing from his weapons now that he has kept improving still.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 02:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Based off of last season i would put him in the top 5, but i agree if he returns to his 2014 form he would
be middle of the pack or worse. I don't think 2015 was an anomaly though, sure as hell hope not.

Sure he had great weapons but he seemed to improve in every aspect of the game and it sounds like
what we are hearing from his weapons now that he has kept improving still.

His biggest weapons are his quick release, AJ, and Eifert. They are all still here. It sounds stupid, but I think getting booed at the All Star game last year was great for him. I think it put a chip on his shoulder. I remember during preseason last year when he hurt his neck scoring from the goal line. He Gronk spiked the ball, and I swear he stared down the home crowd in the end zone. I posted something about it in a thread about Hill taking responsibility for Andy's injury. Nobody seemed to notice. He was just different last year physically and mentally.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Overall in his career so far? No.

Last year? Yes, I'd even argue top 5.

If he plays like he did last year again he'll easily move into the top 10.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If I need to win a playoff game tomorrow, all short-term injuries are magically healed, and I'm picking the most likely QB to help me win that game without any consideration to system or fit:

QBs I definitely take ahead of Dalton: Brady, Rogers, Brees, Roethlisberger

QBs I arguably take ahead of Dalton: Newton, Romo, Rivers, Wilson

QBs I probably don't take ahead of Dalton but think some people might make an argument for: Flacco, Palmer, Ryan, Luck, A. Smith, E. Manning, Carr

Assuming I take all of my definites and 2 or 3 of my 4 arguables before Dalton, I'm taking him 7th or 8th. Maybe I could be talked up to 5th or down to 10th but I don't see him leaving that range without further evidence on the field one way or another.

In the past year, I think Dalton leapfrogged Flacco, Ryan, and Luck on my list and separated from A. Smith, E. Manning, Stafford, and Tannehill. Plus Peyton retired. I had Dalton about 12th or so a year ago.

Not that my list means a darned thing, but there you have it.

Hopefully this time next year someone asks the same question and Dalton has made me list him in the top 3.
Reply/Quote
Since Dalton entered the league in 2011 only 7 NFL QBs have more tds (124), passing yards (18008), and a higher passer rating (88.4) than Dalton.

Rodgers
Brees
Brady
Roethisberger
Rivers
Ryan
Stafford
Reply/Quote
Of course Andy is in the top 10. I don't know about top 10 of all time, but among active players absolutely..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Based on last season, yes.

Based on whole NFL career, no.

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 03:21 PM)jason Wrote: His biggest weapons are his quick release, AJ, and Eifert. They are all still here. It sounds stupid, but I think getting booed at the All Star game last year was great for him. I think it put a chip on his shoulder. I remember during preseason last year when he hurt his neck scoring from the goal line. He Gronk spiked the ball, and I swear he stared down the home crowd in the end zone. I posted something about it in a thread about Hill taking responsibility for Andy's injury. Nobody seemed to notice. He was just different last year physically and mentally.

I think you are right.

He needed a little push i guess. Dalton was different last year in a great way.

Hope he continues that way.
Reply/Quote
I think his supporting cast last season made him better than what he is(I think he is more 10 -15 than 5-10) with Green, Eifert, Marvin Jones, Benard, and Hill. Also our offensive line is pretty good as well. Funny thing though I don't think this supporting cast will be that much worse. So I think Andy will play just as well and we we will see him have a MVP like season this year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Yes!!!! Next question.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 03:21 PM)jason Wrote: His biggest weapons are his quick release, AJ, and Eifert. They are all still here. It sounds stupid, but I think getting booed at the All Star game last year was great for him. I think it put a chip on his shoulder. I remember during preseason last year when he hurt his neck scoring from the goal line. He Gronk spiked the ball, and I swear he stared down the home crowd in the end zone. I posted something about it in a thread about Hill taking responsibility for Andy's injury. Nobody seemed to notice. He was just different last year physically and mentally.

I noticed, and you're right.  Also, I'm one of the few who think he played well, not great, in 2014.  We had a SHIT TON of injuries in the WR department, and Eifert.....and we still won 10 games and made the playoffs with what amounted to a MASH unit.  The guy had rushing TDs, a TD reception, played a game on IVs in Tampa, what more can you ask from the guy?

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2016, 09:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since Dalton entered the league in 2011 only 7 NFL QBs have more tds (124), passing yards (18008), and a higher passer rating (88.4) than Dalton.

Rodgers
Brees
Brady
Roethisberger
Rivers
Ryan
Stafford

It's a "passer friendly league", look at his weapons, blah, blah, blah.....

Reply/Quote
Some thoughts from the "pundits"....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000669961/article/andy-dalton-top10-quarterback-top-100-ranking-stokes-great-debate?campaign=tw-nf-sf29016972-sf29016972

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 01:44 PM)jj22 Wrote: Some thoughts from the "pundits"....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000669961/article/andy-dalton-top10-quarterback-top-100-ranking-stokes-great-debate?campaign=tw-nf-sf29016972-sf29016972

That link was attached to the original post on this thread..
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 10:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: I noticed, and you're right.  Also, I'm one of the few who think he played well, not great, in 2014.  We had a SHIT TON of injuries in the WR department, and Eifert.....and we still won 10 games and made the playoffs with what amounted to a MASH unit.  The guy had rushing TDs, a TD reception, played a game on IVs in Tampa, what more can you ask from the guy?

All true Wyche. I think i am with you considering the injuries to the Wideouts in 2014.

I doubt even the great ones like Brady or Peyton would of done much better than Dalton if the same thing happened to them.

Dalton's TD reception was cool too man, forgot about that. Cool
Reply/Quote
we should be past top 10 questions he was pushing into the "elite" qb status last year.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true Wyche. I think i am with you considering the injuries to the Wideouts in 2014.

I doubt even the great ones like Brady or Peyton would of done much better than Dalton if the same thing happened to them.

Dalton's TD reception was cool too man, forgot about that. Cool

Ha, ha, ha....yeah, that was a fun play to watch....AFTER he scored, I thought he was gonna get de-cleated at first.

Brady and Peyton would have done a good job, most likely better, but not many in the league could have done better than Andy that year.  I personally feel he began to emerge in 2013, and has been on an upward trajectory since.  I could be wrong, but that's just what I've seen from the guy from my living room.  Of course, I'm not looking to nit pick every move the guy makes, either. (obviously you're not one to do that, but it seems a lot are)  I think he looked comfortable and confident in the pocket starting in 2014 (remember the Ravens game before Eifert went down?), and last year was the cherry on top.  Hopefully he hasn't lost that swagger and poise.

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 03:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: we should be past top 10 questions he was pushing into the "elite" qb status last year.

Contrary to Ravens fans opinions one elite season (or playoff run) doesn't make a QB elite. If Dalton keeps playing like he did last year he'll be pushing elite status in no time.   ThumbsUp 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote