Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Dre K really worth much in trade?
I don't think so. Especially when you see that a trade market for CBs has just been set, with Jacksonville trading AJ Bouye to Denver, for a 4th round pick.

With Bouye due $13M this year and next, and being a former Pro Bowler, I think it's easy to consider Bouye a bigger name player than Dre Kirkpatrick, whom many around here seem to think of as "great trade bait".

Here's Bouye's contract info.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/aj-bouye-12795/

Not going to waste my time posting link about the trade, it's breaking everywhere, right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Dre could possibly net a 6th but I think we cut him in the end.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 07:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: Dre could possibly net a 6th but I think we cut him in the end.

Cut him, are you thinking that Phillips is ready to step up to be the full time starter?  Because I think it would be unwise to cut Dre outright, without at least attempting to get something in return.  They would then be creating another roster hole to fill via free agency or the draft, and in the big picture, when healthy he's a solid, experienced corner who might have a career year should the LB position be upgraded appropriately.  At least in my opinion.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 08:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Cut him, are you thinking that Phillips is ready to step up to be the full time starter?  Because I think it would be unwise to cut Dre outright, without at least attempting to get something in return.  They would then be creating another roster hole to fill via free agency or the draft, and in the big picture, when healthy he's a solid, experienced corner who might have a career year should the LB position be upgraded appropriately.  At least in my opinion.

This... I like Phillips too, but he hasn't played that much. Hell some of us are already sold on the practice squad tackle that played 2 games.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Given our cap situation, I don't see why we would cut anyone that has been a good contributor. Dre has been solid. I don't think anyone would trade for him and his contract, but I also wouldn't cut him without a good replacement.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 08:19 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Given our cap situation, I don't see why we would cut anyone that has been a good contributor.  Dre has been solid.  I don't think anyone would trade for him and his contract, but I also wouldn't cut him without a good replacement.

I agree, no need to create yet another hole to fill, this year.  I say they should let him play it out, and plan to draft his replacement next year.  Phillips has looked good enough to hold down the spot, but I don't want him out there as the only option just yet.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Cut him and sign a stud. If you can't do that then hang onto him. That simple.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:11 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Cut him and sign a stud. If you can't do that then hang onto him. That simple.

LOL..

Have the Bengals ever done that?
Reply/Quote
Cap hit if we cut the guy? I think if he has little to know cap hit, then they have a another player in FA in mind and cutting him makes sense.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:22 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Cap hit if we cut the guy? I think if he has little to know cap hit, then they have a another player in FA in mind and cutting him makes sense.

Any player of his caliber will cost us more.  I'd roll with him and Phillips one more year.  If Phillips beats him out, then he's done.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 08:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Cut him, are you thinking that Phillips is ready to step up to be the full time starter?  Because I think it would be unwise to cut Dre outright, without at least attempting to get something in return.  They would then be creating another roster hole to fill via free agency or the draft, and in the big picture, when healthy he's a solid, experienced corner who might have a career year should the LB position be upgraded appropriately.  At least in my opinion.

I believe we will sign a relatively high priced FA corner(or trade for one) as wild as that sounds. Historically corner is one of those places we have always been willing to pay top dollar, usually too our own guys but I wonder if that was as much a Marvin preference than anything.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: I believe we will sign a relatively high priced FA corner(or trade for one) as wild as that sounds. Historically corner is one of those places we have always been willing to pay top dollar, usually too our own guys but I wonder if that was as much a Marvin preference than anything.

Yeah, that's part of where mine and the team's philosophy on value of defensive personnel differs.  I think that you get more mileage out of having great Safeties than you do with great Corners.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: I believe we will sign a relatively high priced FA corner(or trade for one) as wild as that sounds. Historically corner is one of those places we have always been willing to pay top dollar, usually too our own guys but I wonder if that was as much a Marvin preference than anything.

Who do you think would be on our radar? Slay is out of the question.

I am on the bubble with cutting Kirkpatrick still. I understand Sunset, Jason and Hammerstripes thoughts here.

Might want to wait for next year to cut Dre, I just don't see some solid Corner here. 

Dre is bad at tackling and is not a good cover Corner. He tries hard, I will give him this and he is better than Webb.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, that's part of where mine and the team's philosophy on value of defensive personnel differs.  I think that you get more mileage out of having great Safeties than you do with great Corners.

Karl Joseph would be my guy if we want a Safety in FA.
Reply/Quote
Darius Phillips deserves a chance to start and he looks best on the outside.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Dre n Webb should be cut. Addition by subtraction
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 08:18 PM)jason Wrote: This... I like Phillips too, but he hasn't played that much. Hell some of us are already sold on the practice squad tackle that played 2 games.

I'm with you and Sunset on this. A couple of years ago, I remember a CB on the roster that played lights out in spot duty, we all want him to start, well he did, 1 game and shit the bed. Can't remember the name though?
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:57 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Dre n Webb should be cut.   Addition by subtraction

I have a feeling both guys will be around training camp.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2020, 09:51 PM)Synric Wrote: Darius Phillips deserves a chance to start and he looks best on the outside.

He does in my limited vision, he is a ballhawk and can take it to the house on any play as well.

Seems like a gamechanger to me. I can handle my Corners getting beat a bit and then making a big play.

I just cannot handle my Corners getting beat over and over again and not making a play while just trying hard and making lots of 
dough in doing such. Dre just shouldn't make so much money because of this and him being a 1st round pick. He clearly is not a 
good 1st round pick, he just isn't a bad Cornerback. I don't consider Kirkpatrick solid if he is a terrible tackler, cannot hold onto the
ball and has trouble covering often.
Reply/Quote
Yeah as really D.P. could be a starter right away.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote