Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Front Office in Rebuild mode in 2020
This thread is not about personal hope of yes or no we are in rebuild mode this year.

State your case (facts) on if FO is rebuilding or not this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 08:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This thread is not about personal hope of yes or no we are in rebuild mode this year.

I don't understand?  Most if not all of the front office personnel are still in place, correct?

Roster wise, I think yeah mostly.  These next two or three drafts will be key.  I view them much like the 2011-2012-2013 stretch when they built up to what they had in 2013-15.  Hopefully they can get some major foundation pieces.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 08:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This thread is not about personal hope of yes or no we are in rebuild mode this year.

I don't think we can definitively say yet. Need to see who they're going to retain/get rid of. What they do in FA. What happens in draft.

OFFENSE- I think they're close.
DEFENSE- I think we need a few pieces

Like a poster said before me with a couple of good drafts we could be serious contenders in 2-3 years...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote

It's a bit too early for this thread.  There are no facts to build an opinion upon, at this point in time.  The soonest we will have a real indication, is the rest of the leadup to free agency and the first two weeks of free agency activity.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 08:19 PM)samhain Wrote: I don't understand?  Most if not all of the front office personnel are still in place, correct?

Roster wise, I think yeah mostly.  These next two or three drafts will be key.  I view them much like the 2011-2012-2013 stretch when they built up to what they had in 2013-15.  Hopefully they can get some major foundation pieces.

The question was is the FO rebuilding the roster (rebuild versus win now mode)?

I have seen no signs as of yet rebuild mode as vets have not been traded or cut yet.
 I see a vet team changing at QB with the rest of the former pieces mostly in place.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 09:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's a bit too early for this thread.  There are no facts to build an opinion upon, at this point in time.  The soonest we will have a real indication, is the rest of the leadup to free agency and the first two weeks of free agency activity.

It us a little early, but keeping AJ, keeping Geno and Dunlap all point to no rebuild. The early part is can't trade yet so time will tell.

But if Green is tagged with intent to keep him here, goal appears to win now still.

Reply/Quote
Lets see once FA starts
Reply/Quote
Evidence that they aren't rebuilding:
1. They have not yet cut big cap carriers like Dre Kirkpatrick and Cordy Glenn (they may still do it, but they haven't yet).
2. They have spoken, several times, about being more active in free agency this year (it's not worth much, but maybe they actually mean it this time).
3. If they franchise AJ Green and keep him through the 2020 season, then that would mean they aren't rebuilding. Cuz paying a 32 year old injury prone WR 18 million dollars for a rebuilding year wouldn't be a great idea.

We can't be sure what the Bengals are doing until we see how they behave in the free agency period, but based on reports about AJ Green being Franchised and the discussions about free agency so far tell me they intend to compete in 2020.

And not cutting the big contracts isn't necessarily an indicator, since the Bengals never cut bait on old, expensive players when they should, but if they did, that would be at least a partial indication that a rebuild is beginning. Of course, if they turn around and use that money in free agency, then that would be actually indicate an intention to compete, so that one may not mean anything one way or the other.

Now, if they were to cut Atkins or Dunlap, that would be a definitive turn towards rebuild. But they also will never ever do something like that.
Reply/Quote
I guess it depends in large part to the definition of rebuild. To some people it means wholesale cuts to over half the team. To others it means a few here and there. This team has some talented players so I really don't think a wholesale rebuild is in he works nor is it necessary. The dead weight needs to go, but not on a wholesale level. Part of the problem the past several years has been the musical chair coaching changes especially among coordinators. Some definitely needed to go and some probably should have been retained, but there were so many coming and going it was tough to know who was going to coach what.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Both? You don’t move on from a relatively young franchise QB and not call it a rebuild. And if we add some impact player vets in free agency like I think we will that pushes the needle to win now mode.

If we were rebuilding we would trade out of #1 and load up. If we are in win now we sit tight and take the All World Heisman king.

It’s a win now rebuild mode that hopefully anybody but Tobin and Mike Brown are leading. I’d take the make a wish kid who wants to be an NFL GM and let him run the offseason before those two.
Reply/Quote

NO, NO and NO.  

They got new coaches in 2018 and in 2019 a new head coach and new coaches. 

They are in the process of getting some new players.  The top pick in every round should help. 

But there is nothing new about Mike Brown, Katey Brown, Paul Brown Jr, Charlie Brown, Buster Brown, Molly Brown, Sweet Georgia Brown, Savoy Brown, Les Brown, Joe E Brown and French Cousins Troy Blackburn and Bill & Duke of Earl Tobin. 

There is NOTHING new about Bengals Front Office, I am sorry to say.   Anybody that claims some stats to the contrary should look up Mark Twain who said, "  There are three kinds of lies.  Lies, damned lies and statistics. 

Is there any rebuild of Bengals from Top to Bottom.   Sadly the answer is NO, NO and NO.  Their reign of no play-off wins and most 0-4 starts since Pops died in 1991 continues.

Is there even a new Attitude. A FOCUS ON WINNING. Until the Brown Family proves different, it is as the Talking Heads, SAME AS IT EVER WAS, SAME AS IT EVER WAS.

It's enough to change my mood from Hopeful to Bleak, but I always hope that perhaps some coaches and players can WIN in spite of the worst front office in the NFL.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

I believe they are and it actually started last year.  They hired Taylor and a bunch of new coaches.  This year, they are prepared to move on from Dalton and will likely move on from Cordy Glenn.  Those were two "cornerstones" just two seasons ago.  

The real question isn't so much about a rebuild, as that implies "going younger" and not just different, but will they make a couple FA moves to shore up the defense and offensive line before the draft.  How far will they go?  If I had to guess, they will go after at least ONE FA that will make us have more optimism about the upcoming season.   I have no idea who that player will be, but I would love to see something surprising like Jadeveon Clowney.

Before everyone laughs, how many of us have said at one time:  "Wouldn't it be great to get both Chase Young AND Joe Burrow?"  Well, essentially, the Bengals could do that.  I think every single one of us would find a way to live without Dre for Clowney, and I would also go so far as to say that the TEAM would be more improved than if they signed a FA Guard like Thuney or Scherff.  If they had to pay Clowney close to $20 million per year (I would make it incentive-laden to reach that amount, but that is what most players want the rest of the world to hear:  the potential top dollar), that is only 7-8 million more per year than those guards, and that money could come from Dre.  ALL the secondary would benefit from a pass rush that would include Clowney lining up all over the line.

Sign Clowney and a guy like Kendall Fuller for depth at CB, cut Dre, Glenn, and trade Dalton and this would be more than a rebuild, it would be a transformation.  
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 06:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I believe they are and it actually started last year.  They hired Taylor and a bunch of new coaches.  This year, they are prepared to move on from Dalton and will likely move on from Cordy Glenn.  Those were two "cornerstones" just two seasons ago.  

The real question isn't so much about a rebuild, as that implies "going younger" and not just different, but will they make a couple FA moves to shore up the defense and offensive line before the draft.  How far will they go?  If I had to guess, they will go after at least ONE FA that will make us have more optimism about the upcoming season.   I have no idea who that player will be, but I would love to see something surprising like Jadeveon Clowney.

Before everyone laughs, how many of us have said at one time:  "Wouldn't it be great to get both Chase Young AND Joe Burrow?"  Well, essentially, the Bengals could do that.  I think every single one of us would find a way to live without Dre for Clowney, and I would also go so far as to say that the TEAM would be more improved than if they signed a FA Guard like Thuney or Scherff.  If they had to pay Clowney close to $20 million per year (I would make it incentive-laden to reach that amount, but that is what most players want the rest of the world to hear:  the potential top dollar), that is only 7-8 million more per year than those guards, and that money could come from Dre.  ALL the secondary would benefit from a pass rush that would include Clowney lining up all over the line.

Sign Clowney and a guy like Kendall Fuller for depth at CB, cut Dre, Glenn, and trade Dalton and this would be more than a rebuild, it would be a transformation.  

I agree, we have a chance to be overly aggressive in FA if we cut/trade the right guys. Great post.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 06:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I believe they are and it actually started last year.  They hired Taylor and a bunch of new coaches.  This year, they are prepared to move on from Dalton and will likely move on from Cordy Glenn.  Those were two "cornerstones" just two seasons ago.  

Signing Clowney would be similar to the way the then inept " no one wants to play here" Packers started their turn around by "overpaying" for Reggie White- who turned out to be worth every penny.
Reply/Quote
I sure hope they're at least doing something besides the normal standing pat. But it's to early to tell.

We'll see how serious they are, soon.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 02:10 AM)kevin Wrote: NO, NO and NO.  

They got new coaches in 2018 and in 2019 a new head coach and new coaches. 

They are in the process of getting some new players.  The top pick in every round should help. 

But there is nothing new about Mike Brown, Katey Brown, Paul Brown Jr, Charlie Brown, Buster Brown, Molly Brown, Sweet Georgia Brown, Savoy Brown, Les Brown, Joe E Brown and French Cousins Troy Blackburn and Bill & Duke of Earl Tobin. 

There is NOTHING new about Bengals Front Office, I am sorry to say.   Anybody that claims some stats to the contrary should look up Mark Twain who said, "  There are three kinds of lies.  Lies, damned lies and statistics. 

Is there any rebuild of Bengals from Top to Bottom.   Sadly the answer is NO, NO and NO.   Their reign of no play-off wins and most 0-4 starts since Pops died in 1991 continues.

Is there even a new Attitude.  A FOCUS ON WINNING.   Until the Brown Family proves different,  it is as the Talking Heads,  SAME AS IT EVER WAS, SAME AS IT EVER WAS.

It's enough to change my mood from Hopeful to Bleak, but I always hope that perhaps some coaches and players can WIN in spite of the worst front office in the NFL.

C'mon kevin.. Tell us what you really think about the Brown family. Stop holding back those repressed feelings. It's not good for you.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
If the front office is rebuilding they wouldn't stop at trying to trade Dalton. They'd also try to trade Dre, Gio, Glenn, and tag and trade Green. They actually probably would have started this process before the trade deadline last season.

I don't think they are rebuilding (although they should be).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

every offseason is rebuild time.....

But no a true rebuild period would see us jettison as many large contracts and aging vets as we could.

As for the front office?  seems pretty much the same as last year so no rebuild there either.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 09:02 PM)JSR18 Wrote: I don't think we can definitively say yet. Need to see who they're going to retain/get rid of. What they do in FA. What happens in draft.

OFFENSE- I think they're close.
DEFENSE- I think we need a few pieces

Like a poster said before me with a couple of good drafts we could be serious contenders in 2-3 years...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2025 will be our year we are on a 10 year cycle. lol
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2020, 01:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: every offseason is rebuild time.....

But no a true rebuild period would see us jettison as many large contracts and aging vets as we could.

As for the front office?  seems pretty much the same as last year so no rebuild there either.

Rebuild to me means expect a poor record in 2020 if they are rebuilding. 

Each year teams reload, only a few rebuild.

Reply/Quote