Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is J. Hill slumping, or is G. Bernard better?
(09-27-2015, 05:56 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Hill looked like ass today, but Gio didn't look much better.  The O-Line seemed to have a poor run-blocking day, mainly because of Bodine.

I think that they're both great backs and I'm glad to have them.  They should continue to go with whoever is hotter in the backfield.

Didn't I hear that the Ratbirds hadn't given up a 100 yard game by a runner in a bunch of games?  They usually do play the run very well.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 05:36 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Gio: 28 for 186 yards (0 TDs, 6.6 YPC)
Hill: 29 for 102 yards (2 TDs, 3.5 YPC, 2 fumbles)

He looks like a different guy this year ... actually they both look like different guys this year. Gio looks like rookie Gio, and Hill looks like BJGE.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 05:56 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Didn't PFF have him rated as the #1 or #2 centet in the NFL through the first two games?

Doesn't speak well of PFF. Bodine has been a problem all season and even in preseason.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 06:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: Doesn't speak well of PFF. Bodine has been a problem all season and even in preseason.

No doubt.  If Bodine is ranked the #1 center in the league, then there is a flaw in the ranking system.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 06:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: Doesn't speak well of PFF. Bodine has been a problem all season and even in preseason.

(09-27-2015, 06:19 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: No doubt.  If Bodine is ranked the #1 center in the league, then there is a flaw in the ranking system.

Not defending PFF, but:

#1. Bodine was our 3rd or 4th worst-graded player on offense in the first week
#2. Even Bodine-Hater (justifiably so), RR, said that last week was a career game for Bodine.

So no, there is no flaw in this instance.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Hill will be fine. We are blessed to have two really good RBs.
Reply/Quote
I haven't looked at PFF - another poster said they had Bodine rated high and I replied that if they do it shows a problem with PFF.

When you can't run effectively in short yardage and especially can't run inside plus the offense has to have the RB chipping on the inside on pass plays you focus on the Center. Were I Hue I would be thinking about maybe benching Bodine and doing the Boling shift plus insertion of Fisher they tried a couple of times in preseason.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 06:35 PM)Joelist Wrote: I haven't looked at PFF - another poster said they had Bodine rated high and I replied that if they do it shows a problem with PFF.

When you can't run effectively in short yardage and especially can't run inside plus the offense has to have the RB chipping on the inside on pass plays you focus on the Center. Were I Hue I would be thinking about maybe benching Bodine and doing the Boling shift plus insertion of Fisher they tried a couple of times in preseason.

He'll be back to middle of the pack or lower after this game; just a dreadfully terrible game, he hung Hill out to dry on 2 straight plays.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 06:35 PM)Joelist Wrote: I haven't looked at PFF - another poster said they had Bodine rated high and I replied that if they do it shows a problem with PFF.

I don't have PFF, but it was from the team homepage...

Without allowing a sack for the second straight week, protection grades were high and center Russell Bodine[Image: icon-article-link.gif], off the line’s highest run grades, is ranked No. 1 for all NFL centers by PFF.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Monday-musings-Whit-streak-leads-hot-O-line-Fisher-a-Chad-fan-Gio-Hill-offer-each-other-support/2741b9f8-e510-4dc8-819e-abfd493d02bf
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:09 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I don't have PFF, but it was from the team homepage...

Without allowing a sack for the second straight week, protection grades were high and center Russell Bodine[Image: icon-article-link.gif], off the line’s highest run grades, is ranked No. 1 for all NFL centers by PFF.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Monday-musings-Whit-streak-leads-hot-O-line-Fisher-a-Chad-fan-Gio-Hill-offer-each-other-support/2741b9f8-e510-4dc8-819e-abfd493d02bf

So Bodine is one of the worst PFF rated players on offense in week 1, then becomes one of the highest players on offense in week 2. Yet is the best NFL Center.

Nope. Disagree. And he was straight up terrible this game.
Reply/Quote
Lacey had the same issue to start the season last year. Hill will be fine.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The Ravens happened. Power-oriented backs don't often do much versus Baltimore. When we start getting some opponents with less capable interior defensive lines, you'll see Hill do his thing.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 05:45 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Hill just looked slow. No burst up to the line at all. Give it up to Gio, he's looked better.
He had no chance to get his usual burst and force going forward because he was usually handed the ball while standing flat-footed in the backfield!

I was getting pissed!!
(09-27-2015, 06:00 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Hill is really starting to worry me. He seems to not be able to break tackles and avoid fumbling at the same time.
Disagree.  The fumbling issue is fixed and he can break tackles when we give him the ball going straight forward.
(09-27-2015, 07:17 PM)StripesInSuffolk Wrote: The Ravens happened.  Power-oriented backs don't often do much versus Baltimore.  When we start getting some opponents with less capable interior defensive lines, you'll see Hill do his thing.

Hill dominates all defenses though and running straight at defenses is his strength.  

He's crushed much better defenses.

Plus, the Ravens D used to be dominate, but this isn't your daddy's Ravens' defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 06:00 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Hill is really starting to worry me. He seems to not be able to break tackles and avoid fumbling at the same time.

Still early in the season. If the line picks up its run blocking and Hill gets coached up by Hue (which he will), he will be alright, and ready for the stretch run.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 05:40 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Very poor run blocking today. Our OL really couldn't move the middle of the Ravens DL, and Hill is best used between the tackles.

AJ Green was the difference today. He got open deep a lot.

It is entirely possible that since Hue announced to the world he was going to emphasize the run, that teams may be focusing on Hill especially after the way he finished last season.
Reply/Quote
Hill will be fine if the Bengals can get there power running game going and give him 20 carries in a game. He's the type of back that will wear out a defense and then break off a big run late against a tired D.
Hasn't been many opportunities for that this year in part due to Hill fumbling and in part due to play calling.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 06:03 PM)McC Wrote: Didn't I hear that the Ratbirds hadn't given up a 100 yard game by a runner in a bunch of games?  They usually do play the run very well.

Maybe Gio and Hill should fete the OL at the local All-You-Can-Eat Steakhouse while repeatedly whispering in their collective ears, "improve your run blocking lest you get us both killed!" Tongue
Reply/Quote
Hill is fine. He is a patient runner. There just weren't any holes today. It didn't help that Whitworth was split out for two of his carries.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:13 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: So Bodine is one of the worst PFF rated players on offense in week 1, then becomes one of the highest players on offense in week 2. Yet is the best NFL Center.

Nope. Disagree. And he was straight up terrible this game.

I think he meant worst on OUR line from week 1, not league wide.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 06:03 PM)McC Wrote: Didn't I hear that the Ratbirds hadn't given up a 100 yard game by a runner in a bunch of games?  They usually do play the run very well.

59 games now.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote