Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Marvin feeling the heat?
One thing I notice about Hobson's training camp articles (please for the love of God Hobson... get an editor to proofread your stories) this year, seems to be the newish theme of Marvin blowing up and getting after the players when they screw up. Example, he evidently came downfield and chewed Dennard out for kicking a football in anger when he missed a play. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really remember Marvin, in past years, yelling at anyone..... This year he's on them, making them do things over that they did wrong. Is it just me, or does this seem new? I have to admit, I'd like to see a little more fire from him, I have always thought he was too laid back..... especially with the refs.
Reply/Quote
Maybe he's changing his ways? He could absolutely use some of that Jon Gruden fire with these guys. And the refs, as you mentioned. Let's hope this continues into the season.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He has a 2 year contract. No he’s not feeling any heat.

Reply/Quote
It's pretty common knowledge that many HCs don't show much fire until year 16.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 08:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He has a 2 year contract. No he’s not feeling any heat.

I'm not speaking specifically of heat from MB. He's catching a ton from fans, and I think he also wants to win a Championship before he retires. There's all kinds of heat.....
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 09:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not speaking specifically of heat from MB. He's catching a ton from fans, and I think he also wants to win a Championship before he retires. There's all kinds of heat.....

Could be, but it's just training camp.  If Marvin shows a pulse while we are playing the Steelers this season then I'll gladly be on-board with this version of Marvin who finally has his arse on the hotseat.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 09:06 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Could be, but it's just training camp.  If Marvin shows a pulse while we are playing the Steelers this season then I'll gladly be on-board with this version of Marvin who finally has his arse on the hotseat.

No doubt. I'm pretty surprised at his behavior because it doesn't sound like him. Yet, I'm all for it. One of the biggest things this organization has lacked since he's been coach is discipline. I never want to see a meltdown like 2015 again and this is a good start of preventing that from happening.

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 08:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: One thing I notice about Hobson's training camp articles (please for the love of God Hobson... get an editor to proofread your stories) this year, seems to be the newish theme of Marvin blowing up and getting after the players when they screw up. Example, he evidently came downfield and chewed Dennard out for kicking a football in anger when he missed a play. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really remember Marvin, in past years, yelling at anyone..... This year he's on them, making them do things over that they did wrong. Is it just me, or does this seem new? I have to admit, I'd like to see a little more fire from him, I have always thought he was too laid back..... especially with the refs.

believe hes been yelling at them since hard knocks 1
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 10:03 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: No doubt. I'm pretty surprised at his behavior because it doesn't sound like him. Yet, I'm all for it. One of the biggest things this organization has lacked since he's been coach is discipline. I never want to see a meltdown like 2015 again and this is a good start of preventing that from happening.

hard to beat the refs...

but undisciplined teams don't make the playoffs 5 years in a row.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 09:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not speaking specifically of heat from MB. He's catching a ton from fans, and I think he also wants to win a Championship before he retires. There's all kinds of heat.....

Any man with any Pride at all would want to improve the Rep he has.

If I had coached a team to 5 straight Playoff appearances in the NFL, I would have a certain feeling of Pride about that. Then, if I turned on the TV or radio and heard that my Rep was "0 and 7 in the Playoffs and should have been Fired long ago but my Owner was to devoted to me to Fire me", then I would be Highly Motivated to win a freaking Playoff game and improve my Rep.

He has to have a Fire inside him to change his narrative. Virtually any other man would.

What other Goals could he have that would supercede improving his Rep as a Head Coach by winning ? 

He has to want it BAD.

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 10:40 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: believe hes been yelling at them since hard knocks 1

I watched both season of Hard Knocks, and virtually every game since that he's coached, and I can't say I ever remember him "yelling" at a player. He has pulled the aside, and discussed things with them, but I don't remember him ever yelling. Unless I'm forgetting, this is something new.....
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 11:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I watched both season of Hard Knocks, and virtually every game since that he's coached, and I can't say I ever remember him "yelling" at a player. He has pulled the aside, and discussed things with them, but I don't remember him ever yelling. Unless I'm forgetting, this is something new.....

https://youtu.be/knXuiqdvZ4E

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 11:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: *Marvin Video*

How long ago was that?  Merv was awfully slim!
Reply/Quote
I was watching him throwing to players as a qb last Saturday.
I had never seen him do that before.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 11:08 AM)Tomkat Wrote: How long ago was that?  Merv was awfully slim!

Well that was Laveranues Coles looking terrified in the video (lol) so 09.

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 09:06 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Could be, but it's just training camp.  If Marvin shows a pulse while we are playing the Steelers this season then I'll gladly be on-board with this version of Marvin who finally has his arse on the hotseat.

I will too, but not holding my breath. 

The Steelers know which buttons to push and I think they will be successful doing that in both season games.

The Bengals don't play the Pats or Jaguars this year, but those are 2 other teams that have figured out how to get into this team's head.

They can't make it to another SB if they can't overcome this, because they will most likely have to go through one or more of these teams to get there.

I hope I'm wrong.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 11:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: https://youtu.be/knXuiqdvZ4E

Ok, well, I had totally forgotten the "Be a blippin pro" speech. BTW, they won the Division that year....... yell, Marvin, yell.....
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 10:03 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: No doubt. I'm pretty surprised at his behavior because it doesn't sound like him. Yet, I'm all for it. One of the biggest things this organization has lacked since he's been coach is discipline. I never want to see a meltdown like 2015 again and this is a good start of preventing that from happening.

These past 2 years we have replaced melting down with just flat out never being in games.  Lord, last year alone we were never in the Ravens, Bears, Vikings games in particular.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 08:55 AM)Nately120 Wrote:   

It's pretty common knowledge that many HCs don't show much fire until year 16.
Hilarious    
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2018, 08:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: One thing I notice about Hobson's training camp articles (please for the love of God Hobson... get an editor to proofread your stories) this year, seems to be the newish theme of Marvin blowing up and getting after the players when they screw up. Example, he evidently came downfield and chewed Dennard out for kicking a football in anger when he missed a play. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really remember Marvin, in past years, yelling at anyone..... This year he's on them, making them do things over that they did wrong. Is it just me, or does this seem new? I have to admit, I'd like to see a little more fire from him, I have always thought he was too laid back..... especially with the refs.

One thing for sure - if you let them act out in practice - they'll act out in games.  Not like we've ever seen melt downs in playoff games or anything before.  That whole debacle still has my panties in a bundle - the image of Peko running onto the field with a parka was the icing on the cake.
Reply/Quote