Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Peerman's time coming to a close?
It should be, but here's what will happen.

MB will demand he be kept for the loyalty to a long time player, he'll contribute little to nothing. They'll release him next season.

Carson will go to practice squad, be snatched up by another team where he'll go for 500 yards and 4 TD's and go on to be a solid RB for several seasons.

But hey we'll maintain the loyalty. What's more important loyalty or winning the Super Bowl ? Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 02:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, other than Leonard running a 4.49, and Burkhead running a 4.73.
Also other than Leonard bench pressing 28 reps and Burkhead doing it 21 times.
Oh, and Leonard being 6'1, 225 lbs and Burkhead being 5'10, 210 lbs.

But other than their height, weight, strength, and speed, yup, exactly the same.  Does he also remind you of Jordan Shipley, Wes Welker, and Peyton Hillis?

Racist.   Ninja Ninja Ninja

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hilarious Hilarious

Lol..... but seriously on the original topic, I think Peerman might be finally pushed off this season, unless Marvin pulls a Marvin and keeps all "his" guys regardless of performance (hey there Nugent).

Burkhead had the fastest short shuttle time in the entire draft combine in his rookie season. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 03:15 AM)treee Wrote: I don't think 53 players is enough to keep a "special teams only" player on board. I look at it the opposite way. Special teams ability is a must for your backups but they have to actually be decent at their non-special teams position as well.

This, but he replacement would have to fill the void left by him on special teams.  So, can Tre Carson do that?  Can Jeff Luc?

As much as I like Carson, I think I would rather have Lue with our current dearth of TEs and Hewitt able to play both spots.  
Reply/Quote
If Burkhead could stay healthy it would be nice if we could only go with 3 RBs to bolster another position. Like receiver since there is so many unknowns. Or TE because there are the injuries. Or OL because once again inuries. Only keeping 3 RBs isnt unheard of. Fej, vigil, burkhead, wright, core and quite a few others could step up on special teams.
Reply/Quote
Agree with most that there may not be room for Carson even if I think is definitely NFL caliber.

Will add though that during preseason game the Bengals defense was loving his runs and riveted to the replays of him running over Vikings on sideline.

Hate to see this kid end up on steelers when Bell gets hurt.

Oh well, it is up to the coaches now and glad to see several players making their decisions hard this year.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 08:14 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It should be, but here's what will happen.

MB will demand he be kept for the loyalty to a long time player, he'll contribute little to nothing. They'll release him next season.

Carson will go to practice squad, be snatched up by another team where he'll go for 500 yards and 4 TD's and go on to be a solid RB for several seasons.

But hey we'll maintain the loyalty. What's more important loyalty or winning the Super Bowl ?  Ninja

and where is Carson going to go on this team for us this year and couple years out ?  He is not going to move in front of Hill and Gio and Burkhead is more versatile then him, he is UDFA, dime a dozen,, we will find another Carson in the draft or FA in two years and finally he is running against 3rd stringers as a whole... 2 preseason games against 3rd string guys and you want to say he is going to be the difference in winning the Super Bowl ???  He might get 5 meaningful carries as our 4th back where as Peerman might cause a turnover or save a TD on special teams, that might be the difference in a playoff games to propel us to the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 08:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: and where is Carson going to go on this team for us this year and couple years out ?  He is not going to move in front of Hill and Gio and Burkhead is more versatile then him, he is UDFA, dime a dozen,, we will find another Carson in the draft or FA in two years and finally he is running against 3rd stringers as a whole... 2 preseason games against 3rd string guys and you want to say he is going to be the difference in winning the Super Bowl ???  He might get 5 meaningful carries as our 4th back where as Peerman might cause a turnover or save a TD on special teams, that might be the difference in a playoff games to propel us to the Super Bowl.

I'd say the biggest argument for keeping him on is that he resembles Hill's running style more than any other back on the roster. God forbid, but if Hill gets hurt we don't want to be using Gio or Burkhead the same way we use Hill imo. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 11:07 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If Burkhead could stay healthy it would be nice if we could only go with 3 RBs to bolster another position. Like receiver since there is so many unknowns. Or TE because there are the injuries. Or OL because once again inuries. Only keeping 3 RBs isnt unheard of. Fej, vigil, burkhead, wright, core and quite a few others could step up on special teams.

I can definitely understand your argument. That said, with our uncertainty in receiving targets this year I'd bet on the chances of the coaches keeping 4 RBs is rather high.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 10:12 PM)treee Wrote: I can definitely understand your argument. That said, with our uncertainty in receiving targets this year I'd bet on the chances of the coaches keeping 4 RBs is rather high.

Oh for sure. I just finally watched the second half of the detroit game. And after Peermans pitiful display as a running back he came jogging off the field and marvin was laughing and smiling at him and i think even gave him a good job butt slap.

For some reason they think having a religious leader in the locker room is a necessity. The running reverend cant run the ball worth a shit against backups. Is one year older after getting rag dolled on special teams all these years. But is basically a lock to make the roster. 

Burkhead looked good on special teams. Fej did too. Peerman is far from irreplaceable on special teams and is probably one of the worst at RB actually listed at RB in the league. But that wont stop the front office from keeping a personal favorite.

With the touchback moving to the 25 i expect a lot more kick offs to have no returns. There goes a big part of Peermans specialty. Will that matter? Doubt it.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 10:28 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Oh for sure. I just finally watched the second half of the detroit game. And after Peermans pitiful display as a running back he came jogging off the field and marvin was laughing and smiling at him and i think even gave him a good job butt slap.

For some reason they think having a religious leader in the locker room is a necessity. The running reverend cant run the ball worth a shit against backups. Is one year older after getting rag dolled on special teams all these years. But is basically a lock to make the roster. 

Burkhead looked good on special teams. Fej did too. Peerman is far from irreplaceable on special teams and is probably one of the worst at RB actually listed at RB in the league. But that wont stop the front office from keeping a personal favorite.

With the touchback moving to the 25 i expect a lot more kick offs to have no returns. There goes a big part of Peermans specialty. Will that matter? Doubt it.

As they say in baseball read the playing card, most players don;t vary much from what their playing card says.. I could care less about preseason, he is also running behind a 2nd/3rd string line, .. but back to reading his card.. he has a 5.2 YPC and has fumbled 1 times in like 335 attempts.. sounds good to me for our 4th back besides why the hell would we cut our ALL PRO special teams player so someone else can sit on the sidelines for 98 percent of our offense plays and never get in unless a blow out either way.. makes a lot of sense to me.  Shocked
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 10:09 PM)treee Wrote: I'd say the biggest argument for keeping him on is that he resembles Hill's running style more than any other back on the roster. God forbid, but if Hill gets hurt we don't want to be using Gio or Burkhead the same way we use Hill imo. 

Thats my point, maybe I'm undervaluing peerman as a leader as a st ace, he just looks slow.

If hill is banged up and we need a yard I'd rather see carson lower his shoulder than gio get stuffed up the middle .
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 12:39 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: As they say in baseball read the playing card, most players don;t vary much from what their playing card says.. I could care less about preseason, he is also running behind a 2nd/3rd string line, .. but back to reading his card.. he has a 5.2 YPC and has fumbled 1 times in like 335 attempts.. sounds good to me for our 4th back besides why the hell would we cut our ALL PRO special teams player so someone else can sit on the sidelines for 98 percent of our offense plays and never get in unless a blow out either way.. makes a lot of sense to me.  Shocked
Not sure if serious. 

If so read the back of that card again. Pay attention this time. He has 64 career carries and 334 career yards. He has been in the league since 2009 and NFL coaches have given him a whopping 64 carries. He was a pro bowl alternate. Not all pro. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 03:09 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Not sure if serious. 

If so read the back of that card again. Pay attention this time. He has 64 career carries and 334 career yards. He has been in the league since 2009 and NFL coaches have given him a whopping 64 carries. He was a pro bowl alternate. Not all pro. 

i think I got the 5.2 YPC correct lol but actually your correction even adds to my case.. 4th RBs on most teams especially those with 2 solid backs get very little carries especially those that mean something where as the leader of your special teams that is considered one of the tops in the game can make a difference in a game or two during the season so your mention that keeping Carson is the type of thing that could lead us to the Super Bowl has zero merit   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 03:15 AM)treee Wrote: I don't think 53 players is enough to keep a "special teams only" player on board. I look at it the opposite way. Special teams ability is a must for your backups but they have to actually be decent at their non-special teams position as well.

Actually, 53 players is not enough to keep a running back who will never see the field unless at least two of the back in front of him go down to injury. Peerman is a STs Captain and ace, and is a serviceable running back. His importance to the roster at this point is far greater than someone who "may" turn out to be a better running back, but is never going to see the field. Burkhead is also a valuable ST player, a serviceable running back, who can also play receiver if needed..... ie he's valuable. If Carson is going to stick, he is going to have to show value somewhere besides running back, because he is not going to be Cincinnati's running back anytime soon.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 09:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Actually, 53 players is not enough to keep a running back who will never see the field unless at least two of the back in front of him go down to injury. Peerman is a STs Captain and ace, and is a serviceable running back. His importance to the roster at this point is far greater than someone who "may" turn out to be a better running back, but is never going to see the field. Burkhead is also a valuable ST player, a serviceable running back, who can also play receiver if needed..... ie he's valuable. If Carson is going to stick, he is going to have to show value somewhere besides running back, because he is not going to be Cincinnati's running back anytime soon.

So what attributes make Peerman a special teams ace? He can tackle? He can block? He knows the special teams scheme? I'm just not understanding what makes him so irreplaceable other than the fact that he's "solid". If we can have a younger player with more upside who can also contribute to special teams, then why not go that route?
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 09:52 AM)treee Wrote: So what attributes make Peerman a special teams ace? He can tackle? He can block? He knows the special teams scheme? I'm just not understanding what makes him so irreplaceable other than the fact that he's "solid". If we can have a younger player with more upside who can also contribute to special teams, then why not go that route?

"If" we can find a better ST player who is as good a running back fine. That's a big "If". A lot of running backs would not be happy sitting at #3 or #4 on a roster, and would want to move on knowing they are not going to take Hill or Gio's spot. CP is the consummate team player, who happens to have the skills to make the Pro Bowl as a teams guy.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 02:09 PM)treee Wrote: I'd like to open this thread by first stating that Peerman has been a staple for this team for many years now and I will always be grateful to what he has brought to the special teams and reserve RB role.

That said, I think that Burkhead can and should replace him for a few reasons:

1) Burkhead has consistently performed better as a RB than Peerman these past couples of seasons.

2) Burkhead's hands and ability out of the backfield are exceptionally better than Peerman's.

3) Burkhead has shown the ability to contribute just as consistently as Peerman on special teams.

4) And finally, we have a couple promising young talents vying for a spot this year as the 4th RB. I really think if we try to place them on the practice squad they'll get picked up by someone else by the end of the year.

well this isn't burkhead vs peerman for a roster spot.. considering burkhead is 3rd on the DC and peerman 4th

Its peerman vs Carson vs b Hill

And for a 4th string running back it will come down to who does special teams the best.

I would say Peerman probly gets another season unless carson or b Hill really really shine the next 2 games. (and shine on special teams)
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 07:00 PM)bengalsfan73 Wrote: Honestly I hope he is cut this season because he is just not that good anymore at running the ball. He looked really slow in the game. Yes he plays special teams and yes he made a pro bowl for it but honestly there are other players that can help on special teams that are younger and better because if we try to put the younger rbs on the practice squad they will be gone very quickly. I like both of the younger rbs but I think Carson is the better option to keep as the 4th rb because he runs with some quickness and toughness. I am just afraid that Marvin will be Marvin and keep the older players out of loyalty and not really give the younger guys with better potential a real chance and then lose them when he tries to place them on the practice squad. I would love to go into the season with Jeremy Hill, Gio Bernard, Rex Burkhead and Tre Carson as the four rbs on the roster and then have Bronson Hill as the practice squad rb but of course what I want and what Marvin does is completely different, case in point Mike Nugent. He needs to get away from the keeping players out of loyalty mentality because that is going to catch up to the team. I'm sorry but it is time to cut Peerman, Nugent and Margus Hunt and get younger and better. I would also throw Peko into that mix but not until next season when he is contract is up and let him walk.
think about your logic here when do we let peerman run the ball? preseason that's it that's not why hes an asset to the team
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 03:09 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Not sure if serious. 

I don't think you guys really understand what a 4th RB is for... Its not for carrying the ball. lol that's what RB #1 and RB #2 are for.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 12:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I don't think you guys really understand what a 4th RB is for... Its not for carrying the ball. lol that's what RB #1 and RB #2 are for.

And with touchbacks moved to the 25 how many kicks are we really going to have to cover each game? 

Peerman is replacable. If Jeremy Hill goes down we have no true big back to replace him. Instead we spent that roster spot on the running reverend because we absolutely have to have him cover punts 4-5 times a game? 

Fej, Core, Wright, Vigil, Burkhead can all do what Peerman does. And they are all younger with more upside.

Peerman is not getting better and a rule change made his job less important. Move on and upgrade the roster.

Know why there isnt a special teams ace that makes a team every year for 6-7 years like Peerman on every team in the league? Because you either improve at your primary position and become so valuable that you special teams role declines. Or the team moves on because spots on the 53 man roster are valuable and special teams contributions can be found in a lot of places.
Reply/Quote