Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Peerman's time coming to a close?
Peerman had some monster hits on coverage teams last year and also looked pretty good against the Vikes.  I was sure that he was a lock after watching that game.  With Luc and Carson emerging I'm not so sure that Peerman or Burkhead are 100% safe now.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 12:09 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: And with touchbacks moved to the 25 how many kicks are we really going to have to cover each game? 

If you've been paying attention, every one of them. Simmons is going to tell Nugent to kick it short, to the 1 yd. line, and let the ST gunners bring the runner down. No way we give them the 25 every kick. During the Detroit game the runners got past the 20 once. Other than that, they started their drives around the 10 or 15. I suspect any team with good kick coverage will be kicking short this year. In the NFL's attempt to reduce run backs, they are actually going to increase them.
Reply/Quote
Peermans only value is on special teams, he's expendable and I wont be bummed if we replaced him with a younger version.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 08:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If you've been paying attention, every one of them. Simmons is going to tell Nugent to kick it short, to the 1 yd. line, and let the ST gunners bring the runner down. No way we give them the 25 every kick. During the Detroit game the runners got past the 20 once. Other than that, they started their drives around the 10 or 15. I suspect any team with good kick coverage will be kicking short this year. In the NFL's attempt to reduce run backs, they are actually going to increase them.
A lot of the kicks 4-5 yards into the endzone have been returned. Come regular season i dont think that happens. Coaches probably want to get a look at return prospects in the preseason and say take it out. 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 11:06 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: A lot of the kicks 4-5 yards into the endzone have been returned. Come regular season i dont think that happens. Coaches probably want to get a look at return prospects in the preseason and say take it out. 

I believe the quote was "no one has ever won a job by taking a knee" from one of the announcers in the Detroit game.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 11:06 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: A lot of the kicks 4-5 yards into the endzone have been returned. Come regular season i dont think that happens. Coaches probably want to get a look at return prospects in the preseason and say take it out. 

A kick to the one has to be returned....
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 12:34 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Peerman had some monster hits on coverage teams last year and also looked pretty good against the Vikes.  I was sure that he was a lock after watching that game.  With Luc and Carson emerging I'm not so sure that Peerman or Burkhead are 100% safe now.

LUC the FB?

Hewitt still has that job hes just helping out @ TE right now
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 11:35 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I believe the quote was "no one has ever won a job by taking a knee" from one of the announcers in the Detroit game.

Which is always a double edged sword. Gotta show you can break a good return, but you also have to show the good judgement to not return it to the 12 yard line rather than automatically to the 25.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 09:41 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Peermans only value is on special teams, he's expendable and I wont be bummed if we replaced him with a younger version.

The young dime a dozen are expendable also.. i will pass on letting our best and leader on special teams be cut for some FA that will not see the field as 4th back and has no experience on special teams.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Teams will most likely be kicking short. Some kickers and other players have come out saying that they expect shorter kicks. Simmons is a guy who has confidence in our coverage team so I expect a lot of short kicks from us.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
The new game for kickers is high and short.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 12:34 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Peerman had some monster hits on coverage teams last year and also looked pretty good against the Vikes.  I was sure that he was a lock after watching that game.  With Luc and Carson emerging I'm not so sure that Peerman or Burkhead are 100% safe now.

I think Burkhead is a lock. He is crafty and looks explosive this season.

I also agree with luc emerging . Jeremy hill runs much better with a bruiser in front him, but we have hewitt for that .maybe peerman stays but I think we can fill his st spot.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 05:56 PM)The Burfict Answer Wrote: I think Burkhead is a lock. He is crafty and looks explosive this season.

I also agree with luc emerging . Jeremy hill runs much better with a bruiser in front him, but we have hewitt for that .maybe peerman stays but I think we can fill his st spot.

If Luc can take the FB spot Hewitt can move right on up to TE....  With Eifert Kroft Uzhoman
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 08:59 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: i think I got the 5.2 YPC correct lol but actually your correction even adds to my case.. 4th RBs on most teams especially those with 2 solid backs get very little carries especially those that mean something where as the leader of your special teams that is considered one of the tops in the game can make a difference in a game or two during the season so your mention that keeping Carson is the type of thing that could lead us to the Super Bowl has zero merit   ThumbsUp

Ok, so let me get this straight.

In your mind it make more sense to keep a 4th RB who's at the end of his career (He turns 30 soon after the season starts) because he's some special teams god.

Neither him nor Carson or whomever else will get many touches under perfect circumstances - nobody gets injured. And we all know that rarely happens in the NFL.  Ninja

Most likely they're going to release Peerman next season anyways. Elite RB's rarely make it much past 30. And Peerman isn't elite.

So how about we keep a young RB with much upside, whom might be called on to contribute, if somebody misses some time. And could go on to become a regular RB. Instead of keeping an older RB whom is in the twilight of his career because there's no way we can replace his ST contributions ?

Is that it ?
Reply/Quote
Peerman will not be released do you wanna release him then get a bunvh of punt returns on us bc u wanna release a st god i dont think u understand how hard st is plus and any rb is not go,na go from undrafted to number 3 on our depth chart he still wont replace burkhead
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2016, 07:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ok, so let me get this straight.

In your mind it make more sense to keep a 4th RB who's at the end of his career (He turns 30 soon after the season starts) because he's some special teams god.

Neither him nor Carson or whomever else will get many touches under perfect circumstances - nobody gets injured. And we all know that rarely happens in the NFL.  Ninja

Most likely they're going to release Peerman next season anyways. Elite RB's rarely make it much past 30. And Peerman isn't elite.

So how about we keep a young RB with much upside, whom might be called on to contribute, if somebody misses some time. And could go on to become a regular RB. Instead of keeping an older RB whom is in the twilight of his career because there's no way we can replace his ST contributions ?

Is that it ?
what actually is rare is having to dig into your 4th RB for meaningful carries, just look at the last five years of the Bengals.. Peerman would have gotten more carries if we were that banged up... 

the reason we don;t keep the young RB is lets be honest he is 4th best back in a team that is looking at playoffs and super bowl.. his value on this team that has great depth at RB is of little value for this year and we can draft a RB next year if needed... Carson has done nothing yet in 2 preseason games to really think we are giving up on some RB phenom.  He has a 13 carries for a 3.0 YPC and one reception and zero TDs against 2/3 string.  
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 12:31 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: what actually is rare is having to dig into your 4th RB for meaningful carries, just look at the last five years of the Bengals.. Peerman would have gotten more carries if we were that banged up... 

the reason we don;t keep the young RB is lets be honest he is 4th best back in a team that is looking at playoffs and super bowl.. his value on this team that has great depth at RB is of little value for this year and we can draft a RB next year if needed... Carson has done nothing yet in 2 preseason games to really think we are giving up on some RB phenom.  He has a 13 carries for a 3.0 YPC and one reception and zero TDs against 2/3 string.  

Ok. Using your own logic, instead of going 4 RBs deep we could use the roster spot for something more meaningful and of need, like a WR or CB. You just argued Peerman off the team LOL Congrats. Bye bye Peerman.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 02:25 AM)treee Wrote: Ok. Using your own logic, instead of going 4 RBs deep we could use the roster spot for something more meaningful and of need, like a WR or CB. You just argued Peerman off the team LOL Congrats. Bye bye Peerman.

I'd speculate that Simmons has more pull in deciding the final 53 than the vast majority of special teams coaches out there.  This practice has paid dividends in recent years imo.  Do you remember the Bills game from last year?  They were absolutely murdered in field position every single time STs was involved.  If anything the argument is that special teams standouts are more important than back of the roster backups who aren't as good at STs.  Top flight ST gunner > top flight 4th string RB imo.
Reply/Quote
Those who don't think Special Teams are just as important as Offense and Defense do not understand the game. An no, not every good running back, receiver, etc  makes a good Special Teams player.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 02:56 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote:   Top flight ST gunner > top flight 4th string RB imo.

This.

Peerman is not going anywhere.  He makes big contributions every game.  Go back and watch our win over the Steelers last year.  Peerman dominated on kick returns.  When was the last time a #4 RB had that large of an impact on the game by carrying the ball?
Reply/Quote