Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Thaddeus Moss Ready For His Spot?
Tiger

Now regardless of popular belief everyone has underdogs that they root for to finally breakthrough. Last season from my knowledge had a great camp until being injured but has remained on our practice squad. The opportunity is certainly there to become the number two behind Hayden Hurst and grab substantial snaps this season. I like this guy to make the 53 this season and a great deal more. If he finally earns his chance with to get on the field with Joe then. Ok lookout. Thoughts...
https://youtu.be/5jlI4uzZGjU

Reply/Quote
Honestly I don't know. When we initially grabbed him I thought he might grab a starting spot but Thad couldn't
even dress most of the time for us with Drew Sample in front of him. I actually like Wilcox better right now than
Thaddeus Moss. We will see if he improves big time, he will have to or his career might be short lived in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
The opportunity is there but I'd have to see him have some really really productive snaps in preseson to surpass Sample as #2. And if he makes the roster as #3, he will have to show he can play special teams better than Mitchell Wilcox

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 07:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Honestly I don't know. When we initially grabbed him I thought he might grab a starting spot but Thad couldn't
even dress most of the time for us with Drew Sample in front of him. I actually like Wilcox better right now than
Thaddeus Moss. We will see if he improves big time, he will have to or his career might short lived in the NFL.

Tiger

I don't particularly like our TE situation but I'll refrain for the thread.lol. Your absolutely correct but finally healthy I'm hoping that the he earns it.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 07:42 PM)pally Wrote: The opportunity is there but I'd have to see him have some really really productive snaps in preseson to surpass Sample as #2.  And if he makes the roster as #3, he will have to show he can play special teams better than Mitchell Wilcox

Tiger

Now I'm going to say this and some will get angry but Drew Sample is the biggest blemish on Zac Taylors draft resume. No Period. So its going to be interesting to see how the position group shakes out. The elephant in the room is apparent but at the end of the day spots are earned. Now healthy its time to put up or shut up.
Reply/Quote
I have higher hope for Scotty Washington. A TE with a WR skillset in THIS offense? Look out.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
I would love it if he could capture just a little bit of his dad's magic. But it seems he's a long shot at this point. I haven't followed his career that closely but many are of the opinion he's not that great an athlete and doesn't bring much to the table.

I wish him luck, I'm not that high on Sample other than as a blocker and hopefully we'll need that a little less this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, they've got his spot reserved in the parking lot:

[Image: R.d532bbc944b8cc84b2b66753ae058218?rik=M...ImgRaw&r=0]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Tiger

All I'm saying is don't rule him out.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 10:12 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I wont rule him out just yet. If he can get 100% healthy, he has parts of his game that can translate. I remember reading a bunch of scouting reports on him and he was pretty much considered the best blocking TE of his class. Thats also what they said about Sample, but Sample didnt get a lot of chances to catch in college. Moss isnt very fast so he isnt going to wow anyone with his speed on routes, but he does have good hands, and can both run and pass block at a high level, at least in college. He's just going to have to work hard is all. We'll see. I'm rooting for him. 

https://www.patspulpit.com/2020/4/14/21221030/2020-nfl-draft-scouting-report-lsu-tight-end-thaddeus-moss-new-england-patriots

Strengths: Plenty of college tight ends struggle with the blocking aspect of playing the position, but Moss is not one of them: he might be the best pure blocking tight end this year’s draft has to offer and is a tremendous player at the point of attack due to his polished technique and physical aggressiveness. Moss uses his long arms well to engage and has a strong initial punch, keeps his feet active throughout contact and has a good feel for holding his balance both when lining up in-line or when taking on defenders in open space.

Moss may not have the innate skills as a pass catcher his father — ex-Patriot and Pro Football Hall of Famer Randy Moss — brought to an offense, but he does have some strong hands: the 22-year-old did not drop a single pass in 2019 due to his ability to box out defenders in contested situations, his catch radius, and some good concentration and catch-to-carry transition. He also has experience playing multiple spots on offense, and offers some good footwork when running routes.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 07:31 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Now regardless of popular belief everyone has underdogs that they root for to finally breakthrough. Last season from my knowledge had a great camp until being injured but has remained on our practice squad. The opportunity is certainly there to become the number two behind Hayden Hurst and grab substantial snaps this season. I like this guy to make the 53 this season and a great deal more. If he finally earns his chance with to get on the field with Joe then. Ok lookout. Thoughts...
https://youtu.be/5jlI4uzZGjU

Thad isn't a traditional TE by dimensions at only 6'2" and 240 lbs, but he does offer some skill as a receiver (great hands) and a blocker (very willing and tough blocker).  I think he was set to get a real shot and then he had another serious injury in pregame warmups.  The kid feels snake bit to me.  I think the only way he gets a spot is if he really stands out on special teams.  

Personally, I would love to see the kid get a spot and be an integral part of the special teams unit and a third TE just because of his relationship with Joe.  I also believe Joe tends to surround himself with like-minded people and if Moss was a slacker, I doubt they would be as close.  

If Moss works his ass off and can show on teams, he has a solid chance to be TE3, but his health has to finally be good.  
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 08:07 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I have higher hope for Scotty Washington.  A TE with a WR skillset in THIS offense?  Look out.

Not trying to single you out, but I hear this take a lot around here.  The problem is, if the TE isn't a blocking threat at all, you telegraph what you are going to do and that player is too one-dimensional.  I mean, if you want 4 WRs out there, go with 4 WRs.  The cool part of an athletic TE is how you can burn a defense full of DBs on a run when you have a good two-dimensional TE, as well as the opposite when you catch a defense in heavy against a two TE set and burn them down the seam with a vertical threat TE.

Think of how the Bengals always used Gio on third downs because he can pick up a blitz better than Mixon.  Ditto Perine.  The TE has to be a capable blocker.  He can't be that one-dimensional.  

That is why I give Moss a chance.  He is a very capable and willing blocker. 
Reply/Quote
To answer the title question, no. If his name wasn't Moss he wouldn't even be a thought around here or in the league for that matter.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 07:42 PM)pally Wrote: The opportunity is there but I'd have to see him have some really really productive snaps in preseson to surpass Sample as #2.  And if he makes the roster as #3, he will have to show he can play special teams better than Mitchell Wilcox

Yep.

He'll have to be able to block better than Sample and/or play better on ST than Mitchell Wilcox if he hopes to make the roster.
He's much shorter than a typical TE, measuring in just a tad under 6'2"
He didn't get a single snap last year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Thaddeus Moss isn't an NFL caliber TE. He is listed at 6'3, which is already a bit small for a TE but he measured in at 6'1 at the combine. He is nothing more than PS fodder.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2022, 10:12 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

There's really no reason to rule him in until he shows he can stay healthy for more than 5 minutes.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Do they have warm-ups for warm-ups?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
His chance is this year. We usually keep 3 TEs and all he has to do is beat whatever rookie was got and Mitchell Wilcox. If he can’t win the 3rd spot this year he’s just not that good. I say this because he HAS to have a slight edge because Burrow is his boy
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 09:26 AM)Au165 Wrote: To answer the title question, no. If his name wasn't Moss he wouldn't even be a thought around here or in the league for that matter.

I sometimes wonder if Moss isn't Burrow's Jordan Palmer.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2022, 09:26 AM)Au165 Wrote: To answer the title question, no. If his name wasn't Moss he wouldn't even be a thought around here or in the league for that matter.

This.

Why do people keep bringing this guy up?

~Let it go, let it go!~
Reply/Quote