Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Zac Really Happy With Irv Smith & Drew Sample
A couple months ago Darren Waller was traded for a what a 4th or 5th RD pick to the Giants. Yet the Bengals
Had no interest in making that trade.
That tells me how much they really value the TE.
Not mention Sample is still here.
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 09:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They hit on Hurst. They didn’t like their options in the draft each time they picked. They liked La Porta and Kincaid. They were not happy with several ‘s drop percentages as another poster pointed out.

(05-04-2023, 12:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bleav-in-bengals/id1585204338

Back on 4-29 and go to the 7:10 mark and listen to Zac’s effusive praise of Joe Mixon. LMAO at the pundits claiming coachspeak. Give me a freaking break.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 08:30 AM)impactplaya Wrote: A couple months ago Darren Waller was traded for a what a 4th or 5th RD pick to the Giants. Yet the Bengals

The Bengals could also feel that one of the many Head Coaching and Offensive Coordinator changes could lead to the opportunity to acquire a waived Tight end or possibly trade for a TE that these New Coaches inherit on their Team's Roster that may not fit their New Systems or that the New Coaches don't have a history with.

Darren Waller was a Raider pre Josh McDaniels and appears to not be a Josh McDaniels guy.

The Bengals may have their eye on a few tight ends that they feel may be on the bubble with these New Coaches.

It does look like they are rolling with Irv Smith Jr but they must feel comfortable that they can successfully maneuver options should Irv keep showing injury problems during the 2023 season.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 08:30 AM)impactplaya Wrote: A couple months ago Darren Waller was traded for a what a 4th or 5th RD pick to the Giants. Yet the Bengals

Seriously? Walker would have cost 17 million a year? That’s his contract
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

The 2021 Season both the Rams and Bengals made the Super Bowl (played in 2022) without getting Major production from one Tight End.

Tyler Higbee 560 regular season yards  &  CJ Uzomah 493 regular season yards during the 2021 season.

Zac Taylor is from the Rams & Shaun Mcvay's Coaching Tree and both have had success with good but not great tight end production.

While I am sure that both Coaches would love to have Great tight end production they may not consider it a must have to win with their Systems.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 09:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They hit on Hurst. They didn’t like their options in the draft each time they picked. They liked La Porta and Kincaid. They were not happy with several ‘s drop percentages as another poster pointed out.

If hit is avg TE, yes but I don't think what we want is these 1 year signing of TEs especially with so much uncertainty at WR
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2023, 12:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

Ace Boogie is slightly dramatic with the "Taylor just admitted..." statement. I offer: "Taylor just acknowledged" their TE board. It means nothing. It wouldn't be any different if "Taylor just admitted the Bengals had Robinson and Gibbs as their top two RBs." It's Taylor stating the obvious: the Bengals ranked two talented TEs high on their board. We don't even know the Bengals framework for the rankings. The rankings might not have been purely talent based, but also tried to account for the targeted round to select a player (Kincaid = round 1 possible target & LaPorta = round 2 possible target).

It would have been a newsworthy tidbit if Zac said, "I admit we had Kincaid as the top TE and he was 100% the pick we wanted at #28."

/end old guy, get off my lawn babble about dumb tweets.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2023, 02:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If hit is avg TE, yes but I don't think what we want is these 1 year signing of TEs especially with so much uncertainty at WR

They wanted a TE but as many in the organization have said they didn’t come close to falling right and the organization stayed faithful to their plan of getting the highest players on their board and not reaching.

Reply/Quote
Go get Marcedes Lewis
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 12:20 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Go get Marcedes Lewis

I am actually surprised this isn’t done.

We needed a whole TE room coming into the off-season and we get Sample back and Irv. That’s a pass catcher, then Sample I’d say is more all around. But we play our blocking TE ALOT. I am utterly surprised we aren’t at least offering Lewis something. I guess we really really stick to our age limit.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 02:48 PM)Housh Wrote: I am actually surprised this isn’t done.

We needed a whole TE room coming into the off-season and we get Sample back and Irv. That’s a pass catcher, then Sample I’d say is more all around. But we play our blocking TE ALOT. I am utterly surprised we aren’t at least offering Lewis something. I guess we really really stick to our age limit.

Sample is not an all around tight end. I’m questioning if you’ve ever seen him play...

He’s extremely 1 dimensional. Same with Mercedes Lewis. Both can only block. Very slow and lack ideal athleticism

I’d say Wilcox is more well rounded than those 2. Problem with Wilcox is that he has 2 left feet. He’s clumsy with the ball in his hands

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 02:51 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Sample is not an all around tight end. I’m questioning if you’ve ever seen him play...

He’s extremely 1 dimensional. Same with Mercedes Lewis. Both can only block. Very slow and lack ideal athleticism

I’d say Wilcox is more well rounded than those 2. Problem with Wilcox is that he has 2 left feet. He’s clumsy with the ball in his hands

Dan Arnold would have been an interesting depth signing. Athletic, big target, good hands, has flashed a few times in limited opportunities. Eagles snatched him up.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 02:51 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Sample is not an all around tight end. I’m questioning if you’ve ever seen him play...

I was being nice

He’s a NFL TE so I’m not gonna say he’s trash.

I just wanted a nice way to say he’s not great at anything but also not pure shit at any one thing either
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2023, 02:52 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Ace Boogie is slightly dramatic with the "Taylor just admitted..." statement. I offer: "Taylor just acknowledged" their TE board. It means nothing. It wouldn't be any different if "Taylor just admitted the Bengals had Robinson and Gibbs as their top two RBs." It's Taylor stating the obvious: the Bengals ranked two talented TEs high on their board. We don't even know the Bengals framework for the rankings. The rankings might not have been purely talent based, but also tried to account for the targeted round to select a player (Kincaid = round 1 possible target & LaPorta = round 2 possible target).

It would have been a newsworthy tidbit if Zac said, "I admit we had Kincaid as the top TE and he was 100% the pick we wanted at #28."

/end old guy, get off my lawn babble about dumb tweets.

No. What you are missing is that Mayer & Washington were not as highly regarded by the Bengals as by many fans. That is the upshot. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 02:48 PM)Housh Wrote: I am actually surprised this isn’t done.

Could still happen. He and Wilcox are still out there. 
Reply/Quote
Bengals offense utilizes TE as an outlet receiver…not a focal point (like a Travis Kelce for example). They view them as “plug, play, replace”.

I think Zac maybe would have thought about drafting one of them, if they’d fallen to them in the draft. But, they didn’t. And, they certainly weren’t going to reach for one.

If they had viewed TE position differently, they would have resigned Uzoma or Hurst. They let both walk.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2023, 11:00 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Bengals offense utilizes TE as an outlet receiver…not a focal point (like a Travis Kelce for example).  They view them as “plug, play, replace”.

I think Zac maybe would have thought about drafting one of them, if they’d fallen to them in the draft.  But, they didn’t.  And, they certainly weren’t going to reach for one.

If they had viewed TE position differently, they would have resigned Uzoma or Hurst.  They let both walk.

They don't want to have to change to continuity of their pass protection or run blocking every year like they have been. They've said they have been looking in the draft the last two years but the value just hasn't been there at their pick and are not gonna reach. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 10:07 PM)ah5 Wrote: Are people still crying about this... Who cares about TE, we will pick up another reject from fa and Burrow will make him 8 mil per next year. That is when irv smith goes down week 3.

Every other nfl team = who cares about tight end. 
Reply/Quote
Scouts weren't really as high on Mayer as some on this board was. I didn't think Zac mentioned the two by name, but those were my guesses when I saw the headlines that they liked 2 TE's.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote