Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Zac Really Happy With Irv Smith & Drew Sample
If the Bengals do upgrade TE in the draft, I hope it isn't in the first round. The NFL is notoriously bad at identifying TE prospects who will do well at the next level. Over the last 10-15 years, the first round TE list is incredibly disappointing and successful players are peppered around day 2 and 3. This doesn't mean that I think if they choose a guy later in the draft, they will have more success. I just think we still haven't quite figured out how to accurately assess TEs and would rather not risk the first round on one with them having such a high bust rate.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 10:50 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: If the Bengals do upgrade TE in the draft, I hope it isn't in the first round. The NFL is notoriously bad at identifying TE prospects who will do well at the next level. Over the last 10-15 years, the first round TE list is incredibly disappointing and successful players are peppered around day 2 and 3. This doesn't mean that I think if they choose a guy later in the draft, they will have more success. I just think we still haven't quite figured out how to accurately assess TEs and would rather not risk the first round on one with them having such a high bust rate.

Outside of QB and WR we seem to have a lot of 1st round busts. Do you have faith in our history of CBs or OL? This late in the 1st round, there's not really any player you're going to feel amazing about unless someone falls for some reason. 

I don't disagree though and am fine not taking TE early.
Reply/Quote
Zac is happy he has Burrow and talented WRs. He'll deal with Irv and Sample as his TEs if the draft focuses on players at other positions.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 11:15 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Zac is happy he has Burrow and talented WRs. He'll deal with Irv and Sample as his TEs if the draft focuses on players at other positions.

I'm with you

I'm just not as certain they view TE as a giant need? But so much I'm sure just depends on how it shakes out. I mean so much can and does happen in the draft. It seldom ends up like all the talking heads have it going down.

How the whole QB circus plays out will be a big factor in how everything else goes down. Lots of QB's early peeps are gonna fall. And so on.

I'd say they're pretty wide open to who they take just depending on what goes down.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 11:22 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm with you

I'm just not as certain they view TE as a giant need? But so much I'm sure just depends on how it shakes out. I mean so much can and does happen in the draft. It seldom ends up like all the talking heads have it going down.

How the whole QB circus plays out will be a big factor in how everything else goes down. Lots of QB's early peeps are gonna fall. And so on.

I'd say they're pretty wide open to who they take just depending on what goes down.

I think adding a TE is a solid move but I don't think they are worried about it and will not take one in round 1. They might add some depth in later rounds.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 11:15 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Zac is happy he has Burrow and talented WRs. He'll deal with Irv and Sample as his TEs if the draft focuses on players at other positions.

Exactly. When you have Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd; TE is a luxury. And it’s not like we’re starting sample, Smith is good enough.

I really think we’re drafting for a replacement next year. And what’s more important to replace next year, Awuzie, Jonah Williams, or TE?
Reply/Quote

I know that they are looking hard still at TE but their philosophy is to set the draft up where they have flexibility. If they like a TE that’s elite I think they go there. But it’s got to be Kincaid or Mayer probably

I’ve said on here for weeks I think they move up a few spots and swap picks via a Jonah trade.

(04-23-2023, 11:27 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think adding a TE is a solid move but I don't think they are worried about it and will not take one in round 1. They might add some depth in later rounds.

If they stay at 28 they will go with an elite TE,RT, Bijan if he falls, Forbes, or even an elite DT or Edge. Which is another reason it think they move up a few spots. It opens up Bijan more and an elite DT or Edge. As Ochocincos and I’ve agreed they lots of times draft a year ahead like with Dax.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 12:05 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Exactly. When you have Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Boyd; TE is a luxury. And it’s not like we’re starting sample, Smith is good enough.

I really think we’re drafting for a replacement next year. And what’s more important to replace next year, Awuzie, Jonah Williams, or TE?

And they also likely have to replace Boyd. And, quite possibly, Higgins if his agent continues to be a hard person with whom to negotiate. 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 12:23 PM)Nepa Wrote: And they also likely have to replace Boyd. And, quite possibly, Higgins if his agent continues to be a hard person with whom to negotiate. 

Higgins… Joe wants. They will do everything in their power to make it work. It sounds like the 3 ( Joe,Tee,& Chase) are in lock step in making it work. Of course until it gets serious it’s just an unknown really.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 12:23 PM)Nepa Wrote: And they also likely have to replace Boyd. And, quite possibly, Higgins if his agent continues to be a hard person with whom to negotiate. 

Yeah, possibly have to replace 2 WR. I don’t think we have the luxury to take a TE.
Reply/Quote

Higgins is not going anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 03:27 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Yeah, possibly have to replace 2 WR. I don’t think we have the luxury to take a TE.

I think the thought for some is a good receiving TE largely replaces the Boyd role. 
Reply/Quote

(04-23-2023, 11:27 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think adding a TE is a solid move but I don't think they are worried about it and will not take one in round 1. They might add some depth in later rounds.

Well, they have looked at all the top TE's. This makes me think they might go TE earlier than some think.

What is nice is TE's fall more so than WR's, we should be able to get a top one in the 2nd round.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 09:00 PM)ah5 Wrote: Please stop the TE crap in the first... Grab a db or lineman and not waste it on someone getting 3 targets a game.

3 targets a game because below avg TEs on roster, today's gave TEs have increased value plus who knows about future of higgins and Boyd plus a 1 year rental in Smith. Hope we pull trigger early.
Reply/Quote
What's Zac supposed to say about Irv and Drew? "They both suck and I wish they would die!"?  He knows the score, but bad mouthing current players on the roster isn't exactly part of the head coaching curriculum last time I checked.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Should have drafted Mayer.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:49 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: Should have drafted Mayer.

No, we shouldn’t have. Tell me the last great tight end that got drafted in the first round… I’ll give you a hint, you have to go back OVER 10 years.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:53 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: No, we shouldn’t have.  Tell me the last great tight end that got drafted in the first round… I’ll give you a hint, you have to go back OVER 10 years.

Ah yes Kellen Winslow Jr.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2023, 12:53 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: No, we shouldn’t have.  Tell me the last great tight end that got drafted in the first round… I’ll give you a hint, you have to go back OVER 10 years.

I would like Darnell Washington in the 2nd round even if Mike Mayer is still around, nothing against Mayer.

Still want Tyjae Spears RB Tulane.
Reply/Quote
First and foremost, I like Irv Smith. I think he will have a helluva year. Secondly, a shitload of TEs still on the board.
Reply/Quote