Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is our media helping the terrorists win?
(11-30-2015, 01:41 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Writes the character who uses fear mongering media stories urging the government to "close our borders" for our safety.

Love it .

Yeah crazy notion to restrict borders when we have an illegal immigration crisis.
(12-01-2015, 06:39 PM)Bengalzona Wrote:  

Terrorists and bombs are nothing new in Europe and France, and in Paris in particular. And they learned long ago that life must go on despite the disruption. We are the ones who are fixated upon these events. Modern media is driven by the fixation of our own population. We have people here who want to be scared.

My opinion, but I think a lot of it goes back to WWII. There are plenty of European places to see the scars of fighting. There are still people young enough to remember what it was like to be bombed, or to have an occupying force show up. You can find some pretty crazy post-war stuff in some countrysides, or even some of the older buildings. I remember reading a couple years ago about an undetonated shell someone found in a wall. In Germany, they uncover an average of 15 unexploded ordinances per day since WWII, or something crazy like that.

The closest we've come to that are Pearl Harbor and the 9-11 attack. But instead of moving on, we focus on those two days like the world stopped. I had an employee not show up on 9-11 once. When I called and asked her if she was coming in, she thought it was a holiday.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-02-2015, 12:20 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Love it .

Yeah crazy notion to restrict borders when we have an illegal immigration crisis.

Bunko.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/11/19/more-mexicans-leaving-than-coming-to-the-u-s/

There's more leaving than coming. Thanks, Obama!
(12-02-2015, 12:41 PM)Benton Wrote: Bunko.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/11/19/more-mexicans-leaving-than-coming-to-the-u-s/

There's more leaving than coming. Thanks, Obama!

Yeah his part time economy has helped.  Still doesn't change the fact that we need more restrictive borders for at least 10 years while we work though the current illegals.  
(12-02-2015, 12:38 PM)Benton Wrote: My opinion, but I think a lot of it goes back to WWII. There are plenty of European places to see the scars of fighting. There are still people young enough to remember what it was like to be bombed, or to have an occupying force show up. You can find some pretty crazy post-war stuff in some countrysides, or even some of the older buildings. I remember reading a couple years ago about an undetonated shell someone found in a wall. In Germany, they uncover an average of 15 unexploded ordinances per day since WWII, or something crazy like that.

The closest we've come to that are Pearl Harbor and the 9-11 attack. But instead of moving on, we focus on those two days like the world stopped. I had an employee not show up on 9-11 once. When I called and asked her if she was coming in, she thought it was a holiday.

I can definitely see that. I mean, in the past century we have experienced in this country criminal violence, and two one-off attacks on our soil. We have not experienced prolonged violence of the type experienced in some other countries. We are removed from it and so those one-off attacks are a much more, I hate to use the word novel here as I am sure there is something more appropriate, but that's what comes to mind. Because of that, we definitely look at the rest of the world through that lens.
(12-02-2015, 12:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah his part time economy has helped.  Still doesn't change the fact that we need more restrictive borders for at least 10 years while we work though the current illegals.  

Why, so they can't leave?

Mellow
(12-02-2015, 01:05 PM)Benton Wrote: Why, so they can't leave?

Mellow

Securing the borders and restricting Legal immigration will allow us to sort out who stays and who goes in the current illegal population. If they want to cut themselves then so be it .... But we can't just wait for them to leave whenever they wish.

Mind you free trade is something that we should stop as well . It's killing these third world nations as well as our economy. Nafta doesn't help Mexico or us. It's a payoff to big manufacturing.
(12-02-2015, 12:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I can definitely see that. I mean, in the past century we have experienced in this country criminal violence, and two one-off attacks on our soil. We have not experienced prolonged violence of the type experienced in some other countries. We are removed from it and so those one-off attacks are a much more, I hate to use the word novel here as I am sure there is something more appropriate, but that's what comes to mind. Because of that, we definitely look at the rest of the world through that lens.

And historically, we've been really isolated from that kind of violence. If you look back over Europe since the Roman Empire started to spread, there's a constant cycle of fighting. Maybe not wars in all cases, but prolonged fighting between kingdoms, counties, governments, tribes, etc. And most of it was either at their doorstep or going to the next door step and fighting.

We've had two considerable battles that effected everyone here, the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. More remotely, the War of 1812 and the French-Indian War, but those were much more remote. And all of that was pre-20th Century. Now we have parks and community gardens where those battlefields were. It's not like in parts of Europe or South America or the Middle East where your father or grandfather can point at a building and say "See that, I hid in there for three days while the other army shelled us from a mile away."
(12-02-2015, 12:38 PM)Benton Wrote: My opinion, but I think a lot of it goes back to WWII. There are plenty of European places to see the scars of fighting. There are still people young enough to remember what it was like to be bombed, or to have an occupying force show up. You can find some pretty crazy post-war stuff in some countrysides, or even some of the older buildings. I remember reading a couple years ago about an undetonated shell someone found in a wall. In Germany, they uncover an average of 15 unexploded ordinances per day since WWII, or something crazy like that.

Even in just the post WWII period Europe has had a lot more experience with terrorist attacks. This has been a reality for the European countries for over sixty years. Meanwhile, we watched on TV.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]