Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is our window closing ?
(08-15-2016, 03:42 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: If Andy produces and stays healthy this team providing they continue to draft well could be competitive another 10 or so years easily.

You really think Andy will still be playing in 10 years?  He turns 29 in October, which would mean he plays until 39.  Very few do that, especially at a high level.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 01:09 PM)The Burfict Answer Wrote: Jw what you guys think? We have aj and dalton in their prime for another 5 years

A young running back core, young receivers , overall a young D.

I heard on mo Eggers shoe that munoz said our window to win a championship was closing , I just don't see it . We are easily one of the best drafting teams in the league.

You don't make the playoffs 6 out if the last 7 years without a good front office. Do you guys think the window is closing or do you feel like we are playoff contenders for a while?

Our 29 year olds at WR and QB make us a lot younger than Flacco or Ben. If our windows are closing then their windows must be shut
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 05:15 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You really think Andy will still be playing in 10 years?  He turns 29 in October, which would mean he plays until 39.  Very few do that, especially at a high level.

It seems to be happening more and pocket passers pay longer than running QB's so yes I think he has a good of a shot as Flacco, or Ben of playing to age 39 or 40. Brady and Peyton are recent examples of brains of running ability have long careers. How old is Brees?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 05:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It seems to be happening more and pocket passers pay longer than running QB's so yes I think he has a good of a shot as Flacco, or Ben of playing to age 39 or 40. Brady and Peyton are recent examples of brains of running ability have long careers. How old is Brees?

It is still extremely rare, and especially rare to be competitive at that age.  In Manning and Brady you are talking about for sure first ballot Hall of Fame guys, and while probably not first ballot, Brees is probably a lock as well.  Not only can most guys not keep up with the physical demands at that age, but there is not a big market for their services.
Reply/Quote
Definitely. I mean we're only going to have Carson, Chad, and TJ for so many more years, yknow? Ninja

Reply/Quote
Whitworth and Jones are some of the best players on the team and will not be easily replaced. After them you have to wonder how long the entire starting D-line will be able to play at a high level for. Atkins and Dunlap are on fire, Peko and Johnson are starting NFL material, but we don't know how long they'll be able to keep playing at a high level. Zeitler and Eifert are both extremely good players and may be poached in FA before we know it. Dansby is getting up there in age. These types of players don't just grow on trees - any of these dudes would be sorely missed. If they don't win big soon it could be a very long time until the franchise sees another Whit or Atkins type of player. I could see why some may see a limited time window despite having Green and Dalton locked in for a good long while.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 05:15 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You really think Andy will still be playing in 10 years?  He turns 29 in October, which would mean he plays until 39.  Very few do that, especially at a high level.

How many 39 year old QBs these days play for the same team the whole time?  I think Brady is the only starter over the age of 35 who is still on his original team.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:29 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: From a fans perspective I can see this line of thinking. We see the players talent, and the coaches history and we have no choice but to think Marvin is the Achilles heel.

But then I look at all of these great players and how much they love and respect him as their coach. I see how most of the guys want to be a part of this team and have confidence that they can win it all with Marvin at the helm. So then I wonder, if they have confidence in him then why can't I? 

Those players absolutely believe in marvins ability to take them where they want to go. If they didn't, wouldn't most of them be trying to get out of town to find someone that they truly believed in? I just think it's odd that his players believe in him so much, and they are the ones being coached by him day in and day out. So what are we as fans missing? And if he does take them there will we admit we were wrong or continue to point to his past?

We are fans, we are not players, players have a better perspective of a coach than fans... our achilles heel as a fan is we do see all that goes on with a football team and really lack the ability to fairly assess a coach as a player does.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 12:30 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We are fans, we are not players, players have a better perspective of a coach than fans... our achilles heel as a fan is we do see all that goes on with a football team and really lack the ability to fairly assess a coach as a player does.

So you're picking up exactly what I was setting down in my previous post.  ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
Dalton will turn 29 this year, AJ Green is 28 this year, Michael Johnson is 29 this year, Geno Atkins is 28 this year, Adam Jones will turn 33 this year, Andrew Whitworth will turn 35 this year.

Burfict's knee might shorten his career, Eifert's injuries sure aren't lengthening his career.

I'm not scared of the window closing this year or next, but 2018? Honestly might be something to watch out for. A lot of your best players who used to be your great young talent will be in their 30s then.

Not to mention Cap-wise in 2018, Burfict will be a FA, Eifert will be a FA (assuming they pick up his 5th year option for 2017), Maualuga will be a FA, Dennard will be a FA (unless they pick up his 5th year option), Jeremy Hill will be a FA, Russell Bodine will be a FA... and Zeitler/Kirkpatrick will be a FA after this year.

So I think 2018 will be the start of the window closing. All those guys hitting FA, and your best players either retiring (Whit/Adam) or getting into their 30s (Dalton, AJ, MJ, Atkins). They have wasted a lot of really good rosters and a lot of really good players' prime years under Lewis. Can't help but think that Bill B or Pete C would have a couple SB under their belt with the recent Bengals teams, and probably another one or two more before it starts breaking up.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Its not outside the realm of possibility.  But truth be told if they continue to draft well then they will have guys to be the next crop of stars for the team.
QBs playing into their late 30s is becoming more the norm than ever before.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 01:09 PM)The Burfict Answer Wrote: Jw what you guys think? We have aj and dalton in their prime for another 5 years

I heard on mo Eggers shoe that munoz said our window to win a championship was closing , I just don't see it . We are easily one of the best drafting teams in the league.

You don't make the playoffs 6 out if the last 7 years without a good front office. Do you guys think the window is closing or do you feel like we are playoff contenders for a while?

I don't feel like it is closing at all.  Here is what I consider to be our "core players":

Dalton- Entering prime of career
Gio, Hill- Entering prime of careers
AJ- Entering prime of career
Eifert- Entering prime of career
Whit- Ageless wonder...still one of the best LTs in football, but they have a replacement already drafted and being groomed.
Ced- second year player

Geno- Entering prime of career
Dunlap- Entering prime of career
Burfict- Entering prime of career
Williams/Iloka- Entering prime of career
Dennard/Dre- Entering prime of career
Adam Jones- See Whit

The best thing about this list is they are already somewhat prepared for their departure/drop off in a couple years (if it happens) with quality draft picks.  They won't have to break the bank for a high-priced FA.  They have a process that is producing results and I see no reason at all why they won't continue to ascend.  That's right, ASCEND.  This team has the core unit intact with veteran experience and talent at every level of the offense and defense.  The only window closing around here is the one a few miles Northeast, where a certain fat turd QB approaches the end.  
Reply/Quote

I honestly feel the window is starting to close.  If we don't get it done within the next 2 years it will have closed itself on the CORE of Draft of 2011.  I am assuming that everyone is agreeing this is the pivotal point in which we believe that the NEW CORE began.  So with most certainty the window is CLOSING but not closed.  However the over all scope of where we are compared to where we have been is great, each passing summer will bring new talent and different schemes that our CORE players from the 2011 draft will have to deal with and their age increases.  Youth is key in FOOTBALL overall.  So we are 6-7 years out of 2011 so yes, with certainty our window is starting to fall. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 01:37 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Dalton will turn 29 this year, AJ Green is 28 this year, Michael Johnson is 29 this year, Geno Atkins is 28 this year, Adam Jones will turn 33 this year, Andrew Whitworth will turn 35 this year.

Burfict's knee might shorten his career, Eifert's injuries sure aren't lengthening his career.

I'm not scared of the window closing this year or next, but 2018? Honestly might be something to watch out for. A lot of your best players who used to be your great young talent will be in their 30s then.

Not to mention Cap-wise in 2018, Burfict will be a FA, Eifert will be a FA (assuming they pick up his 5th year option for 2017), Maualuga will be a FA, Dennard will be a FA (unless they pick up his 5th year option), Jeremy Hill will be a FA, Russell Bodine will be a FA... and Zeitler/Kirkpatrick will be a FA after this year.

So I think 2018 will be the start of the window closing. All those guys hitting FA, and your best players either retiring (Whit/Adam) or getting into their 30s (Dalton, AJ, MJ, Atkins). They have wasted a lot of really good rosters and a lot of really good players' prime years under Lewis. Can't help but think that Bill B or Pete C would have a couple SB under their belt with the recent Bengals teams, and probably another one or two more before it starts breaking up.

This.  They have already burned through a number of really good rosters in the last couple years with nothing to show for it.  Yes, you can point to some injuries and some bad calls to excuse what happened, but the fact remains the same.  Through age, through injury, and financially they will not be able to keep this team together forever.  They need to start making things happen.
Reply/Quote