Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the AFCN going to be weak in 2016?
(06-24-2016, 12:27 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I can't open that link, and there has been no other source saying he's signed with the Broncos. It would be everywhere if it were true.

EDIT* that's the franchise tag that he refuses to sign.

Strange, I couldn't get the link to open, either.  But yes, it could be the tag.  Why would they say that he is under contract, if he won't sign it?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 12:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Strange, I couldn't get the link to open, either.  But yes, it could be the tag.  Why would they say that he is under contract, if he won't sign it?

You added in too many http:// to the link.

IDK, but it's a big deal right now. The last I heard a few days ago he's not even going to show up to practice until they sign him. He hasn't been to any training camps so far, and they can't fine him because he's not under contract.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 12:36 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: You added in too many http:// to the link.

IDK, but it's a big deal right now. The last I heard a few days ago he's not even going to show up to practice until they sign him. He hasn't been to any training camps so far, and they can't fine him because he's not under contract.

Odd, I didn't modify the link, just copied and pasted through the insert link icon.

I'm betting that a deal gets done.  As I can't see him sitting out, losing an entire year of earnings.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Don't we predict the Steelers to "get old and take a step back" every off-season?
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 02:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Don't we predict the Steelers to "get old and take a step back" every off-season?

No, I normally say the AFCN is the one of the toughest (if not the toughest) division in football.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 03:26 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: No, I normally say the AFCN is the one of the toughest (if not the toughest) division in football.

[Image: 51531670.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 03:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: [Image: 51531670.jpg]

Most people in this thread are disagreeing with me. So, who else would it be directed at?
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 03:42 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Most people in this thread are disagreeing with me. So, who else would it be directed at?

I'm talking about the same ol' off-season thing a number of us (myself included at least once before I learned my lesson) have been saying every year.  Lordy, I was SO SURE the Steelers were in trouble after Santonio Holmes left!
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 04:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm talking about the same ol' off-season thing a number of us (myself included at least once before I learned my lesson) have been saying every year.  Lordy, I was SO SURE the Steelers were in trouble after Santonio Holmes left!

I almost guarantee that the Steelers won't be as good as they were last year. They might have a similar record to what they had last year, but that's only because they have a much easier schedule. They didn't replace the loss of their #2 receiver, or their clutch TE. I don't think they really added anyone that will make a big impact this off season. They just lost people.

Their offense was all they had last year, and that got worse during the offseason. How are they going to get better, or even stay the same?
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 09:51 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Haters gonna hate....

But homers gonna home.

FYI, you fall into the latter. Please note your mentioning of the Broncos not having Miller while ignoring he loss of Eifert & Burfict for the Bengals.

The Bengals are due for a bad season and/or the injury bug to bite. Marvin Lewis is due to turn back into Marvin Lewis. The deck is stacked against them

- Every one of the Bengals toughest games except for maybe 1 or 2 are on the road. They open at the Jets on 9/11. Tough one for sure.

- They lose a home game to London.

- They have plenty of prime time action... where AD & ML still tend to crap themselves (see 6 points at home on MNF against the Texans last season in a game where they would have clinched #1 seed in AFC).

- New coaches or coaches changing positions.

- Lost key vets at key positions.

- Guys showing up fat.

- Key guy already injured (Eifert) and expected to miss start of season.

It's the perfect storm for 7-9 or 6-10. They are due and the variables all have the Bengals stock pointing down in the wins column.
Due for a bad season?  What the hell does that even mean?  Nothing.  That's what.

And how the hell does 9/11 give the Jets some kind of advantage?   That's just plain stupid.

People keep saying this crap about the Bengals and every year they keep being wrong.

Eifert misses a game or even two.  So be it.  We have guys to fill in.  He's missed games every year and yet the train still keeps rolling.  Oh, ye of so little faith.  How are you missing the pattern here?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 04:28 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I almost guarantee that the Steelers won't be as good as they were last year. They might have a similar record to what they had last year, but that's only because they have a much easier schedule. They didn't replace the loss of their #2 receiver, or their clutch TE. I don't think they really added anyone that will make a big impact this off season. They just lost people.

Their offense was all they had last year, and that got worse during the offseason. How are they going to get better, or even stay the same?

I hope the Steelers take a step back and stink in 2016, but...

Ben might play more than 12 games
The Steelers might replace their #2 WR as easily as we replaced ours
The Steelers are replacing Miller with Ladarius Green who could be as good, if not better than an "on his last-legs" Miller

I guess it's hard for me to understand the assumption that the Bengals can lose offensive pieces and get better while the Steelers will suffer because of it.  I hate the Steelers, but I've also been burned celebrating their demise during the off-season.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 07:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I hope the Steelers take a step back and stink in 2016, but...

Ben might play more than 12 games
The Steelers might replace their #2 WR as easily as we replaced ours
The Steelers are replacing Miller with Ladarius Green who could be as good, if not better than an "on his last-legs" Miller

I guess it's hard for me to understand the assumption that the Bengals can lose offensive pieces and get better while the Steelers will suffer because of it.  I hate the Steelers, but I've also been burned celebrating their demise during the off-season.

Yeah, Ben should play more than 12 games, but that doesn't change the fact that we played them all 3 times with Ben at the helm last season. 4 of the 6 losses they had were when Ben was starting too.

The Steelers didn't replace their #2 WR though. We replaced ours with a proven vet that has had just as much production as our previous #2

Green *could* be as good, but he never has. Miller averaged 676 yards and 3.5 TDs the last 4 years and Green averaged 343 yards and 2.3 TDs the last 3 years (I'll remove his rookie year, because he only had 4 receptions that year). Greens best year is about the same as Millers Worst year in the league.

It will be hard for the Bengals to be better offensively than last year due to them being one of the best in the league while Dalton was around, but I don't think that we lose that much because we replaced Marvin Jones with a receiver that's just as good. The Steelers are clearly going to suffer for it because they took downgrades to the positions that they lost, unlike us.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 08:15 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Yeah, Ben should play more than 12 games, but that doesn't change the fact that we played them all 3 times with Ben at the helm last season. 4 of the 6 losses they had were when Ben was starting too.

The Steelers didn't replace their #2 WR though. We replaced ours with a proven vet that has had just as much production as our previous #2

Green *could* be as good, but he never has. Miller averaged 676 yards and 3.5 TDs the last 4 years and Green averaged 343 yards and 2.3 TDs the last 3 years (I'll remove his rookie year, because he only had 4 receptions that year). Greens best year is about the same as Millers Worst year in the league.

It will be hard for the Bengals to be better offensively than last year due to them being one of the best in the league while Dalton was around, but I don't think that we lose that much because we replaced Marvin Jones with a receiver that's just as good. The Steelers are clearly going to suffer for it because they took downgrades to the positions that they lost, unlike us.

Well, I hope you're right.  I'm just not as sure that:

Hue --> Zampsese
Jones --> Lafell
Eifert for x games --> Kroft

are non-factors and/or upgrades but:

Bryant --> Wheaton
Miller --> Green

are notable drop-offs, that's all.  Oh, plus we are going from a 2nd place schedule to a 1st place one and the Steelers are going from a 1st place to a 2nd...might not be a factor, though. We shall see!

EDIT: I forgot to point out in my earlier post that we are hoping/predicting no drop-off from Hue to Zampese. Can we honestly say we wouldn't be predicting a huge loss if the Steelers went from Haley to Randy Ficthner as their OC? Just saying.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 08:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, I hope you're right.  I'm just not as sure that:

Hue --> Zampsese
Jones --> Lafell
Eifert for x games --> Kroft

are non-factors and/or upgrades but:

Bryant --> Wheaton
Miller --> Green

are notable drop-offs, that's all.  Oh, plus we are going from a 2nd place schedule to a 1st place one and the Steelers are going from a 1st place to a 2nd...might not be a factor, though.  We shall see!

EDIT:  I forgot to point out in my earlier post that we are hoping/predicting no drop-off from Hue to Zampese.  Can we  honestly say we wouldn't be predicting a huge loss if the Steelers went from Haley to Randy Ficthner as their OC?  Just saying.

I'm not that worried about Zampese, because we have Dalton. Dalton makes coaches careers. Gruden didn't have ANY NFL experience and with Dalton as his QB he got a HC job in 3 years. Jackson had to go back to a RBs coach, and when Gruden left took the OC spot. Teams didn't want him as their OC or they would have tried to take him from the Bengals. Now only 2 years later he's a HC. Zampese has an easy job with Dalton as his QB. Dalton will be running the offense just like he was last year.

You already know my response concerning Jones and LaFell.

Eifert is always hurt. There is no difference from last year or any year he's played in the NFL. Plus we don't even know if he's going to be out any games. It's all speculation.

Yes, we will have the 1st place schedule, but that schedule is still easier than the 2nd place schedule we had last year.

That is why ours is non-factors and theirs is notable drop-offs. Nothing you have said to disprove that point either.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 09:20 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I'm not that worried about Zampese, because we have Dalton. Dalton makes coaches careers. Gruden didn't have ANY NFL experience and with Dalton as his QB he got a HC job in 3 years. Jackson had to go back to a RBs coach, and when Gruden left took the OC spot. Teams didn't want him as their OC or they would have tried to take him from the Bengals. Now only 2 years later he's a HC. Zampese has an easy job with Dalton as his QB. Dalton will be running the offense just like he was last year.

You already know my response concerning Jones and LaFell.

Eifert is always hurt. There is no difference from last year or any year he's played in the NFL. Plus we don't even know if he's going to be out any games. It's all speculation.

Yes, we will have the 1st place schedule, but that schedule is still easier than the 2nd place schedule we had last year.

That is why ours is non-factors and theirs is notable drop-offs. Nothing you have said to disprove that point either.

Lordy that's some optimism. I'm just wondering where Zampese is going to go to be a HC after Dalton makes him look like a star!

I don't suppose the Steelers have a Hof QB who can save them from a decline though, eh?
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 10:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Lordy that's some optimism.  I'm just wondering where Zampese is going to go to be a HC after Dalton makes him look like a star!

I don't suppose the Steelers have a Hof QB who can save them from a decline though, eh?

Meh, people were calling me a huge homer when I made my prediction thread last year, and most of the things came true or at least close to it.

The Steelers aren't going through a OC change though. They're going through a downgrade on offensive weapons. Ben can lessen the blow of that, but it's not like he is going to be able to be just as good with worse weapons around him.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2016, 12:21 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Meh, people were calling me a huge homer when I made my prediction thread last year, and most of the things came true or at least close to it.

The Steelers aren't going through a OC change though. They're going through a downgrade on offensive weapons. Ben can lessen the blow of that, but it's not like he is going to be able to just as good with worse weapons around him.

If you aren't on Dalton's payroll as a PR guy you're a sucker...I'll grant you that.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2016, 12:41 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If you aren't on Dalton's payroll as a PR guy you're a sucker...I'll grant you that.

lol, I wish I was.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2016, 07:59 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Hell no.

What are you smoking?

Though we might want it to be in the dumps. The Bengals starting out 0-3 is a very real possibility this season.
Sure if your glass is always half empty.
Reply/Quote
Truth is nobody really knows right now who will do what.. I'm sure you all remember the predictions about the Bengals getting the floor mopped with Dalton at the helm his rookie season and yet we went to the playoffs.
One thing you can bank on is the pundentry predicting the Squeelers being the greatest team since the advent of sliced bread and the Bengals falling. That much is always carved in stone.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote