Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the AFCN going to be weak in 2016?
(06-24-2016, 02:12 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Preseason predictions have historically been about as good as British polls. They get it wrong every time.

So, I'm going to say that the NFC North is going to be total more wins in 2016 than it did in 2015. Cleveland can't really get worse and if Flacco stays healthy you have to give the Ravens a few more wins. The dicey one is Pittsburgh. I don't see how they've improved that much. I also believe the Bengals new receivers are going to surprise the NFL. If Dalton stays healthy the Bengals could top last year's win total.

Predictions are sometimes entertaining.  I have seen a few predictions that have predicted one of the following 3 teams to win the championship this year:

New England
Carolina
Pittsburgh
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 08:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, I hope you're right.  I'm just not as sure that:

Hue --> Zampsese
Jones --> Lafell
Eifert for x games --> Kroft

are non-factors and/or upgrades but:

Bryant --> Wheaton
Miller --> Green

are notable drop-offs, that's all.  Oh, plus we are going from a 2nd place schedule to a 1st place one and the Steelers are going from a 1st place to a 2nd...might not be a factor, though.  We shall see!

EDIT:  I forgot to point out in my earlier post that we are hoping/predicting no drop-off from Hue to Zampese.  Can we  honestly say we wouldn't be predicting a huge loss if the Steelers went from Haley to Randy Ficthner as their OC?  Just saying.
Good question but i would say no for a few reasons

1. Hue was OC for two years, Haley longer so Haley would have more of a impact lose
2. Zampese has coached Dalton all his years, Ficthner 3 years i believe as QB coach
3. Zampese is a bit more seasoned in the NFL and been with Cincy longer than Ficthner has with Pitt
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2016, 05:23 AM)grampahol Wrote: Truth is nobody really knows right now who will do what.. I'm sure you all remember the predictions about the Bengals getting the floor mopped with Dalton at the helm his rookie season  and yet we went to the playoffs.
One thing you can bank on is the pundentry predicting the Squeelers being the greatest team since the advent of sliced bread and the Bengals falling.  That much is always carved in stone.

Meh, 5 seasons ago we won 9 games with a 4th place schedule and beat a single team with a winning record.  Call me a jerk, but I think it's time we stop acting like the Bengals gave the world a giant middle finger by losing a playoff game to a 3rd string QB. Pleasant surprise, yes, but it's time to get over the slight already.

Also, predictions aren't perfect but I don't see anyone who claims that we "have no idea what will happen" betting $10k on the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2016, 01:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, 5 seasons ago we won 9 games with a 4th place schedule and beat a single team with a winning record.  Call me a jerk, but I think it's time we stop acting like the Bengals gave the world a giant middle finger by losing a playoff game to a 3rd string QB. Pleasant surprise, yes, but it's time to get over the slight already.

Also, predictions aren't perfect but I don't see anyone who claims that we "have no idea what will happen" betting $10k on the Browns.

People knew we were going to play the 4th place schedule and they still predicted that we would only have a couple wins that season. They seen a team that lost their top 2 weapons and their starting QB and the defense wasn't playing that great either. People thought it would take a miracle for us to go to the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2016, 07:48 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: People knew we were going to play the 4th place schedule and they still predicted that we would only have a couple wins that season. They seen a team that lost their top 2 weapons and their starting QB and the defense wasn't playing that great either. People thought it would take a miracle for us to go to the playoffs.

My lord, I can't believe they haven't made a movie of this triumphant hard luck story, yet.  Charlie Brown and the Jews got nothin' on hard luck Dalton and the 2011 Bengals!  

The Bengals were predicted to have a losing season in 2009, too and I don't see anyone stroking themselves over how much we crow we made the experts eat that year.  We had a broken down QB with no throwing arm left in Palmer, a WR diva who wanted out in Chad Ohsostinko, and a scrapheap RB bust in Benson.

So in 2009 and 2011 we were expected to have losing seasons and instead made the playoffs and lost to a total joke of a QB.  Wow, suck on THAT Steeler fans!  Meh.

2009 Bengals gave Sanchez his first playoff victory
2011 Bengals gave TJ Yates his only playoff victory
2012 Steelers gave Tim Teboner his only playoff victory

and yet one of these seasons is a source of pride because "Aw shucks, look at them kids give it their all!" Cute.
Reply/Quote
I couldn't care less what the end of the year records will be, the AFCN teams beat the hell out of each other 6 games a year. I'm sure all the players circle those games on their calendar. Whether it's an up year or down year, the AFCN teams get up for games against each other.

At the end of the year, people may say the division was a little weak based off of the teams records, but this division is never weak.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 04:57 PM)McC Wrote: Due for a bad season?  What the hell does that even mean?  Nothing.  That's what.

And how the hell does 9/11 give the Jets some kind of advantage?   That's just plain stupid.

People keep saying this crap about the Bengals and every year they keep being wrong.

Eifert misses a game or even two.  So be it.  We have guys to fill in.  He's missed games every year and yet the train still keeps rolling.  Oh, ye of so little faith.  How are you missing the pattern here?

- It means that in the NFL sustaining success year after year after year is incredibly hard. The Bengals have had strong success in the regular season for 5 years running and the odds that a bad one won't pop up is becoming less and less in their favor. Especially in what I consider the toughest division in football. Meaning: They're due.

- I guess home field advantage doesn't exist in your world?  Lalala 
  I disagree and think that the Jets, who were 10-6 and on the verge of the playoffs last season, will have an incredible crowd on opening day, which happens to be on the 15th anniversary of 9/11. Since you apparently live under a rock (or are a conspiracy theorist), 9/11 was a terrorist attack that New Yorkers in particular happen to be incredibly passionate about since, you know (or don't)... it happened there. Take that fact and couple it with the new coaches for the Bengals, the new players, two key injuries/suspensions, etc. and I think for an opening game that's as tough a place to go as any.

- I predicted 12-4 with a 1st round playoff exit before last season started. The Bengals had, IMO, a top 5 talented roster at the start of the season and then throughout the entire year remained relatively healthy. That's lucky in today's NFL and I don't expect a repeat of that good fortune.

-  The pattern? The pattern is different because the two receiving options to replace the ones who stepped up when Eifert was out are gone. I think LaFell, Core, & Boyd will be good, but am not going to have a wet dream over the possibilities of it taking a few games to happen.

And I like Kroft and Uzomah, but they aren't going to do what Eifert does. I expect them to struggle in comparison. If not, what a great thing. But that would be considered a surprise by most reasonable people.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2016, 05:11 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Do you think that the AFCN is going to be weak next season? I'm starting to think that the Bengals will run away with the division.

I think that the Steelers are going to take a step back next year. They lost their clutch TE, and #2 receiver. Plus Bell is made of glass, and their OL is getting old as dirt. They don't have a very good defense either. I think their offense might be a little better than average, but I don't think that it's going to be anything great.

I don't think that the Ravens will be that much better than they were last year. Their #1 receiver is the oldest receiver in the league, their #2 receiver is washed up (Mike Wallace), and they have suspect TEs / running game. Their defense is getting old, and I think it's just going to be mediocre next year.

The Browns are the Browns. I don't think that Hue is going to transform the team instantly. I think that if they gave him a few years he might be able to do something, but right now that team is such a dumpster fire I don't think anyone can help them.

I think the Steelers could win 9 games next year but that shouldn't be anywhere close to good enough to win the Division.

We are definately the team to beat in the AFC North. Steelers still have a good passing game and a decent running game
even without Bell. Their Defense like you said is nothing special anymore and i don't think FA or the draft helped them any.

The Ravens were decimated by injuries so it is hard to tell if they will be good. I will just assume they will be and go around
.500. Not good enough to win the Division either. We should win around 11 to 13 games this season.

Like you said the Browns are the Browns and they lost lots of their good players, rebuild mode.

Overall, not a weak Division cause 3 teams should atleast be around .500.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 04:57 PM)McC Wrote: Due for a bad season?  What the hell does that even mean?  Nothing.  That's what.

And how the hell does 9/11 give the Jets some kind of advantage?   That's just plain stupid.

People keep saying this crap about the Bengals and every year they keep being wrong.

Eifert misses a game or even two.  So be it.  We have guys to fill in.  He's missed games every year and yet the train still keeps rolling.  Oh, ye of so little faith.  How are you missing the pattern here?

The Bengals are due and you're about to understand what that means! Already an injury to the 1st round pick and out for the year. Eifert already out for a while.

The injury bug has been off running hell for other teams but it's back, already starting to nibble and it is HUNGRY!!!!!!!

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2016, 12:21 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Meh, people were calling me a huge homer when I made my prediction thread last year, and most of the things came true or at least close to it.

The Steelers aren't going through a OC change though. They're going through a downgrade on offensive weapons. Ben can lessen the blow of that, but it's not like he is going to be able to be just as good with worse weapons around him.

Which means Ben will be holding on to the ball longer in the pocket, that translates to more hits.
Reply/Quote
If Ravens, Steelers, and Bengals stay healthy, I think the division will be up for grabs though Bengals (with blinders off) is my pick to win it again. Browns are completely unknown, but if somehow they can get a running game going for RG3 with good pass blocking for him to get it to Gordon (if he actually plays), they should improve by year's end, and set themselves up for next year. That is assuming they dont fire Hue after year 1.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote