Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Bengals draft room divided?s
Scherger and Wright are saying its Sewell and Chase
To the Bengals according to their sources.

Im.curious as to at this moment who is offically
In the Bengals draft room and B) who do you think
Is banging the table for who?

Who has the final say if the room is divivded 50/50?
That would Tobin .....right?
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 11:29 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Scherger and Wright are saying its Sewell and Chase

I put more stock in the local guys that are more likely to personally talk to sources than the national one's.  Tyler Dragon has backed Wright, saying that they are leaning Chase.

Thing with Schrager is Sewell wasn't even the first T off the board in his previous mock.  Kinda feels like he changes his mocks around to generate clicks/discussion.  He also had NE trading up to 4.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Could be a situation like back when John Ross was drafted.
Some people in the org leaning one way, others leaning another.

Luckily, Bengals can't go wrong with either guy. I just hope they adjust their plans on the fly based on which guy they do take in the first round.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If the room is divided 50/50, I'd say that Mike Brown has the final say, unless he opts to sit it out (unlikely). Which means, if it's a 50/50 split, we'll probably go Chase, as I don't see him drafting a first rounder to play guard -- even if it's for just one year.
Reply/Quote
I would expect both Tobin and Taylor to be firmly in the Chase camp by now. Maybe Pollack would advocate for Sewell or Slater, but now much pull does he have? I don't think that they're going to be able to say no to Chase after his workout. Sewell's workout was nothing to sneeze at, but it wasn't transcendent like Chase's.  He's obviously been training like a maniac. 

Picking Chase just fits the Tobin MO to a tee: he's super athletic, has played good competition, has chemistry with an existing player, and appears to have been preparing like a pro. It fits the philosophy of thinking that you can plug in whoever on the line as well. 

As a Sewell enthusiast, I'm at peace with it.  Chase is a great prospect. I'm just not so sure that the whole "college chemistry" stuff with Burrow is this wonderful thing - it might cause both of them to want to regress to doing things the LSU way. Not the direction that I'd go, but this is a tough, tough call for someone to make. 
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 12:49 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote:  this is a tough, tough call for someone to make. 

Yes it is. Hope they really are invested in the choice they make because at this point, they can't afford to be wrong.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 12:49 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I would expect both Tobin and Taylor to be firmly in the Chase camp by now. Maybe Pollack would advocate for Sewell or Slater, but now much pull does he have? I don't think that they're going to be able to say no to Chase after his workout. Sewell's workout was nothing to sneeze at, but it wasn't transcendent like Chase's.  He's obviously been training like a maniac. 

Picking Chase just fits the Tobin MO to a tee: he's super athletic, has played good competition, has chemistry with an existing player, and appears to have been preparing like a pro. It fits the philosophy of thinking that you can plug in whoever on the line as well. 

As a Sewell enthusiast, I'm at peace with it.  Chase is a great prospect. I'm just not so sure that the whole "college chemistry" stuff with Burrow is this wonderful thing - it might cause both of them to want to regress to doing things the LSU way. Not the direction that I'd go, but this is a tough, tough call for someone to make. 

Might be better than the "Taylor way"...  just sayin'.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 01:17 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Might be better than the "Taylor way"...  just sayin'.

Plus, they already incorporated a bunch of LSU plays into our offense anyway. Iirc they had Burrow pick his 10 favorite.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 12:23 PM)shanebo Wrote: If the room is divided 50/50, I'd say that Mike Brown has the final say, unless he opts to sit it out (unlikely).  Which means, if it's a 50/50 split, we'll probably go Chase, as I don't see him drafting a first rounder to play guard -- even if it's for just one year.

Why would Sewell play G???

Reiff has NFL experience at G and has said he will play RG and is on a 1 year deal. 

Sewell would be the RT then, with Reiff and Spain/XSF at the other spot.

This is the best case scenario for the Bengals.

Sewell gets experience and when Jonah goes on IR again, Sewell can move to LT, Reiff to RT, XSF/Spain then are your guards....

It just makes a better line all in all.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 12:49 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Chase is a great prospect. I'm just not so sure that the whole "college chemistry" stuff with Burrow is this wonderful thing - it might cause both of them to want to regress to doing things the LSU way. Not the direction that I'd go, but this is a tough, tough call for someone to make. 

If they took Chase for that reason, I would literally give up lol. This is professional sports. I keep harkening back to a pair like Peyton Manning and Marcus Nash. It would have been so nuts had Peyton only wanted to play with him. It's a different context, I guess, but at some point we all need to grow up. Is chemistry really the sole explanation for what they did in 2019? Chase wasn't even their WR1. I would have thought it had more to do with Jefferson, Marshall, Edwards-Helaire, Moss, Orgeron, solid OL, etc. etc. etc. Heck, he played with AJ, Ross and Tate for a year. I don't hear anyone clamoring for them.

I understand nostalgia. But they can't possibly make this decision on that basis alone... or can they?Hilarious  

I gotta take a break from this. :) 
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 09:11 PM)tms Wrote: If they took Chase for that reason, I would literally give up lol. This is professional sports. I keep harkening back to a pair like Peyton Manning and Marcus Nash. It would have been so nuts had Peyton only wanted to play with him. It's a different context, I guess, but at some point we all need to grow up. Is chemistry really the sole explanation for what they did in 2019? Chase wasn't even their WR1. I would have thought it had more to do with Jefferson, Marshall, Edwards-Helaire, Moss, Orgeron, solid OL, etc. etc. etc. Heck, he played with AJ, Ross and Tate for a year. I don't hear anyone clamoring for them.

I understand nostalgia. But they can't possibly make this decision on that basis alone... or can they?Hilarious  

I gotta take a break from this. :) 

Yes he was. Chase led the team in receiving yards and TD’s. He was Burrow’s favorite weapon that year. Chase averaged 21.2 yards to Jefferson’s 13.9. Chase was clearly the big play guy.

Jefferson did have more receptions, but that would be like saying TJ was the #1 over Chad in 2006 & 2007.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 05:54 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Why would Sewell play G???

Reiff has NFL experience at G and has said he will play RG and is on a 1 year deal. 

Sewell would be the RT then, with Reiff and Spain/XSF at the other spot.

This is the best case scenario for the Bengals.

Sewell gets experience and when Jonah goes on IR again, Sewell can move to LT, Reiff to RT, XSF/Spain then are your guards....

It just makes a better line all in all.

I would personally move Jonah to RT and get Sewell into the fire at LT asap. Either way, I would hope that they did move Reiff due to the length of the contract like you said.
Reply/Quote
The room shouldn't be 50/50.

It should be 1/3;1/3;1/3.

MANY see Pitts as the best player in the draft that is not a QB, and there should be a contingent promoting him as well.

No matter what, we are going to get a great player if we don't venture from one of those three guys.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 10:36 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: No matter what, we are going to get a great player if we don't venture from one of those three guys.

This I agree with.  If we walk away from round 1 one with someone other than Sewell, Chase, or Pitts, Imma be pissed.  Would prefer not even to trade down at this point, but I definitely don't want to take someone other than these three at 5.
Reply/Quote
Probably about as divided as we are on it, but we dont know for sure. You have these insiders like Wright and Dragon saying its Chase, but they could be smoke screening or just trying to get clicks. The staff may want Pitts over all of them. I know ZT himself went to Florida to see Pitts in person, and we worked with Sewell more than any other team and any other player. Dont think we went that far with Chase on his pro day. But of course Chase just looks like one of those cant miss guys, and Burrow can vouch for him. But does Burrow really want him that bad? The story of Burrow pushing for Chase was debunked. Burrow is a coaches son. He's pretty smart, he probably realizes that most games are won in the trenches. Our OL is nothing but a lot of questions marks outside of the 33 year old Reiff. An injury bug to the OL could ruin Burrow's career for good with the lack of depth we have.
Reply/Quote
Sending out mixed messages would be a big improvement on previous years when they've signposted their moves. To be honest, I think they've got further to go in this regard and they're still too predictable. Part of that means addressing needs better in free agency so as to not leave gaping holes.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 11:29 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Scherger and Wright are saying its Sewell and Chase

I hate to sound so pessimistic, and I don't believe it is a BAD thing, as so many others do, but Tobin is one guy...and then you have Troy, Katie, and Mike (to a much lesser extent these days...) in the room so I think the final decision resides in the family, as Troy and Katie are likely to have the same vote, but I know they listen to Tobin a great deal.  

The "family" has had some old habits die hard...like always wanting bigger, longer DEs...well, Lawson proved to be a pretty good choice despite not having the length of so many.  Same with how they approached the so-called "move TE" but Eifert showed to be a very effective weapon (when healthy).  

I think the draft room will not be as split as many are predicting.  Not that you are implying that, and it might have just been a hypothetical.  I see AJ Green's 104 targets (with only 47 receptions) from a year ago gone and they need someone to take those targets.  It can't be just some athletic scrub but a true #1 and I think Chase will be their selection.  

I know guys like Munoz and a few others have been calling for Sewell, but they haven't scouted him like the Bengals.  He is far from a perfect prospect.  I am not saying Chase is either, but Chase has a history of winning, setting records, and generally being unstoppable.  And he isn't going to get pushed around at the LOS like Ross, either.  He will shove guys in to the dirt.  

If it was a very weak tackle class, I am sure they would be taking Sewell, but there is extensive talent in the draft and the great thing is the Bengals don't have to draft one and start him immediately.  The draft is set up for them perfectly.  If there isn't a top flight talent at OT that can come in and compete for RT or start at RG, then they will have a number of choices at select at OG and have a significant upgrade at that position.  
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 04:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Plus, they already incorporated a bunch of LSU plays into our offense anyway. Iirc they had Burrow pick his 10 favorite.

And the common empty needs a player like Chase to get open/command cushion to provide a quick option.  
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 09:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yes he was. Chase led the team in receiving yards and TD’s. He was Burrow’s favorite weapon that year. Chase averaged 21.2 yards to Jefferson’s 13.9. Chase was clearly the big play guy.

Jefferson did have more receptions, but that would be like saying TJ was the #1 over Chad in 2006 & 2007.

Perfect analogy as TJ was our slot WR, as was Housh.  People seem to think that taking Chase is just one weapon when that one weapon improves the situation for Higgins, Boyd, and Mixon.  The argument that Burrow won't have time unless they take Sewell is tiring because they have already done a lot since the early part of last year.  They were in a lot of those games, but look no further than games where AJ Green was targeted 13 times and had only 3 receptions to realize the importance of Chase.  
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 12:16 PM)Whatever Wrote: I put more stock in the local guys that are more likely to personally talk to sources than the national one's.  Tyler Dragon has backed Wright, saying that they are leaning Chase.

Thing with Schrager is Sewell wasn't even the first T off the board in his previous mock.  Kinda feels like he changes his mocks around to generate clicks/discussion.  He also had NE trading up to 4.  

Leaning, to me, means that they are still not 100% decided.

Hell, I'm not even 100% on it.
Reply/Quote