Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Henry deal enough for Mixon?
(07-20-2020, 08:49 PM)Synric Wrote: Im fine with giving Joe a 3 year 33 to 35mil extension as long as they leave theirselves an early out like the Titans did with Henry.

Mixon is just one year removed from leading the AFC in rushing. He is a dynamic play maker that is dangerous with the ball in his hands those are the kinda guys you pay be it RB, TE, WR.

There is also another thing about Joe Mixon that everyone fails to mention... His Personality. Earlier this offseason I talked about Joe Burrow's Joe Cool personality how its great to have a guy leading the huddle that is always calm and hungry. Joe Mixon is a different type but no less important for a huddle he brings energy and a smile. You can tell Mixon loves to play football he is the ultimate Teammate always one the the first guys to congratulate a play defense or offense. Like Joe Burrow's calm Joe Mixon's enthusiasm is contagious.

I hate players dancing in the end zone because most of the time its some choreographed skit used to mock the opposite team (JuJu Smith-Schuster is the worst), but Joe Mixon seems so genuine when he does it its like a kid when you hand him ice cream. It wouldnt surprise me if he dances reviewing tape or if he started dancing in a Burger King for finding an extra order of onion rings in his bag...

Mixon is a great leader. The last guy we had like that on offense was probably Whit. And Pacman on the other side of the ball.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 09:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mixon is a great leader. The last guy we had like that on offense was probably Whit. And Pacman on the other side of the ball.

Mixon like to hear himself talk.  That is not the same as being a leader.

I really like Mixon, and I want us sign him to an extension.  But real leaders don't lead through twitter and the media.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 10:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Mixon like to hear himself talk.  That is not the same as being a leader.

I really like Mixon, and I want us sign him to an extension.  But real leaders don't lead through twitter and the media.

Good thing that’s not all he does. He leads on the field as well. Been our best player for 2 years now, and I’ve heard teammates single him out as one of the most vocal guys in the room. Which should be commended when some guys probably couldn’t give a shit during a 2-14 season.

I won’t be surprised to see a C on his jersey this season.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 09:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mixon is a great leader. The last guy we had like that on offense was probably Whit.
Whit had a lot of years under his belt and was basically the team spokesman.  He did countless interviews and often spoke for everyone.  And most importantly, he was the team union rep.  This is a big deal.

I really don't understand what correlation there is between Mixon and Whitworth's leadership roles.  What makes Mixon such a "great leader" exactly?

Here was a recent quote, that landed him in hot water and he had to apoligize for, after fans booed during another loss in 2019: 

"At the end of the day, we wanna win, too. If they feel like they can do it better, then come try out."

Marvin actually had to do an interview with Geoff Hobsin about Mixon complaining about not getting the ball enough, and stated he needed to show maturity.  His after Mixon complained about not getting enough carries in the 2nd half in a game we were down 2 scores. 

He was Marvin's quote:

“Everybody wants to be out there all the time. But we’re not going to create a run when we are down by 12 or 15 (points). We’re not going to create it. I saw a ball go on the ground when he received two balls thrown to him, which are the same situation. We got to handle it all the time the correct way, and be strong enough to not be led into questions after the game, which unfortunately he doesn’t know enough about.”

Here was Mixon's:

"Me personally, I feel like I can do way more than [Bell] did. Like I said, I only had seven carries. I can't showcase nothing if I don't get the ball. There's nothing else I can say," Mixon said.

Here's his recent comments on the new CBA after it passed, which the overwhelming majority of his peers voted for:

Coming from a person who has never smoked i can care less. Y’all running from the fact that it ain’t right with this new bs CBA. Focus on im a running back and 17 weeks is no joke.

Here he recently comments on the new mouth shields being used to help protect against Covid:

"Y’all might as well have a pump of santitizers coming out of our uniforms too while y’all at it."  Mixon added "I won't wear it."

These are just what I could find a 2 pages of google results.  I'm not saying any of these are the worst things in the world, or that he's a bad guy.  But what I am saying is he's far from eloquent, and he probably a ways down the list of players you want speaking for the team.

Joe Mixon is pretty damn good NFL player.  And for the most part, he's been a model employee.  But haven't seen anything to suggest he's a leader of men. Just because he wants to do well doesn't make him a great leader.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 10:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Good thing that’s not all he does. He leads on the field as well. Been our best player for 2 years now, and I’ve heard teammates single him out as one of the most vocal guys in the room. Which should be commended when some guys probably couldn’t give a shit during a 2-14 season.

I won’t be surprised to see a C on his jersey this season.

I know lots of very vocal people that are far from great leaders.  

You aren't a great leader until you've actually led a group of people to accomplish something great. When you consistently lead a group of people to performances that fall short of expectations, you're not a great leader.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 01:01 PM)Whatever Wrote: I know lots of very vocal people that are far from great leaders.  

You aren't a great leader until you've actually led a group of people to accomplish something great. When you consistently lead a group of people to performances that fall short of expectations, you're not a great leader.

This. I like Mixon a lot but lets see him lead us to a Playoff victory first before calling him a great leader.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 08:49 PM)Synric Wrote: Im fine with giving Joe a 3 year 33 to 35mil extension as long as they leave theirselves an early out like the Titans did with Henry.

Mixon is just one year removed from leading the AFC in rushing. He is a dynamic play maker that is dangerous with the ball in his hands those are the kinda guys you pay be it RB, TE, WR.

There is also another thing about Joe Mixon that everyone fails to mention... His Personality. Earlier this offseason I talked about Joe Burrow's Joe Cool personality how its great to have a guy leading the huddle that is always calm and hungry. Joe Mixon is a different type but no less important for a huddle he brings energy and a smile. You can tell Mixon loves to play football he is the ultimate Teammate always one the the first guys to congratulate a play defense or offense. Like Joe Burrow's calm Joe Mixon's enthusiasm is contagious.

I hate players dancing in the end zone because most of the time its some choreographed skit used to mock the opposite team (JuJu Smith-Schuster is the worst), but Joe Mixon seems so genuine when he does it its like a kid when you hand him ice cream. It wouldnt surprise me if he dances reviewing tape or if he started dancing in a Burger King for finding an extra order of onion rings in his bag...

Yeah, I like both Joe's for the future, pay the man.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 10:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Mixon like to hear himself talk.  That is not the same as being a leader.

I don't always agree with fretoast.

But when I do, I make sure that the whole thread knows it.  Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Mixon has carried this offense on his back seemingly since he got here and teammates seem to love him and the energy he bring. That's a form of leadership. It's not his fault their is a lack of team success while here. There's been plenty good leaders on bad teams. I'm disappointed in the shot taken at his leadership using that argument.

The social media presence likely isn't a big deal either for everyone under 30. It's that generation and that's just going to be athletes platforms.

Mixon has been great while here, and if there is any doubt of his extension there's no reason to point to leadership. Not with legit arguments to be made about paying rb's, oline making rb or rb making oline, how long is there nfl lifespan, and how prevalent they are in the draft (late if you have the oline).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 07:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: Mixon has carried this offense on his back seemingly since he got here and teammates seem to love him and the energy he bring. That's a form of leadership. It's not his fault their is a lack of team success while here. There's been plenty good leaders on bad teams. I'm disappointed in the shot taken at his leadership using that argument.

The social media presence likely isn't a big deal either for everyone under 30. It's that generation and that's just going to be athletes platforms.

Mixon has been great while here, and if there is any doubt of his extension there's no reason to point to leadership. Not with legit arguments to be made about paying rb's, oline making rb or rb making oline, how long is there nfl lifespan, and how prevalent they are in the draft (late if you have the oline).

Rep.

This entire post is spot on. Especially the social media thing. Stuff like that, combined with his past, and I just honestly feel like some don’t care for the guy (not the player). Whether they preface their posts bashing him with “look I like Mixon but” or not...

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 08:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Rep.

This entire post is spot on. Especially the social media thing. Stuff like that, combined with his past, and I just honestly feel like some don’t care for the guy (not the player). Whether they preface their posts bashing him with “look I like Mixon but” or not...

I don't like some of the comments he makes to the media or posts on social media.  I am not denying that.  But it does not mean I dislike the guy.  It just means that i don't see him as a "leader".

I only consider a very few Bengals good leaders.  It is silly to say I don't like any of the others.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 10:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't like some of the comments he makes to the media or posts on social media.  I am not denying that.  But it does not mean I dislike the guy.  It just means that i don't see him as a "leader".

I only consider a very few Bengals good leaders.  It is silly to say I don't like any of the others.

Well, I DO see Mixon as a current leader of this team. And I’m certainly not alone in that belief.

Outside of his play on the field, Mixon is a leader for the Bengals. Even throughout their 2-14 season in 2019, he was always enthusiastic, pushing himself and others not to give up. Mixon’s energy is infectious to both the fans and his teammates around him. Whether it is a close game or a blowout, he always brings the same passion to the game and that rubs off on the players around him. For a team rebuilding, Mixon’s leadership is invaluable.

https://stripehype.com/2020/03/11/extending-joe-mixon-cases-for-and-against/2/

Pretty much exactly what I was saying up thread. And that writer is even from OSU...see Rascal I don’t hate them. Tongue

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 10:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, I DO see Mixon as a current leader of this team. And I’m certainly not alone in that belief.

Outside of his play on the field, Mixon is a leader for the Bengals. Even throughout their 2-14 season in 2019, he was always enthusiastic, pushing himself and others not to give up. Mixon’s energy is infectious to both the fans and his teammates around him. Whether it is a close game or a blowout, he always brings the same passion to the game and that rubs off on the players around him. For a team rebuilding, Mixon’s leadership is invaluable.

https://stripehype.com/2020/03/11/extending-joe-mixon-cases-for-and-against/2/

Pretty much exactly what I was saying up thread. And that writer is even from OSU...see Rascal I don’t hate them. Tongue

Day-um.  Nico playing the Aaron Burd card.  That guy certainly looks like he has intimate knowledge of the Bengal locker room.

So now I have something in commom with the first US Secretary of the Treasury.  

We both got Aaron Burd.

:giggle:  :giggle:  :giggle:
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 07:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: Mixon has carried this offense on his back seemingly since he got here and teammates seem to love him and the energy he bring. That's a form of leadership. It's not his fault their is a lack of team success while here. There's been plenty good leaders on bad teams. I'm disappointed in the shot taken at his leadership using that argument.

(07-21-2020, 08:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Rep.

I can get pushed around a bit and can change my mind, I get your guy's opinion's on Mixon big time.

He has been our best player on our team arguably the last few years. Gotta agree.

Let's pay the man and build a good O-line around him is definitely my thought as well.

Use Mixon in the passing game more and I think he could be one of the most dynamic players in the NFL.

He is THAT talented.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 11:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Day-um.  Nico playing the Aaron Burd card.  That guy certainly looks like he has intimate knowledge of the Bengal locker room.

We both got Aaron Burd.

Aaron Burr was a stone cold killa...
[Image: 1*Fp9TN0JG4cnbmnmQG7aqBw.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 11:53 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Aaron Burr was a stone cold killa...
[Image: 1*Fp9TN0JG4cnbmnmQG7aqBw.jpeg]

Thought Fred meant Aaron Burr...
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2020, 11:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Day-um.  Nico playing the Aaron Burd card.  That guy certainly looks like he has intimate knowledge of the Bengal locker room.

We both got Aaron Burd.

Do you, Wes, or any other Bengals Board members have “intimate knowledge” of the locker room that makes your opinion any more credible on this matter?

That just happened to be one of the first articles that popped up when I searched Mixon leadership (and was also relevant to this thread). I’m sure I could find plenty more and make a book report if I took the time.

Reply/Quote

We both got Aaron Burd.

Umm that article never mentions the locker room, Fred. It talks about the engery he brings on game day same thing I mentioned in my post. You see it with Mixon on the field and on the sideline.

Would I call this leadership? No but engery and enthusiasm is contagious an that is what Mixon brings to the huddle.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2020, 12:21 AM)Synric Wrote: Umm that article never mentions the locker room, Fred. It talks about the engery he brings on game day same thing I mentioned in my post. You see it with Mixon on the field and on the sideline.

Would I call this leadership? No but engery and enthusiasm is contagious an that is what Mixon brings to the huddle.

I don’t want to get into semantics, but I think we’re on the same page here. Mixon just has something that some of our other star players like AJ and Geno don’t. You need guys like that.

Maybe I shouldn’t have compared him as a leader to someone like Whit just yet, but a Pacman? I think is fair. The passion, and competitive nature is similar there.

Reply/Quote

Joe averaged 3.5 ypc as a rookie and sucked the first half of '19 until they changed the blocking scheme.  1-1/2 years of good play in 3 is not carrying the offense on his back.  He's a system RB.  You don't pay $10+ mil a year for a system RB because if you have to can Zac and company after another terrible campaign and the new HC brings in a new offense, you'll be back to 3 ypc Joe.

It's not a shot at Mixon to say he's not a great leader until he actually accomplishes something as a leader.  Is it a shot at Burrow to say he's not a great QB until he proves he's a great QB?  Plus, the best leader you've got isn't necessarily a good or great leader.  Bodine was our best C for years.  That doesn't mean he was good, just that he was the best the Bengals had.  Plus, different people respond to different kinds of leadership.  Some guys need the rah rah pep rally guys like Mixon. Others need a teacher/mentor.  Some need the drill sergeant.  Some need a confidence boost and others need to be shamed.  

What a truly great leader has is tools to motivate different personality types. They aren't one dimensional.  Joe has shown none of that.  While it's silly to say no great leader has ever played on a bad team, the Bengals have never played up to expectations whole Joe has been a leader, either, and a great leader gets the most out his teammates.
Reply/Quote