87.50%
7 87.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Professor Racist
My feeling are kind of mixed on this one:
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/professor-leaves-racist-note-students-152912088.html

Quote:Tiffany Martínez is a first-generation college student majoring in sociology at Suffolk University in Boston. She is a McNair Fellow, a Dean’s List recipient, and has presented at national conferences all over the U.S.

On the morning of Oct. 27, her professor handed her back a paper she’d written wrote and announced, in front of the entire class, "This is not your language." At the top of the paper were the words, “Please go back and indicate where you cut and paste,” presumably meaning the professor believed Martínez had plagiarized passages. On the second page, the word "hence" was circled, next to the note, "This is not your word." The word "not" was underlined twice.

Martinez responded by writing a blog post critiquing the racial biases apparent in such a judgment, and her disappointment at living in "a society where people like me are not set up to succeed":
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I don't know one way or the other, but this going public with every wrong committed is beyond ridiculous. Go to the dean and get it sorted out.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-02-2016, 01:29 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't know one way or the other, but this going public with every wrong committed is beyond ridiculous.  Go to the dean and get it sorted out.

Agreed.

As to the OP, I don't think so. I took it to mean 'this isn't your word because no one under 50 says "hence"' not 'this isn't your word because [whatever the nationality] doesn't have a synonym for "hence"'. And when you're looking for plagiarism, that's one of the things you look for, word usage or phrases that are out of character.
(11-02-2016, 01:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My feeling are kind of mixed on this one:
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/professor-leaves-racist-note-students-152912088.html

Not enough information here.  If all he said was  "these are not your words," then it does sound like he is flagging plagiarism. The student may not have adequately paraphrased or sourced language the professor recognized as not likely hers.

If he tells stories in class about all the problems Hispanics have with English and otherwise shows bias then maybe. But on the information given that does not look to be the case.
(11-02-2016, 01:29 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't know one way or the other, but this going public with every wrong committed is beyond ridiculous.  Go to the dean and get it sorted out.

From the linked story

"Martínez  has not spoken with the professor since the incident, but has brought it to the attention of the chair of Suffolk University’s sociology department, who has launched an investigation."
No. The language "your words" or "language" isn't inherently a dig at the fact that she's Latina. Could that play a role in the professor thinking she wouldn't write like that? Sure, but I can't say with just this one case and this little information.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-03-2016, 07:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From the linked story

"Martínez  has not spoken with the professor since the incident, but has brought it to the attention of the chair of Suffolk University’s sociology department, who has launched an investigation."

No I know she did, I'm just wondering why that isn't enough.  She went, and they are investigating.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Seems racist....but I have no trust in the Rolling Stones SJW media world
--------------------------------------------------------

(11-02-2016, 02:42 PM)Dill Wrote: Not enough information here.  If all he said was  "these are not your words," then it does sound like he is flagging plagiarism. The student may not have adequately paraphrased or sourced language the professor recognized as not likely hers.

If he tells stories in class about all the problems Hispanics have with English and otherwise shows bias then maybe. But on the information given that does not look to be the case.

Agreed.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Disappointed. Thought it was going to be a thread about this guy:

[Image: Russel%20Johnson%20as%20Roy%20Hinkley%20...essor).jpg]
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.