Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.25 Average
Is the offense missing that true burner at WR?
(09-11-2023, 11:22 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: You prob have noticed that when the bengals lose, people focus on getting another pass catcher.

They ALWAYS ignore the run game that has been a bottom 10 unit since Burrow has been here

It’s honestly fascinating how people think the passing game is the only thing that matters.

We spent a lot of the offseason (and last year) ragging on Mixon, the guy has been total crap outside of that game where he put up pointless Tecmo Bo numbers against the Panthers.  We just got sidetracked by Burrow following being the highest player ever with playing like the crappiest player ever. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:32 AM)jj22 Wrote: no one believes in our play action. They don't fear the run.

I've seen analysis that shows you don't have to have a dominate run game for play action to work. Linebackers are reading and reacting to they're keys regardless of how effective the running game is. I'll be curious what the tape looks like. I went back to watch the punt after Mixons good runs when it was still 3-0. Still make me mad Zac doesn't read the room and realize we are down there and just settle in to run twice from 3rd and 3. But I wanted to say we had TE and WRs in there blocking with the OL not sure if this continued in the game. But that is what I wish we would've done in this game commit to a heavy run game and do some play action looks after having had the receivers and TE block for several plays.
Reply/Quote
Yesterday had nothing to do with the receivers.

Burrow was horrible. Flat out.

This seems to be a theme with him at the start of the season so I'm not to worried about it.

The team will bounce back.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:48 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Yet Watson had no issue going deep with a slick ball

Define deep? The few deep shots that I recall were under thrown, one was a pick.

Also, bengals OL had the worst pass rush win rate yesterday in the entire NFL. Combine that, with the injury/rust, with the weather and it was a recipe for disaster.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:47 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I just noticed no separation from the targets
Yesterday. The routes had no variances.
The middle of the field was never targeted
By Burrow.
And Tyler Boyd looked his age Yesterday
He was never fast to begin with.

Yeah I never understand why this offense doesn’t work the middle of the field with more slants and crossing routes. Most of the time we’re throwing deep or to the sidelines. Seems like a missed opportunity.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:55 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Define deep?  The few deep shots that I recall were under thrown, one was a pick.  

Also, bengals OL had the worst pass rush win rate yesterday in the entire NFL.  Combine that, with the injury/rust, with the weather and it was a recipe for disaster.

Honestly the only decent eye test player to me was OBJ. I turned game off after MoneyMac missed fg, so rest of game I'm not sure.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:54 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Let's be real. As talented as the Bengals
WR room is, it's missing that mercurial burner
That can blow the top off the defense.
I'm talking DeShaun Jackson fast.
Boyd isn't the guy. Tee is built for contested
Catches and red zone leaping ability
Jamar is fast but is like a RB playing WR at times
Ultra fast WRs you don't have to scheme all the time
To get open.
I saw Marquis Goodwin get behind the Bengals
Secondary.his only routes he ran yesterday was to go routes. Which opened up the middle for Njoku and Cooper.

No, I don't think so.

I think it's mainly with how long the OL can block and/or the routes being called for players to run.

Chase - 4.38
Jones - 4.43
Iosivas - 4.43

Boyd and Higgins are 4.5's guys, but they don't need to be blazers.

If you want to see the Bengals deploy Iosivas and/or Jones to add more speed, it will have to be in 4-WR sets, I think.
Probably take Irv Smith off for those, as Bengals will probably need a RB in to block, as this OL did not pass-protect well (yet again).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
A player like that wouldn't be a bad extra option, but Marquise Goodwin gets man handled at the line and is frail. 0/0 yesterday. A Ja'marr clone would really be the ticket.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 01:01 PM)Doin the Shuffle Wrote: A player like that wouldn't be a bad extra option, but Marquise Goodwin gets man handled at the line and is frail. 0/0 yesterday.  A Ja'marr  clone would really be the ticket.

You can't have too much speed on offense. 
The Bengals need another fast WR that can do serious damage YAC. I saw nothing from Charlie Jones in the preseason that showed me game
Breaking speed. Iosivias might be a 4.48
But it takes him time to build up that speed. 
I'd like to see what Shedrick Jackson can offer.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:15 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Opposing defenses have figured out ways to limit our big 3 WR's. And without a solid run game they know we will try what has worked in the past, the pass game. With the way JB played yesterday our big 3 didn't have much of a chance to do anything.

Not buying that...not in the least.

JB wasn't seeing the field well on Sunday.  Rain, rust, whatever.  That's unlike him and will improve.

Actually, Mixon had a decent day.  Why they didn't grind him.  He only had 13 rushes and 4.3 YPC.  The game was close for much of the 1st half and we could have run him and Evans/Williams more.  That would have opened up the slants/screens and go routes.  This had nothing to do with anyone figuring them out.  We always put our best up against their best.  I'll take our trio of WR against any DBs/CBs in the league.  Our WRs are fast, strong and competitive.

Not sure why the Browns front was confusing us, but I still think it's typical early season Burrow rust.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:54 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Let's be real. 

When does this part start?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:15 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Opposing defenses have figured out ways to limit our big 3 WR's. And without a solid run game they know we will try what has worked in the past, the pass game. With the way JB played yesterday our big 3 didn't have much of a chance to do anything.

Which is it?  Are opposing defenses figuring the Bengals out, or did Burrow, along with the rest of the offense just have a shitty day?  (I include the rest of the offense as there was clearly miscommunication with WRs on several plays, and the OL played like they had all just met each other for the first time)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Burrow was WAY inaccurate yesterday and yes the entire offense was completely out of sync. I do think the scheme is getting kinda stale and relies too much on big players winning every matchup. We need more plays / routes designed to get receivers open, to use the middle of the field much more and also to be able to switch to max protect or if needed (like yesterday) go under center and run power out of heavy sets. In other words we need ADAPTABILITY.
Reply/Quote
I'm trying to figure out what it is with Taylor's decision making that causes him to take the ball out of the hands of whoever is being productive. Burrow having an awesome day? Start running at the most inopportune time. Mixon showing some real burst and hitting holes? Well let's stop the run game entirely and rely on the pass game that's been atrocious all day.
Reply/Quote
The league 5 years worth of film
On ZT 11 personel on offense. Defenses get wise and
Catch-up to what you do.
I don't think it's really evolving to point
Where ZT is 2 steps ahead of opposing defenses
Look Shanahan in SF. His offenses evolve every year.
Outside of Jamar where are the speed merchants at?
The Browns just showed the rest of the league
How to negate the Bengals offense.
Man press ...funnel the WRs to the boundaries
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:54 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Let's be real. As talented as the Bengals
WR room is, it's missing that mercurial burner
That can blow the top off the defense.
I'm talking DeShaun Jackson fast.
Boyd isn't the guy. Tee is built for contested
Catches and red zone leaping ability
Jamar is fast but is like a RB playing WR at times
Ultra fast WRs you don't have to scheme all the time
To get open.
I saw Marquis Goodwin get behind the Bengals
Secondary.his only routes he ran yesterday was to go routes. Which opened up the middle for Njoku and Cooper.

We have a guy...who literally caught an out route, stopped short of the sideline...cut back towards the middle of the field...and outran the entire Chiefs defense...and we don't have a burner....

I need a break guys.  See ya after the Baltimore game.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:48 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Yet Watson had no issue going deep with a slick ball

How many deep passes did he complete?

Stop, you consistently make some of the worst threads.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
We have the burner in Chase. Gotta use him right.

[Image: F5wXOxaagAAlcGx?format=jpg&name=medium]

[Image: doc-rivers-shock.gif]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 02:01 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The league 5 years worth of film
On ZT 11 personel on offense. Defenses get wise and
Catch-up to what you do.
I don't think it's really evolving to point
Where ZT is 2 steps ahead of opposing defenses
Look Shanahan in SF. His offenses evolve every year.
Outside of Jamar where are the speed merchants at?
The Browns just showed the rest of the league
How to negate the Bengals offense.
Man press ...funnel the WRs to the boundaries

The Browns have zero speedsters that are any good and still beat us by 3 TDs.  The burner stuff is dumb.  Your take on Zac's stale offensive scheme is dead on.  

Reply/Quote
Ah so the usual preseason thing of 'how can they stop us!' has quickly descended by Week 1 into 'this WR group misses a speed guy'.

Come on man, pretty much every other team in the league kills to have this WR group.
Reply/Quote