Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.25 Average
Is the offense missing that true burner at WR?
(09-11-2023, 11:47 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I just noticed no separation from the targets
Yesterday. The routes had no variances.
The middle of the field was never targeted
By Burrow.
And Tyler Boyd looked his age Yesterday
He was never fast to begin with.

They did a lot of man coverage too.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:22 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: You prob have noticed that when the bengals lose, people focus on getting another pass catcher.

They ALWAYS ignore the run game that has been a bottom 10 unit since Burrow has been here

It’s honestly fascinating how people think the passing game is the only thing that matters.

Mixon is not allowed to be talked about on this forum and his 29th in da league rushing attack last year
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:54 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Let's be real. As talented as the Bengals
WR room is, it's missing that mercurial burner
That can blow the top off the defense.
I'm talking DeShaun Jackson fast.
Boyd isn't the guy. Tee is built for contested
Catches and red zone leaping ability
Jamar is fast but is like a RB playing WR at times
Ultra fast WRs you don't have to scheme all the time
To get open.
I saw Marquis Goodwin get behind the Bengals
Secondary.his only routes he ran yesterday was to go routes. Which opened up the middle for Njoku and Cooper.

Wrong.. Chase is fast... other DBs have commented how fast he is... 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 03:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They did a lot of man coverage too.

they did man since they knew they could get pressure quick.. smart move by the Browns and Burrow i think struggled with pre snap changes 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:15 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Opposing defenses have figured out ways to limit our big 3 WR's. And without a solid run game they know we will try what has worked in the past, the pass game. With the way JB played yesterday our big 3 didn't have much of a chance to do anything.

We simply do not run the ball enough.  When Mixon gets 4+ (13 carries for 56 yards) yards per carry and we don't feed him the ball, that's on the coaches.  It's not like we were way behind and had to throw the ball every play.  We were down 7 points a few minutes into the 3rd quarter.

Cover 2 has a weakness -- you have to run against it.  Dink and dunks also work, mostly in the middle but you HAVE to get the LBs to respect the run so you can play action and throw in behind them.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
From what I saw yesterday the new line wasn't really protecting that great (surprise surprise) - yeah Joe had a pocket but it wasn't that great. That's probably coaching but hopefully rust or just not playing together. The WR's seemed to be covered a lot. That's also probably coaching. And Joe just had a terrible day. Not sure if that is injury related, weather related, rust, the high of just signing the biggest contract in NFL history a few days before, all of the above. And the Browns just seem to have our number.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 06:12 PM)EatonFan Wrote: We simply do not run the ball enough.  When Mixon gets 4+ (13 carries for 56 yards) yards per carry and we don't feed him the ball, that's on the coaches.  It's not like we were way behind and had to throw the ball every play.  We were down 7 points a few minutes into the 3rd quarter.

Cover 2 has a weakness -- you have to run against it.  Dink and dunks also work, mostly in the middle but you HAVE to get the LBs to respect the run so you can play action and throw in behind them.

Yea, Zac Taylors poor and predictable play calling was on full effect yesterday. We only had 2 rushing attempt on 3rd or 4th down the entire game and one attempt came on a 3rd and 15. 

Only 1 rush attempt when we needed 4 or less yards which occurred 8 times. Only converted once in those situations. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:54 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Let's be real. As talented as the Bengals
WR room is, it's missing that mercurial burner
That can blow the top off the defense.
I'm talking DeShaun Jackson fast.
Boyd isn't the guy. Tee is built for contested
Catches and red zone leaping ability
Jamar is fast but is like a RB playing WR at times
Ultra fast WRs you don't have to scheme all the time
To get open.
I saw Marquis Goodwin get behind the Bengals
Secondary.his only routes he ran yesterday was to go routes. Which opened up the middle for Njoku and Cooper.

We have Bo Jax cousin if needed
Reply/Quote
The problem is not the lack of a “burner” wide receiver. The problems with the Bengals’ offense are threefold:

1. Joe Burrow is still injured. He can’t plant and throw.

2. The run game is awful which forces the pass; the Bengals are not built to be one-dimensional.

3. Joe Burrow, even if he was 100% healthy, has no time to throw. The Stains only sacked Joe twice but he was hurried, hit, flushed out of the pocket, and the pocket often collapsed.

If the line gets better the entire offense opens up.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 08:10 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The problem is not the lack of a “burner” wide receiver.  The problems with the Bengals’ offense are threefold:

1. Joe Burrow is still injured. He can’t plant and throw.

2. The run game is awful which forces the pass; the Bengals are not built to be one-dimensional.

3. Joe Burrow, even if he was 100% healthy, has no time to throw.  The Stains only sacked Joe twice but he was hurried, hit, flushed out of the pocket, and the pocket often collapsed.

If the line gets better the entire offense opens up.

They actually ran well...just not enough.

I saw stats that Mixon averages over 4 ypg against the Browns, but something like 13 carries.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 09:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They actually ran well...just not enough.

I saw stats that Mixon averages over 4 ypg against the Browns, but something like 13 carries.

Yep! This.

Also, Rapien and Liscow just dropped their podcast with their detailed offensive analysis. Basically Burrow WAS terrible - even worse than we thought. There were open plays there for three touchdowns where Burrow just was inaccurate (two to Tee). Pass protection had rough spots but not as bad as they initially thought. They also pointed out the lack of running even though the YPC was there. 

Simply put, if Burrow was in his usual accuracy band that entire game develops differently. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 09:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They actually ran well...just not enough.

Evans averaged 6.0 on 2 carries.  The 3 RBs averaged 4.4 yards per carry.  I also thought we ran the ball well, just not enough.

Reply/Quote
No this offense is missing a consistent run game and good play calling.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:10 AM)jj22 Wrote: Unpopular opinion, but Burrow isn't hitting a true burner like D.Jax... If you don't consider Chase a true burner, then note how even he has to slow up for Burrow's deep balls most of the time.

I think he does that on purpose a lot of the time. He even said that a few times. Correct me if I’m wrong but I assume you’re talking about arm strength? If so you’re right that Burrow may not have a Stafford type arm but he doesn’t have a weak arm. He can make the throws he needs to and he’s proven himself accurate enough that you can trust he’s telling the truth when he says he purposely underthrows. Chase is an insanely strong WR who can make a play on an underthrown ball that may be picked off if it’s overthrown. Remember that catch against the Steelers? Burrow led him perfectly and Chase had to stretch Armstrong that shit. Still my favorite Bengals play since Burrow/Chase joined forces.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 11:19 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Miami has 2 very good burners, no other team does.  We have an awesome trio, complaining about the WR group is embarrassing. 30 other teams would trade with us instantly.  This is not a credible take.  It’s like saying who is the awesome 2nd LT on the bench.

Exactly! He wants Chase, Tee, Boyd, and a guy that runs a 4.2 with hands like Cris Carter! Close this post!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
If we need a burner just to stretch the field, can DJ Turner catch? Cool
Reply/Quote
Putting another super fast WR on the field that can stretch the field Vertically adds additional stress to the defense along with Chase.
Look at the WR room. Do defenses have to
Worry about Tyler Boyd beating them deep?
No. Most of Tyler's route tree is between 5 and 15 yards.
Look what the Chiefs had at one time
Hardeman and Hill. 2 blazers. It worked out
For them..
Reply/Quote
You need better protection from the offensive line if you want to add another burner WR.
What use it in having the burner WR run 30 yard sprints if the QB can't get him the ball.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 08:35 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Putting another super fast  WR on the field  that can stretch the field Vertically adds additional stress to the defense along with Chase.
Look at the WR room. Do defenses have to
Worry about Tyler Boyd beating them deep?
No. Most of Tyler's route tree is between 5 and 15 yards.
Look what the Chiefs had at one time
Hardeman and Hill. 2 blazers. It worked out
For them..

Look at the Chiefs last year, won the SB without any good blazers.  This is not Madden.  We have the #1 WR group in the league with a very fast one.  Have your opinion but it is not realistic, and a fan from any other team reading this will think we are not very bright.

Reply/Quote
No one would be having this conversation if Burrow had been his usual self in accuracy terms. Locked on Bengals did their play by play breakdown on offense and Burrow had three TDs where he just was inaccurate.
Reply/Quote