Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Is there a plan, after all ?
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/30/bengals-trade-deadline-fans-complicated/

"But maybe that’s what Taylor has done here — implemented a plan. By all outward-facing measures, the front office has bent over backward to grant his every request, even taking the hit with the Jim Turner hire. Now Dalton is a clipboard holder on the sidelines.

So maybe, just maybe, a coherent vision has now been established. Frustration at the lack of moves because it matches the tired, established pattern is fair — but making a change at head coach, then shoving aside Dalton is a dramatic swerve from the usual".

Have they really ?

Was giving Dalton a shot then moving on to Finley been the plan all along ? Keeping Dolegala when we could obviously use another Olineman or LBer sorta hints at that ?

But why did they not trade Dalton ? Were they trying and just didn't get any offers they deemed good enough ?

Perhaps there is more going on here than it seems on the surface ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They are reaching.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
They didn't trade Dalton because Finley is playing behind the same line and is one play away from being crippled. Dalton is the fall back plan now. He will sign elsewhere next year.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:23 AM)jj22 Wrote: They are reaching.

Most likely

The Bengals having an actual plan is so out of character. 
Reply/Quote
This reminds me of when their "plan" was to try to hire a half done other DCs before finally getting the guy they wanted all along.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:34 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Most likely

The Bengals having an actual plan is so out of character. 

This is an 0-8 team. There was no plan. They were in win now mode.

No way did they plan on being this bad...and switching QB's at the bye.

IF we were 3-5 I doubt they go with Finley. They are in desperation mode.

Plus, when you put Finley in...it's rebuilding. But, they didn't trade for draft picks.

It's just a mess.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:23 AM)jj22 Wrote: They are reaching.

Taylor is utterly in over his head as is his staff. IF we had a good roster, his poor play calling would be magnified.

Nobody wants to believe that the team that they root for is just ineptly managed. Yet...here we are sitting on 28-years without a playoff win. With a record of 0-8.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:19 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/30/bengals-trade-deadline-fans-complicated/

"But maybe that’s what Taylor has done here — implemented a plan. By all outward-facing measures, the front office has bent over backward to grant his every request, even taking the hit with the Jim Turner hire. Now Dalton is a clipboard holder on the sidelines.

So maybe, just maybe, a coherent vision has now been established. Frustration at the lack of moves because it matches the tired, established pattern is fair — but making a change at head coach, then shoving aside Dalton is a dramatic swerve from the usual".

Have they really ?

Was giving Dalton a shot then moving on to Finley been the plan all along ? Keeping Dolegala when we could obviously use another Olineman or LBer sorta hints at that ?

But why did they not trade Dalton ? Were they trying and just didn't get any offers they deemed good enough ?

Perhaps there is more going on here than it seems on the surface ?
I think the issue was timing with regard to the bye week. also keep in mind that Zach Taylor makes relationships with players he's fairly young as a former player himself anyone need to give the vets all the opportunity to turn the corner.

They will get something a value when they trade Dalton during the off-season. they also have to determine if they're going to draft a quarterback in the first round next draft because this opportunity doesn't come around often even for the Bengals. Andy Dalton was never the plan of the future but more of a backstop and mentor.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:43 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think the issue was timing with regard to the bye week. also keep in mind that Zach Taylor makes relationships with players he's fairly young as a former player himself anyone need to give the vets all the opportunity to turn the corner.

They will get something a value when they trade Dalton during the off-season. they also have to determine if they're going to draft a quarterback in the first round next draft because this opportunity doesn't come around often even for the Bengals.  Andy Dalton was never the plan of the future but more of a backstop and mentor.

Yeah...this move is basically pulling the plug on the season to see what you have for next year. But, they didn't trade guys like Eifert and Glenn for picks. Kind of dipping our toe in the prepare for next year water.

It also kind of makes Dalton the scapegoat.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This is an 0-8 team. There was no plan. They were in win now mode.

No way did they plan on being this bad...and switching QB's at the bye.

IF we were 3-5 I doubt they go with Finley. They are in desperation mode.

Plus, when you put Finley in...it's rebuilding. But, they didn't trade for draft picks.

It's just a mess.

Oh I highly doubt they planned on being bad just to get rid of Dalton. Just giving him his final shot. 

Like JJ22 said it's a reach.

If it was a real plan and they intended on going into rebuild mode you'd think they would have moved Dalton, Glenn, maybe Dunlap or somebody to gain as many picks as possible. To the highest bidders. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...this move is basically pulling the plug on the season to see what you have for next year. But, they didn't trade guys like Eifert and Glenn for picks. Kind of dipping our toe in the prepare for next year water.

It also kind of makes Dalton the scapegoat.

Injuries are the scapegoat around here bro.   :andy:

JK, indeed it does.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:50 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I highly doubt they planned on being bad just to get rid of Dalton. Just giving him his final shot. 

Like JJ22 said it's a reach.

If it was a real plan and they intended on going into rebuild mode you'd think they would have moved Dalton, Glenn, maybe Dunlap or somebody to gain as many picks as possible. To the highest bidders. 

The plan was to hire a new coach who would install a more modern offense and have these players produce at a higher level...including Dalton.

They assessed the roster in the offseason and obviously thought it was good enough to win...so they only brought depth guys in. They had some $50 million in cap space. They actually spent money...just not on the right guys.
Reply/Quote
there is no plan front office is like headless chickens at this point.... yes at 0-8 you see what the rookie has... But benching Dalton helps no one.... Especially not us. He should have been traded. Or at the very least the announcement should not have been made on his birthday.

I am about done with this new dey era...
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:53 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Injuries are the scapegoat around here bro.   :andy:

JK, indeed it does.

Well...we play bad teams to end the year. Jets, Steelers, Dolphins, Browns TWICE, and Raiders are decent. IF we had Dalton, we probably win 2-3 of those games.

Now Finley comes in...we get Green back. Glenn plays. We likely win some of those games.

So Dalton is 0-8. Finley goes say 3-5.

That validates to management that we have the right staff in place...and they make minimal changes.
Reply/Quote
There’s a plan: Draft Tua Tagovailoa. That’s the plan.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:57 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: there is no plan  front office is like headless chickens at this point.... yes at 0-8 you see what the rookie has... But benching Dalton helps no one.... Especially not us.   He should have been traded.   Or at the very least the announcement should not have been made on his birthday.

Wow...that's pretty negative from you. But it's definitely justified.

Benching Dalton 3 hours before the trade deadline kind of hurts our chances of trading him. It likely takes weeks to get teams interested and moving in the NFL. This isn't like baseball.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:57 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: there is no plan front office is like headless chickens at this point.... yes at 0-8 you see what the rookie has... But benching Dalton helps no one.... Especially not us. He should have been traded. Or at the very least the announcement should not have been made on his birthday.

I totally get what you’re saying. Like Mike Brown, Zac Taylor only understands the quarterback position. The “birthday benching” was a message from Zac to Andy: “You were Marvin’s guy. Ryan Finley is my guy.”

Although I truly hope Ryan Finley lights up every team he faces, I’m not certain this will happen; not behind the shitty offensive line.
Reply/Quote
Golic and Wingo talking Bengals next
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 10:12 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...we play bad teams to end the year. Jets, Steelers, Dolphins, Browns TWICE, and Raiders are decent. IF we had Dalton, we probably win 2-3 of those games.

Now Finley comes in...we get Green back. Glenn plays. We likely win some of those games.

So Dalton is 0-8. Finley goes say 3-5.

That validates to management that we have the right staff in place...and they make minimal changes.

That's been one of my bigger fears for a couple weeks now. We do the dead cat bounce and win 3 or 4 of the last 5 and MB says "see, we had it right all along".
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 10:23 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's been one of my bigger fears for a couple weeks now. We do the dead cat bounce and win 3 or 4 of the last 5 and MB says "see, we had it right all along".

Honestly...IF we go 2-14 they may view the season as a springboard to the future.

AJ Green was injured. Jonah and Glenn. We lost Boling.

NONE of those had anything to do with the defense being this bad. But, they may look at losing Kirkpatrick and Jackson, etc.

New coaching scheme causing issues.

The disturbing thing is that so many players have regressed. THAT'S what management should be looking at and concerned with. I feel like that will get swept under the run though.
Reply/Quote