Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It’s time we moved from Gio.
(12-13-2020, 08:30 PM)samhain Wrote: I'd keep Gio, although I'd prefer a re-structure.  Here's why: Burrow wants to throw the ball.  A lot.  He wants minimal protection and as many options as possible in the receiving game.  Gio is an excellent receiver and more importantly, is an absolute gem in blitz pickup.  That makes putting the franchise back there with no TE's chipping to help the tackles a bit more tolerable.  

What's more, he's exactly the type of back that you want if you're trying to neutralize the blitz.  We face two teams that blitz a lot and do it well twice a year.  Generally, they murder us with it. Any coach worth his ass when it comes to playcalling would start utilizing bubble screens to keep the pass rush from pinning it's ears back.  Gio can turn the passing game into a run game if the run isn't there.

He's a good soldier and a smart ballplayer.  He has many uses.  it would be a shame to cut our noses off in spite of our faces.

Good post
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again: Gio has rarely been used properly. The only OC that came close to utilizing his full potential was Hue.

Is Gio overpaid when used as a generic 3rd down RB? Yes.

Is Gio a "poor man" Eagles' speed back from the last 15-18 years. Yes.

If we had used him like we should have, he'd be the Bengals' "almost" equivalent of Westbrook, Sproles and McCoy.
Reply/Quote
The board is a funny place. Several weeks ago people were talking about how Gio was better than Mixon and would start on a lot of teams (way false.) Now they want to move on from him. (Probably a more realistic take.)

His best attribute seems to be blitz pickup.

Talk about wasted talent, over the last 5 years...458 yards is his highest rushing output. Then 337 yards is his 2nd best. He's averaging 3.3 ypc this year and 3.2 ypc last year. He's way underutilized in the passing game too for as much as he's out there on 3rd down.

I don't blame him. I blame how he's used.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Trayveon looked serviceable.

Trayveon had a butt fumble
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:04 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: If we’re going to get rid of aging, underperforming vets, then Gio needs the boot too.

You can’t tell me that we couldn’t replace him with some younger talent for cheaper than his salary.

No fumbles till today aside, what is he good for really?

um blitz pickup.... and a locker room leader plus we havent used up a ton of tread on them tires lately.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I like Gio, but our fans have overrated him for years. I think partially because he is so likable (Gio van, does the little things, good teammate etc). The claims that he’s a better all around RB than Mixon were/are ludicrous. We’re sorely missing both Joe’s.

Gio is a very solid RB because he is good (not great) at all the needed skills:  rushing, receiving, blitz pick up.   He is also one of the more well liked and respected guys on the team.  I know he is very good friends with Uzo, who many have written off as another cap casualty. 

Personally, I would like to see these two guys stay.  I feel like they have both gained enough experience and are solid skill set guys.   The kind of players Marv used to call "nuts and bolts" guys.  Maybe they are overpaid a bit.  Before we axe them, I would like to better understand where the cap is going to come out.  I am hearing it could be as much as 190 million, which is only slightly less than today.  

This is going to sound cheesy and I am sure to get hammered for it, but I also see these two guys (Uzo and Gio) as two guys that are never going to be the pissy, negative Nancy's that can destroy a locker room.  I want guys that have a positive attitude.  You might think this is no big deal, but on a young team (and this will be a very young team) it only takes a few assholes to turn a locker room to toxic when things aren't going well.  I am not saying that is the only reason you retain them, but factor in their aforementioned abilities and add that attitude and I am not so quick to dismiss them.  

One of the biggest issues I have with Gio (and Marv did this too!) is the damn predictable nature of how they use him.  Mixon showed he could pickup blitzers yet, one of our most important weapons comes off the field on third down for Gio.  Opposing team KNOWS it is a pass, and defends accordingly.  And Gio always stays in to pass protect, taking another weapon off the field.  

For the love of God, give Gio a SERIES every two or three possessions and stop using Mixon on first and second downs.  Just look at his face when he looks to the sidelines and has to come off the field.  It is like playing with at least one of your top two offensive weapons off the field on the most critical downs!  
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There seems to be a theme here that unless  it’s one of the absolute biggest problems with the team (OL & DL) it shouldn’t be a topic for discussion. I don’t think anyone would claim Gio, or Sample, or Josh Bynes, etc are “the problem” but it’s fair to me to point out they’re players we probably need to move on from/upgrade.

Absolutely.  And I am open to the discussion. But I don't axe Gio and Uzo for the reasons I mentioned earlier.  It won't be a popular decision, but I have seen very little from Atkins for two years now.  You may be able to chalk up this season to fighting through an injury (which makes no sense at this point, other than they have no one else), but he is much more money and contributing much less.  And I REALLY like the guy, but I could see him being released and finishing his career with a couple underwhelming years somewhere like Atlanta, close to his home.  

He is an absolute all-time favorite of mine, but you simply can't tie that much of you cap dollars on a player that barely contributes even if he is a future HOFer.  
Reply/Quote
Apparently, he's an insanely good blocker. But it's hard to believe this is a trait you can't teach to any RB that is interested.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 12:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Apparently, he's an insanely good blocker. But it's hard to believe this is a trait you can't teach to any RB that is interested.

You can teach it, but they have to be willing to stick that hat in there and take on a guy 2 to 3 times your size. You can't coach heart. Some guys can't read where the blitz is coming from either. Experience can help with the latter. I'd like to see them restructure and keep Gio, while bringing in someone that can scheme better to his abilities.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 12:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Apparently, he's an insanely good blocker. But it's hard to believe this is a trait you can't teach to any RB that is interested.

If you could teach it that easily, they would all be insanely good blockers..... 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 04:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: You can teach it, but they have to be willing to stick that hat in there and take on a guy 2 to 3 times your size. You can't coach heart. Some guys can't read where the blitz is coming from either. Experience can help with the latter. I'd like to see them restructure and keep Gio, while bringing in someone that can scheme better to his abilities.

Yep.  They spend their whole life dodging people and then they need to know how to square someone up.  It isn't as easy as it sounds.  
Reply/Quote

Being a good blocker is much more than learning some physical techniques.  The largest part of being a truly good blocker is having a strong desire to assert your physical dominance against another man's personal will to make a play.  Kind of like being a return man, it takes a bit of fearlessness in their psyche to go along with confidence in their abilities.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I was wrong Mr. Stache man. Please, forgive me.

***Drops to knees and weeps****

I'll trim and line up that stache every day for the rest of my life.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 10:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Trayveon had a butt fumble

The worst part is knowing I will always worry about it happening again, lol 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 12:16 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I was wrong Mr. Stache man. Please, forgive me.

Shame on everyone, never disrespect the STACHE!  
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:04 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: If we’re going to get rid of aging, underperforming vets, then Gio needs the boot too.

You can’t tell me that we couldn’t replace him with some younger talent for cheaper than his salary.

No fumbles till today aside, what is he good for really?

This was a silly post when made, and I am glad it aged poorly.

Gio is our best receiving back, best pass protecting back, and best blocking back. And he makes a modest salary. 
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 12:16 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I was wrong Mr. Stache man. Please, forgive me.

no you are not

I love Cincy Fans - OH MY GOSH, GIO IS AWESOME NOW and worth 5M!

Last night changes nothing; he is a waste of money on this team

Lol,   3 wins teams cant have the 7th and 16th highest paid RBs in the league - he still needs to go (2 years too late)
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 01:39 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: This was a silly post when made, and I am glad it aged poorly.

Gio is our best receiving back, best pass protecting back, and best blocking back. And he makes a modest salary. 

Calm down cupcake. 

He had one good game.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 01:39 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: And he makes a modest salary. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Great idea!!.. Lets cut ties with one of the few Men and i say Men because he is the man!! Based on what??
The Fact that he maybe the most humble and Classy Gentleman the team has ever been honored to claim their own and has been a true freaking pro through good times and bad... geez
This organization would be lucky Gio finishes his playing career here and considers a well deserved coaching job with this team
Or lets run pure class outta town ASAP
Then some wonder why a winning culture seems unatainable with the bengals
Reply/Quote