Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Hilarious...people complain about Marvin...but...
This board is hilarious. Is Marvin a great coach? No...but...

This thread isn't meant to defend him...but people fail to recognize that largely the same management team is in place that hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years. Yeah...How many other NFL management teams keep their jobs after 4-5 years of no playoffs???? Well...ours hasn't won a playoff game in 24+ years!!!

The team doesn't sign quality (tier 1 or 2) free agents. They generally don't sign external free agents to more than short deals.

This team uses draft picks to replace players who will cost too much to retain 2-3 years down the road instead of trying to improve the roster during the upcoming season. (Yeah...draft a 1st and 2nd Round Tackle instead of retain Andre Smith? who was like 29-30 years old and still playing well.)

Well...we made it to the playoffs 5 years in a row and didn't win. One has to wonder what the result would have been had we signed a quality free agent or 2.

The team has had a hole at a major position for each of the past 5 years. What if we had signed a Center instead of drafting a 4th Round pick and starting him Year 1??? We don't even generally start 1st Round picks Year 1.

We'll likely change coaches and we should...but I doubt that a new HC is going to succeed with this management team in place.

People always point to the Redskins and say you can't build a great team through free agency...and you can't...but when we had a good roster...adding a quality player or 2 could have put us over the top.
Reply/Quote
Success starts at the top and Brown is just as clueless as Lewis they deserve each other. Thanks for pointing out the fact we not only have a horrible head coach but the owner is also a dope.
Reply/Quote
I mostly agree. I think the way the team handles free agency is atrocious. Like you said, signing one or two quality players could make a HUGE difference. But I'm fairly certain Marvin is the one making these calls. Not long ago, I remember Marvin was given more control and Mikey Boy was taking a step or two back. How much control Marvin has and how much Mikey Boy has actually stepped away I don't know. But I'm positive relieving Marvin of he coaching duties would be very beneficial
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 06:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This board is hilarious. Is Marvin a great coach? No...but...

This thread isn't meant to defend him...but people fail to recognize that largely the same management team is in place that hasn't won a playoff game in 24+ years. Yeah...How many other NFL management teams keep their jobs after 4-5 years of no playoffs???? Well...ours hasn't won a playoff game in 24+ years!!!

The team doesn't sign quality (tier 1 or 2) free agents. They generally don't sign external free agents to more than short deals.

This team uses draft picks to replace players who will cost too much to retain 2-3 years down the road instead of trying to improve the roster during the upcoming season. (Yeah...draft a 1st and 2nd Round Tackle instead of retain Andre Smith? who was like 29-30 years old and still playing well.)

Well...we made it to the playoffs 5 years in a row and didn't win. One has to wonder what the result would have been had we signed a quality free agent or 2.

The team has had a hole at a major position for each of the past 5 years. What if we had signed a Center instead of drafting a 4th Round pick and starting him Year 1??? We don't even generally start 1st Round picks Year 1.

We'll likely change coaches and we should...but I doubt that a new HC is going to succeed with this management team in place.

People always point to the Redskins and say you can't build a great team through free agency...and you can't...but when we had a good roster...adding a quality player or 2 could have put us over the top.

You're talking about firing family members....not EVER happening from Mike Brown.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
First of all, yes Mikey Brown is the common denominator, however, Marvin has a lot of say.

Secondly, you have to draft players to replace those you can't afford to keep. The team could not have kept Marvin Jones, Sanu, Andre Smith and Nelson at the salaries those guys got. The problem is is that the team has made some bad draft picks for those replacements and not then recognized the bad picks and fixed the problem by draft a better replacement. Og and Hunt are monster busts. I know 31 other teams who would have already cut ties with Hunt and who would have Og inactive. Dennard was drafted, but hasn't been healthy enough, so they draft Willie Jackson who then gets hurt.

Thirdly, there's a lot undisciplined play and that is 100% on Marvin Lewis and the players individually.

The last one is what is going to cost Marvin his job.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 06:35 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I mostly agree. I think the way the team handles free agency is atrocious. Like you said, signing one or two quality players could make a HUGE difference. But I'm fairly certain Marvin is the one making these calls. Not long ago, I remember Marvin was given more control and Mikey Boy was taking a step or two back. How much control Marvin has and how much Mikey Boy has actually stepped away I don't know. But I'm positive relieving Marvin of he coaching duties would be very beneficial

When the Bengals had a couple good drafts in a row - Atkins and Dunlap (GREAT picks) and Green (obvious pick) and Dalton...people assumed that Mike Brown had given up the reigns to Katie or Marvin.

I don't know that anyone knows for sure...but normal NFL teams don't have the coach making personnel decisions. That's why you have a GM and scouting department.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 06:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This board is hilarious. Is Marvin a great coach? No...but...

This thread isn't meant to defend him...but people fail to recognize that largely the same management team is in place that hasn't won a playoff game in 24+ years. Yeah...How many other NFL management teams keep their jobs after 4-5 years of no playoffs???? Well...ours hasn't won a playoff game in 24+ years!!!

I read about till i saw "but". 

The two biggest problems with this team. In a very particular order. 

1. Mike Brown
2. Marvin Lewis

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 06:36 PM)BengalChris Wrote: First of all, yes Mikey Brown is the common denominator, however, Marvin has a lot of say.

Secondly, you have to draft players to replace those you can't afford to keep. The team could not have kept Marvin Jones, Sanu, Andre Smith and Nelson at the salaries those guys got. The problem is is that the team has made some bad draft picks for those replacements and not then recognized the bad picks and fixed the problem by draft a better replacement. Og and Hunt are monster busts. I know 31 other teams who would have already cut ties with Hunt and who would have Og inactive. Dennard was drafted, but hasn't been healthy enough, so they draft Willie Jackson who then gets hurt.

Thirdly, there's a lot undisciplined play and that is 100% on Marvin Lewis and the players individually.

The last one is what is going to cost Marvin his job.

They absolutely could have kept Smith and/or Nelson.

The team has some salary cap room right now. Teams like the Steelers and Ravens restructure contract too to keep players. When was the last time the Bengals did that?
Reply/Quote
We have talent, but it's not performing. The OLine has been a major disappointment all year. Until that gets fixed, we're f'ed!
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown owns the team. Mike Brown isn't firing Mike Brown, but Mike Brown did give up some of the decision making to other people, which is as close as you're going to get.
Reply/Quote
He has to be thinking about making a coaching change.
Reply/Quote
We ended the 2nd half with the ball at our own Goal line, with 1 TO and 47 seconds. We are in FG range with 17 seconds left and a TO and folks were typing over top of each other to complain about poor clock management.

WTS, I think Marvin has ran his course here.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 06:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We ended the 2nd half with the ball at our own Goal line, with 1 TO and 47 seconds. We are in FG range with 17 seconds left and a TO and folks were typing over top of each other to complain about poor clock management.

WTS, I think Marvin has ran his course here.

Agreed with it all.

I think that when Jones and Burfict were brought back after the meltdown in last years playoff loss to the Steelers that Marvins days were numbered.
Reply/Quote