Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
It's True: Geno Is The Best Defensive Player In The League
Two memories stand out from the win over the Dolphins.

1. Geno Atkins with his sly smile after rocking Ryan Tannehill’s world.
2. Andy Dalton bear-hugging Geno after the game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:33 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He is probably greatest Bengal ever and since we drafted him he has made our pass rush 1000 times better. Since he has become a full time starter we have 5 seasons of 40 + sacks before that in the Marvin era we had zero.
Since he was drafted he has been our best player it's a shame people do not recognize that.

I love Geno, but Anthony Munoz is the greatest Bengal ever. He’s the GOAT at his position, which happened to be maybe the 2nd most important after QB.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I love Geno, but Anthony Munoz is the greatest Bengal ever. He’s the GOAT at his position, which happened to be maybe the 2nd most important after QB.

When all is said and done you might be able to say the same thing about Geno.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:06 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Thanks for those stats, I don’t see a way that he won’t end up in the HOF.

...and it'll make the media look silly for kinda overlooking him all these years. I get that he's quiet and he's a Bengal, but greatness should be promoted and I don't feel like the NFL/media has done that with Geno.

(10-08-2018, 03:41 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I started watching the NFL back in the late 80’s, I remember thinking that Sapp was the best DT that I’d ever seen. I don’t know if there’s a sack list by position or a position ranking somewhere but Geno has to be way up there. Most of the DLine stat leaders have to be at DE. I don’t think that the Bengals would even need to win a playoff game for Geno to make the hall. It seems like fans, players and even Marvin praise AJ as being great and the best Bengal. I think that Geno is by far the best Bengal. He doesn’t whiff or get beat the way AJ drops balls. Many times Geno has to beat a double team to do what he does. I wish there was a way to track stats that the DE puts up because of the DT. A lot of times it’s the DT doing the work and the DE reaping the praise and awards. Geno is incredible!

I've tried and failed to find such a list. 95% of the sack leaders are DE's and 3-4 OLB's. 

Other than guys like Sapp and John Randle, I don't think many DT's are ahead of Geno in sacks.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 01:36 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...and it'll make the media look silly for kinda overlooking him all these years. I get that he's quiet and he's a Bengal, but greatness should be promoted and I don't feel like the NFL/media has done that with Geno.

I've tried and failed to find such a list. 95% of the sack leaders are DE's and 3-4 OLB's. 

Other than guys like Sapp and John Randle, I don't think many DT's are ahead of Geno in sacks.

I forgot about Randle, I just couldn’t think of many high career sack DT’s. Geno could already be in the top five all time. When you factor in how sizes have changed over time at different positions, Geno may end up being the best Bengal at any position ever.
Reply/Quote
My favorite type of Geno sack has always been the sack the QB with the OG but I'm starting to really like the two handed hit your in the chest and launch you sack a whole lot too. He not only sacks yer ass but he does it with style.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 12:14 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: When all is said and done you might be able to say the same thing about Geno.

Maybe so, but Munoz is one of the 5 best NFL players ever; Geno may end up top 5 at his position, but to go 7 years or whatever and only give up 1 sack, is beyond anything anyone has done before or ever will do every again.

Geno would have to put up 7 years straight of 15 sack performances, to be put in the same category.

Munoz is just an unprecedented player, period; once in a lifetime.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 10:54 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Maybe so, but Munoz is one of the 5 best NFL players ever; Geno may end up top 5 at his position, but to go 7 years or whatever and only give up 1 sack, is beyond anything anyone has done before or ever will do every again.

Geno would have to put up 7 years straight of 15 sack performances, to be put in the same category.

This is just fact. I love Geno and he's a great player, but Munoz was on a different level. In no way is that trying to take away from Geno's talent. People just don't seem to appreciate Munoz's talent enough.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:33 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He is probably greatest Bengal ever and since we drafted him he has made our pass rush 1000 times better. Since he has become a full time starter we have 5 seasons of 40 + sacks before that in the Marvin era we had zero.
Since he was drafted he has been our best player it's a shame people do not recognize that.

Better than Munoz?

Doubtful

But yea, he is up there
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 10:54 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Maybe so, but Munoz is one of the 5 best NFL players ever; Geno may end up top 5 at his position, but to go 7 years or whatever and only give up 1 sack, is beyond anything anyone has done before or ever will do every again.

I look at it differently and without bias. Munoz was obviously awesome, how would he have handled the much bigger DLs of today? There’s no doubt that he would still be very good, guys are way bigger now though!
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 01:02 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I look at it differently and without bias. Munoz was obviously awesome, how would he have handled the much bigger DLs of today? There’s no doubt that he would still be very good, guys are way bigger now though!

A very valid point...

But then you look at Walter Jones, who wasn't much bigger at first (I think he started around 290-295, can't find the article, Munoz was 280) and he is the most legendary recent player, for giving up sacks (well, Whitworth's been better actually lol) and you wonder if he would've been even more dominant, in the 80s.

Its hard to say; its the whole Babe Ruth/Ted Williams argument too.

You can only really stack up competition at that time, as projections and hypothesis for future or past, just can't be done, really.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 01:36 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...and it'll make the media look silly for kinda overlooking him all these years. I get that he's quiet and he's a Bengal, but greatness should be promoted and I don't feel like the NFL/media has done that with Geno.

The official list, on a quick perusal, has Randle, Sapp, Steve McMichael, La'roi Glover, Wayne Martin and Lee Williams ahead of him.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/sacks_career.htm

But at Geno's current pace, he should pass all but Randle with over 100 for his career. 

Here's a list of Gil Brandt's top DTs. There are several on there with unofficial totals greater than Geno's, but he's #12 on the list, one spot ahead of Donald.
http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000816301/gil-brandt's-greatest-nfl-defensive-tackles-of-all-time

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Hopefully Mike Brown learned his lesson that in order to make money(and win), you have to spend money, good thing he paid Atkins and Dunlap.

Enjoy your good decision Mr. Brown, at last.
Reply/Quote

True. Geno is great, and as great as he will end up, he'll never be the best at his position in NFL history. 

Munoz was numero uno. (see what i did there? Big Grin )

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: True. Geno is great, and as great as he will end up, he'll never be the best at his position in NFL history. 

Munoz was numero uno. (see what i did there? Big Grin )

Certo; hai fatto bene Wink
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Certo; hai fatto bene Wink

Did you just call me fat?  Mellow

Big Grin

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 02:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Did you just call me fat?  Mellow

Big Grin
LOL
Reply/Quote

How many Genos have we actually have had though?  Genos are not just growing on trees ready to get picked.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Geno is a stud. Love the way he plays and how he just makes plays, without talking smack.

Muñoz is a GOAT. Yes, we was small compared to today's players, but I suspect if he'd needed to add weight, we would/could have. The story of Paul Brown watching him play at USC and just laughinh at how ridiculously good he was is one of my favorites.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 03:32 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: How many Genos have we actually have had though?  Genos are not just growing on trees ready to get picked.

Absolutely.

Again, Geno will most-likely retire, as a top 5 player at DT.

But Munoz is a top 5 player in NFL history.
Reply/Quote