Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
It's been awhile...
(03-18-2020, 08:31 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think we overpaid Trae Waynes but I realize that we had to.   Our record and Mike Brown's reputation are not great.  Money is the incentive.

(03-18-2020, 08:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's sad that that is the position that the Bengals are currently in.  However, I guess it's refreshing to know that someone with pull in the front office realized that, and decided to improve the team, anyway.

(03-18-2020, 08:49 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Plus I think the fact that we're drafting a franchise QB has allowed others to convince MB to spend money.  Burrow will put people in the seats.

All true, this HAD to happen.

There would be no one in the seats next year that gave a damn if it didn't and Burrow might of actually pulled an Eli 
which I found ridiculous when Stooler fan media pundits were pushing this story initially. The Reader grab is huge.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, this HAD to happen.

There would be no one in the seats next year that gave a damn if it didn't and Burrow might of actually pulled an Eli 
which I found ridiculous when Stooler fan media pundits were pushing this story initially. The Reader grab is huge.

Yes, yes it is.  A young QBs best friend is a defense that can keep giving him the ball back.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, this HAD to happen.

Can we be sure MB is making these decisions? Transitioning to his daughter for some time now. Uncharacteristic for the Bengals. Very.
Reply/Quote
To be honest I don't care if we are "overpaying". We will need to do that for a bit to attract better players until the bad reputation is shed. I remember the Packers making the same decision; they were going to have to overpay some "splash" players in order to change their reputation. And they did with Reggie White and it had the exact effect they desired.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, yes it is.  A young QBs best friend is a defense that can keep giving him the ball back.

It is the truth.

(03-18-2020, 09:12 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Can we be sure MB is making these decisions?  Transitioning to his daughter for some time now.   Uncharacteristic for the Bengals. Very.

I doubt MB is making these decisions from the past.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 04:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Which is surprising considering Jimmy Graham just got a 2 year deal for 16 from the Bears. His stats were almost identical to Eifert’s from last season:

Eifert 43 rec 436 yds 3 TD

Graham 38 rec 447 yds 3 TD

Seems like you could get Eifert A LOT cheaper than that...

There's the benefit of signing him away from a divisional rival.

Also Graham has only missed 7 games in 10 years and 0 games in the last 4 years. You can count on him to be on the field.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 07:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree with them, wish we could of got Schobert but no need to overpay for a LB who is not a great tackler.

Getting Reader, Waynes and Xavier is a decent haul.

Gonna have to get a LB somewhat early though.

Schobert would've helped just because we have nothing right now. But he's nothing special. He would've been a stopgap, and we still would need an upgrade from him at some point.

I'd rather focus on trying to acquire the most talented players we can-  which is why the Reader signing is great. He's actually one of the best  best at his position in the NFL. Schobert was part of a LB corp in Cleveland that was considered the weakness of their team.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 01:29 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...since the Bengals were praised over free agency moves, but CBS listed the Bengals as one of their winners of Day 2 of free agency/tampering period. They pointed out the Bengals finishing rock bottom in rush yards allowed as a reason Reader was a perfect addition. They also approved of the Waynes signing.

The Jaguars were listed as losers, partially due to overpaying Schobert, in the author's view.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2020-winners-and-losers-from-day-2-of-the-legal-tampering-period/

I look forward to getting an A+ rating for our 20202 draft class
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:51 PM)Mobster Wrote: Schobert would've helped just because we have nothing right now. But he's nothing special. He would've been a stopgap, and we still would need an upgrade from him at some point.

I'd rather focus on trying to acquire the most talented players we can-  which is why the Reader signing is great. He's actually one of the best  best at his position in the NFL. Schobert was part of a LB corp in Cleveland that was considered the weakness of their team.

True, no reason to overpay for a stop gap, Reader is not a stop gap, he is a legitimate badazz coming from a great D-line.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:12 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: Can we be sure MB is making these decisions?  Transitioning to his daughter for some time now.   Uncharacteristic for the Bengals. Very.

No matter who is running the day to day, Mike still hast the final say.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 10:08 PM)McC Wrote: No matter who is running the day to day, Mike still has the final say.

Is the old dog learning if this is the case? This doesn't happen very often....
Reply/Quote