Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
It's been awhile...
(03-18-2020, 10:04 AM)Benton Wrote: Hopefully it'll calm down a few people.

Nothing wrong with being critical of the Bengals when they mess it up.  I was hard on them after last year's free agency period.

But the guys who started their whining competitions and the smug "told you so" posts before the first day was even over are an embarrassment to this board.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote: ......Zac Taylor, sitting at home in his sock feet, reading this board and looking at all the posters who called him a failure after his 1st season and saying "Who's your Daddy now?"

Yeah. I'll let the jury stay out on that one until he actually wins more than 2 games this season. Its a nice start right now but i've been fooled by this team before.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 10:22 AM)R3stangs Wrote: Yeah. I'll let the jury stay out on that one until he actually wins more than 2 games this season. Its a nice start right now but i've been fooled by this team before.

Can you give me an example of what you mean? I kid, I kid...   Sarcasm
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote: ......Zac Taylor, sitting at home in his sock feet, reading this board and looking at all the posters who called him a failure after his 1st season and saying "Who's your Daddy now?"

He still has a winning percentage only slightly better than the Washington Generals. Let’s not crown him just yet.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 10:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Nothing wrong with being critical of the Bengals when they mess it up.  I was hard on them after last year's free agency period.

But the guys who started their whining competitions and the smug "told you so" posts before the first day was even over are an embarrassment to this board.
I was thinking more about the media praise of the reader move, which some people were critical of.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:26 AM)bengaloo Wrote: I like the approach they are taking. Going right at the run defense with real upgrades. That is how to compete in the AFCN. Neither Jackson or Kirkpatrick are very good in run support. Now we finally have a CB who is. This could prove to be a big difference on the field. Also Waynes best stats are on 3rd down, which is another one of our weakest areas on D. We all wanted LB, but honestly the bigger contracts are better served at DT and CB. They pretty much stuck with the old proven formula and I like it. No matter how bad I want a LB and we need one, I'm glad they didnt panic into overpaying for one now. That money is better invested in the middle of your DL. Reader is a better overall player than Schobert. Glad they went after Joe, but it was smart not to match Jacksonville and put that money in Reader.

Was totally shocked by the whole thing btw. When Schobert signed I was like, daaaaaaaaaaang we are screwed, and then pow. Wth did they put in Mike Browns coffee lol.

I think you make a great point, that so many has just glossed over, Waynes is great at run support! I can still see the image of Kirkpatrick diving at Hunt's legs in the KC game 2 seasons ago and totally whiffing! That is just 1 of many examples...
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 10:32 AM)Benton Wrote: I was thinking more about the media praise of the reader move, which some people were critical of.

Sorry to be so hyper-sensative, but recently I have been attacked and accused of being a troll just for posting facts or stats (not just opinion) that are positive for the Bengals.

Can't help but feel good when those whiners look silly.
Reply/Quote

Not at me! I’ve been saying his first year was a do over since he had coaching vacancies going into the combine. He had a Marvin Lewis team which wasn’t very good. This year is when Taylor gets graded on all aspects of coaching.

Redmond, Tupu, Wilson signed to 1 year deals, Webb released in minor news.
Reply/Quote
Did the media finally get to Mike? Does he actually have pride? Or does he just want to win and making the necessary adjustments to accomplish that? This is great to see as a fan since 1988..
Reply/Quote
I really undervalued the DJ Reader signing. Given past usage of NT for years, I didn't think Reader would make that big of a difference, especially compared to Billings, who was one of the better players on the team last year.

I'm hoping this acquisition signifies that NT will play a bigger role than in the past, and I'm now trying to be more optimistic after "sleeping on it."
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 10:04 AM)Benton Wrote: Hopefully it'll calm down a few people.

You know better than that....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
We are certainly the envy of Texans fans.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 11:58 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We are certainly the envy of Texans fans.

They’re having a rough couple days. Next BOB will trade Watt for a punter and a 4th round pick...

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 11:58 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We are certainly the envy of Texans fans.

This seems like a piss poor time to be a Texans fan.  The Emperor has no clothes.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 10:50 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: Not at me!  I’ve been saying his first year was a do over since he had coaching vacancies going into the combine. He had a Marvin Lewis team which wasn’t very good. This year is when Taylor gets graded on all aspects of coaching.

Redmond, Tupu, Wilson signed to 1 year deals, Webb released in minor news.

Yep, I have thought all along he will develop into a great coach. He just has to get his feet under him, get his own team, and give the play calling to the OC until he gets more experience. He held the locker room through last years debacle, which is the sign of a leader.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 01:29 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...since the Bengals were praised over free agency moves, but CBS listed the Bengals as one of their winners of Day 2 of free agency/tampering period. They pointed out the Bengals finishing rock bottom in rush yards allowed as a reason Reader was a perfect addition. They also approved of the Waynes signing.

The Jaguars were listed as losers, partially due to overpaying Schobert, in the author's view.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2020-winners-and-losers-from-day-2-of-the-legal-tampering-period/

I agree with them, wish we could of got Schobert but no need to overpay for a LB who is not a great tackler.

Getting Reader, Waynes and Xavier is a decent haul.

Gonna have to get a LB somewhat early though.
Reply/Quote
I'm happy with what the Bengals have done in free agency, thus far. They went "whole hog" on a couple of defenders that fit with what they are wanting to do, thus freeing up the draft to go after other positions of need.

Some may dog on the Guard that they brought in, because he wasn't a splash name guy. However, he's experienced and fits the blocking scheme that the Bengals want to run behind. Even a modest upgrade is still an upgrade to the roster. Besides, I'm not convinced that they won't be taking an OL in the first half of the draft.

I also feel like the team isn't done yet, and they will come up with a surprise or two, before all of the quality players have been exhausted.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think we overpaid Trae Waynes but I realize that we had to. Our record and Mike Brown's reputation are not great. Money is the incentive.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 08:31 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I think we overpaid Trae Waynes but I realize that we had to.   Our record and Mike Brown's reputation are not great.  Money is the incentive.

It's sad that that is the position that the Bengals are currently in.  However, I guess it's refreshing to know that someone with pull in the front office realized that, and decided to improve the team, anyway.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 08:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's sad that that is the position that the Bengals are currently in.  However, I guess it's refreshing to know that someone with pull in the front office realized that, and decided to improve the team, anyway.

Plus I think the fact that we're drafting a franchise QB has allowed others to convince MB to spend money.  Burrow will put people in the seats.
Reply/Quote