Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
It's been talked about, but I am still just amazed...
(03-22-2022, 01:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: At what Lou Anarumo and his gang did to the Chiefs in the 2nd half of the game..... twice!!! I really can't wait to see what the addition of Ossai and hopefully one of the best DB or DT in the draft gives him. And I hope we can pick LarryO back up on the cheap with the knowledge he'll start the season on IR to let him fully heal. Get him in there with fresh legs for the second half of the season and playoffs.

Im with you ...I still am so damn impressed on how Lou figured out how to halt that KC Offense. It will be the blue print going forward for dealing with Mahomes an company .
I would love to see us draft a top DL, somehow get Larry O back and of of course obtain a top CB (X Howard in Miami  once again bubbling up as a trade possibilty due to the Hill trade)
Reply/Quote
Gotta give credit - Lou's defense exposed Mahomes. By showing one thing pre snap then doing something completely other they forced Mahomes to read and diagnose post snap, which slowed everything down. I expect we will see other defenses try to do the same thing to KC this season - lots of trickery pre snap to force Mahomes to read and diagnose post snap.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 11:20 AM)Joelist Wrote: Gotta give credit - Lou's defense exposed Mahomes. By showing one thing pre snap then doing something completely other they forced Mahomes to read and diagnose post snap, which slowed everything down. I expect we will see other defenses try to do the same thing to KC this season - lots of trickery pre snap to force Mahomes to read and diagnose post snap.

KC will no doubt adapt to this defensive game plan in 2022
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 11:36 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: KC will no doubt adapt to this defensive game plan in 2022

The adapting will have to be on Mahomes part - he will need to read and diagnose a lot faster than he currently does. 

Also remember that a major reason it worked was he could rush 3 and drop 8 knowing that his 3 would stay disciplined in their rush and that the spy would not commit prematurely. Not all defenses have that kind of self discipline in their players as you see the QB scrambling around in the backfield the temptation to go for the sack is large, but if done prematurely a miss blows contain. 
Reply/Quote
The Chiefs games are what prove to me we belong. Sure winning in Tennessee was impressive enough. Battering the bully boys of the AFCN was impressive enough.

Way bigger though, was absolutely dominating arguably the best team in the league for 60 of the 120 minutes we played against them (add in OT, cant remember how long that was!). The Chiefs were on the brink of their 3rd straight Superbowl, and we dominated them in the second half. At their place. After they'd already played us this year. Not like they're some 'defence first' team either... that offence was lethal.

That 2nd half performance has to be the best half in Bengals history.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 08:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Wow, and in the last 24 hours, the Chiefs lost Tyreek Hill to the....dolphins?  Holy Shit.  

Chiefs already had a suspect defense... I think Raiders might surprise and at +510 to win their division, a fun bet.  

I didn't know Derek Carr and Davonte Adams are best friends and played together at Fresno State.  

I think the Chiefs might end up in the basement this year in that Division. The Broncos with Russell Wilson? The Chargers
adding Khalil Mack and all those Defensive players? The Raiders were a Playoff team that took us to the wire?

The best Division as of right now is the AFC West IMO.

(03-24-2022, 10:37 AM)IcoHolic Wrote: We have a heck of a schedule next year on paper, the continuity of players and coaches will be a big bonus.

Do we get to play the Bills or the Colts? I think these would be some fun teams to match up against.

I haven't looked at the schedule yet as I have been too into Free Agency and looking forward to the Draft.

(03-24-2022, 10:44 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: One of the most important elements of a team elevating to the upper tier of NFL teams is confidence. The Bengals under Taylor’s leadership were like a college student testing out of some hours. It was a quick jump. The confidence level of this team as well as the continuity should pay big dividends

Oh, we have crazy confidence. Still remember being down to the Chiefs in that AFC Championship game and looking at
Zac Taylor all smiling and having fun on the sideline, he knew we were going to come back and win it. Wild.

(03-24-2022, 11:13 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: A lot of people wanted Lou fired. I had mixed feelings about him but I was calling for his head a few times early in his career with the Bengals.  Now I think he's a mastermind. I just hope the Bengals grab a couple corners in the draft

Was on the same boat right with you Psych, calling for Lou's head. I was honestly scared of him leaving to be a HC 
somewhere else after this season until we brought in Bettcher who I think will make a seamless move to DC when Lou
eventually leaves for a HC job. I agree, I think Lou Anarumo is a mastermind on the Defensive side of the ball. 

How he turned this Defense around in 3 years and then in the Playoffs like that was masterful.

I don't think anyone could say otherwise that has watched closely.
Reply/Quote
I know I will get crushed for this, but judging Lou's defense based on just two halves against KC is like judging his defense based on just 2 halves against the Jets. Too be honest I don't really understand what happened in any of those games.

Claiming our scheme gets the credit for stopping Mahommes is just too simplistic. The fact is he played terrible for some reason. Missed a lot of reads he usually makes. If our scheme was the reason we shut him down in the second half of the first game then why didn't we shut him down the first half of the second game?

After the Jets game there was a lot of talk about how the Bengals defense had been "exposed" by a very simple scheme. At the time I did not know exactly what happened in the Jets game. It looked to me like we just forgot how to tackle for an entire game. But I did not think it was the simple scheme that had destroyed our defense. And this was proven true because not even the bets teams in the league were able to abuse us the way a back up QB on a last place team did.

I don't want to say our defense "got lucky" because they played great. But I think it was Kurt Warner who showed a bunch of plays where our defense left guys open and Mahommes made the wrong reads. There were also multiple plays where he could have ran for big gains, but he did not even try. I don't know how to explain it, but it clearly was not as simple as just rushing 3 and dropping 8 in coverage. Instead it was just a case of our defense playing their absolute best while Mahommes played poorly.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 07:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know I will get crushed for this, but judging Lou's defense based on just two halves against KC is like judging his defense based on just 2 halves against the Jets.  Too be honest I don't really understand what happened in any of those games.  

Claiming our scheme gets the credit for stopping Mahommes is just too simplistic.  The fact is he played terrible for some reason.  Missed a lot of reads he usually makes.  If our scheme was the reason we shut him down in the second half of the first game then why didn't we shut him down the first half of the second game?  

After the Jets game there was a lot of talk about how the Bengals defense had been "exposed" by a very simple scheme.  At the time I did not know exactly what happened in the Jets game. It looked to me like we just forgot how to tackle for an entire game.  But I did not think it was the simple scheme that had destroyed our defense.  And this was proven true because not even the bets teams in the league were able to abuse us the way a back up QB on a last place team did.

I don't want to say our defense "got lucky" because they played great.  But I think it was Kurt Warner who showed a bunch of plays where our defense left guys open and Mahommes made the wrong reads.  There were also multiple plays where he could have ran for big gains, but he did not even try.  I don't know how to explain it, but it clearly was not as simple as just rushing 3 and dropping 8 in coverage. Instead it was just a case of our defense playing their absolute best while Mahommes played poorly.
The fact Mahommes played poorly in BOTH games leads me to believe our defense is the reason he played poorly...
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 07:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know I will get crushed for this, but judging Lou's defense based on just two halves against KC is like judging his defense based on just 2 halves against the Jets.  Too be honest I don't really understand what happened in any of those games.  

Claiming our scheme gets the credit for stopping Mahommes is just too simplistic.  The fact is he played terrible for some reason.  Missed a lot of reads he usually makes.  If our scheme was the reason we shut him down in the second half of the first game then why didn't we shut him down the first half of the second game?  

After the Jets game there was a lot of talk about how the Bengals defense had been "exposed" by a very simple scheme.  At the time I did not know exactly what happened in the Jets game. It looked to me like we just forgot how to tackle for an entire game.  But I did not think it was the simple scheme that had destroyed our defense.  And this was proven true because not even the bets teams in the league were able to abuse us the way a back up QB on a last place team did.

I don't want to say our defense "got lucky" because they played great.  But I think it was Kurt Warner who showed a bunch of plays where our defense left guys open and Mahommes made the wrong reads.  There were also multiple plays where he could have ran for big gains, but he did not even try.  I don't know how to explain it, but it clearly was not as simple as just rushing 3 and dropping 8 in coverage. Instead it was just a case of our defense playing their absolute best while Mahommes played poorly.

You are going to get crushed for this. We were spying Mahomes with Hubbard and rushing 3 and getting home. Mahomes is 
best on the run out of the pocket and everyone that watched him knows this. You keep him in the pocket and cover, but this 
was the first time I saw the 3 man rush with a QB spy against him and it proved this to be true. No one ever did it better than
our Defense against Mahomes in the 2nd half of the AFC Championship game, no one ever did it better.

Sure, he might of missed a few guys that might of been open at one point but that was because of confusion and timing.

No need to cut down our Defense as they were the reason for Mahomes struggles.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 08:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are going to get crushed for this. We were spying Mahomes with Hubbard and rushing 3 and getting home. Mahomes is 
best on the run out of the pocket and everyone that watched him knows this. You keep him in the pocket and cover, but this 
was the first time I saw the 3 man rush with a QB spy against him and it proved this to be true. No one ever did it better than
our Defense against Mahomes in the 2nd half of the AFC Championship game, no one ever did it better.

Sure, he might of missed a few guys that might of been open at one point but that was because of confusion and timing.

No need to cut down our Defense as they were the reason for Mahomes struggles.

Shocked Fred missed all that. It was discussed adnauseam by the CBS crew after the game. Discussed thoroughly all that next week on GMF.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 08:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are going to get crushed for this. We were spying Mahomes with Hubbard and rushing 3 and getting home. Mahomes is 

I saw fil break down (I believe it was Kurt Warner) that showed gaping holes Mahommes could have ran through for large gains.  It also showed open receivers that he missed.

Our defense did play great.  But I guarantee you that if we played the Chiefs a full game with that same scheme we would not shut them out again.  Just like the Jets would not pass 400+ yards every time if they had played us more than once last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 09:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I saw fil break down (I believe it was Kurt Warner) that showed gaping holes Mahommes could have ran through for large gains.  It also showed open receivers that he missed.

Our defense did play great.  But I guarantee you that if we played the Chiefs a full game with that same scheme we would not shut them out again.  Just like the Jets would not pass 400+ yards every time if they had played us more than once last year.

Well the first half gives you an opportunity to make changes the second half. Your memory must be failing you. We really shut the KC offense down the second half in both games. So that’s a pattern. Give this team and it’s coaches praise once in awhile. We won’t tell Marvin lol
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 09:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I saw fil break down (I believe it was Kurt Warner) that showed gaping holes Mahommes could have ran through for large gains.  It also showed open receivers that he missed.

If he would of ran Hubbard would of got him.

We did what the Bills D should of done.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 01:45 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: ****

That 2nd half performance has to be the best half in Bengals history.

Imagine being down 18 in Arrowhead with the Super Bowl on the line and coming back and winning. Nah, I can't believe it. That's a movie script.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 10:19 PM)Nepa Wrote: Imagine being down 18 in Arrowhead with the Super Bowl on the line and coming back and winning. Nah, I can't believe it. That's a movie script.

Just wish we could of topped it off, it would of truly been the greatest ride ever...

Oh well, our ride is just starting thank God unlike the Rams. I don't see them getting back there next season.

We will see who we get in the NFC. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 10:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If he would of ran Hubbard would of got him.

This was taking Hubbard into account.

Here is the last I will say on it.  We play the Chiefs this year and I guarantee we won't shut them out just by using that same scheme.  If Mahommes starts running then they better get a more athletic spy than Hubbard.  Someone who would have a chance to catch him in the open field.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 10:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This was taking Hubbard into account.

Here is the last I will say on it.  We play the Chiefs this year and I guarantee we won't shut them out just by using that same scheme.  If Mahommes starts running then they better get a more athletic spy than Hubbard.  Someone who would have a chance to catch him in the open field.

ADG for example? Yeah, they will study up on what we did to him. A nice thing for us is we no longer have the Flash to deal with.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 10:02 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Adams redshirted the only year they were together at Fresno State. They are definitely friends but nowhere close to best friends.

Huh?

In two seasons with Carr at Fresno State, Adams had 1,312 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2012 and followed that a year later with 1,719 yards and 24 touchdowns. Both the receiver and the QB smashed school and Mountain West records.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article259641569.html#storylink=cpy
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 02:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Do we get to play the Bills or the Colts? I think these would be some fun teams to match up against.

Of course, you know our division foes are a home and away....I love that the Bengals play the AFC East this year.  Dolphins might get a lot of offseason pub, but they will not have an easy time against the Bengals defense. Also love that we get them and Buffalo at home.

One game that will surely be a primetime game now that TB12 has returned is the Tampa game.  Brady vs. Burrow.  Too bad that is a road game...could end up being in Germany!  

2022 Season

HOME
  • Atlanta Falcons
  • Baltimore Ravens
  • Buffalo Bills
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Cleveland Browns
  • Kansas City Chiefs
  • Miami Dolphins
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
AWAY
  • Baltimore Ravens
  • Cleveland Browns
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • New England Patriots
  • New Orleans Saints
  • New York Jets
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • Tennessee Titans
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 08:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Huh?

In two seasons with Carr at Fresno State, Adams had 1,312 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2012 and followed that a year later with 1,719 yards and 24 touchdowns. Both the receiver and the QB smashed school and Mountain West records.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article259641569.html#storylink=cpy

I listened to Adams interview and obviously heard him wrong
Reply/Quote