Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's no longer conspiracy - Bengals organization themselves feel disrespected by NFL
(01-06-2023, 04:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Anybody see the movie "Lawless", where the head gangster slams his underling in the back of the head with a shovel and declares, "The last thing I need is a bunch of hard ass crackers pulling a blood feud on me!!!" Yeah, that needs to be Goodell..... JoeyB and the boys are about to go on a blood feud with the league.

Those Bondurants were some bad hombres....in real life.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 04:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think it would get kicked out due to the fact season ticket holders did not pay for those tickets yet, hence they have suffered no financial harm. The city can claim damages from lost tax revenue from players salaries, hotel taxes, food taxes, etc.

An offer was made via the email to the ticket holders that notated they'd host if they won the division. This gets into promissory estoppel, or essentially the damages incurred due to a promise that was made as part of an offer that was changed. The NFL changed the terms of the offer after the fact by making it so a division winner may not in fact get to host. Their damages could be something as simple as hotel rooms that won't be refunded. The point would be as soon as the game was cancelled under current NFL rules the Bengals won the division making the offer they were offered effective and any sort of monetary damages incurred after that were due to an arbitrary decision to change the rules after the fact.

I think the class of fans would have a better shot as well because they can venue shop. The city would have to sue them in Federal court here in the southern district of Ohio where as a fan in California or somewhere with a more sympathetic bench could put the legal challenges in motion and then move to certify it as class action potentially.
Reply/Quote
The disgusting message the NFL just gave was: Your team is playing another team who has a player paralyzed and is fighting for his life, insist on finishing the game. If the team with the injured player doesn't want to play, demand a forfeit.

I was no big fan of Tagliabue, but Goodell is an ass of epic proportions!
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 04:30 PM)Bengalion Wrote: They will never do this. When Hamlin went down the Bills' staff and players expected us to act honorably and help them, but now the dust has settle and getting the best seed they can get is their biggest goal. There's a good chance these two teams face each other in the divisional round, probably at Buffalo. I can't wait to see how the Bills' owner and staff will proceed, there will be a lot of talk about playing that game in a neutral stadium. If they really care about us and what the Bengals organization did to them then they should show some respect and dignity and forfeit the home field advantage. Life is not supposed to be fair anyway... the good guys, the ones trying to help people end up getting screwed sometimes.

That's nice to say, but I don't think it's up to Buffalo. They can't change anything any more than we can.
Reply/Quote
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-changed-rules-on-bengals-just-hours-before-their-last-afc-championship-game-appearance-in-january-1989/
Quote:You'll likely never see the NFL do anything like this ever again

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 06:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-changed-rules-on-bengals-just-hours-before-their-last-afc-championship-game-appearance-in-january-1989/

Never forget......

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 06:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: Never forget......

When you take that last minute rule change, then look at the unfairness of the flags thrown against the Bengals but not the Stoolers in that playoff game, then look at last year's Super Bowl where the refs let them play the whole game then all of a sudden started throwing flags right at the end....... we may just never be allowed to win a Super Bowl ever. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 06:41 PM)Sled21 Wrote: When you take that last minute rule change, then look at the unfairness of the flags thrown against the Bengals but not the Stoolers in that playoff game, then look at last year's Super Bowl where the refs let them play the whole game then all of a sudden started throwing flags right at the end....... we may just never be allowed to win a Super Bowl ever. 

I'd be lying if I said the thought never crossed my mind..... ESPECIALLY when I learned about what happened in 89 years after the fact. 

Reply/Quote