Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's time to make the move official
(12-14-2018, 02:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: So are we thinking Boling hasn't been a good LT? Or what's the cons of keeping him there and giving him an offseason to fully immerse himself into he position?

I'm thinking why waste time hoping Glenn works out or gambling on another draft pick if Boling has proven the last two seasons the offense runs better with him there?

I'm feeling like maybe the cure to the LT woes is right under our nose.
If you tell Boling you are our new starting LT and Boling is a FA so we must sign him back as a starting LT which is much more expensive then a LG. With only a few games under his belt at the LT spot what like 4 games? How great was these pass rushers that Boling faced in these 4 games. Compare that to Glenn playing years at that spot facing much better pass rushers many more times.
Reply/Quote
Boling will probably play any line position well, but I'd like to see him have some say in where he plays. I'd rather not see the Bengals pizz off a player of his caliber. The line would be in a world of hurt without him. Instead of Boling covering the o-line's collective azz, the real solution is to find competent players to compliment him. Remember, just a few short years ago, there was only one weak link in the line.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 11:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Glenn only counts $9.25 mill against the cap the next two years but no dead cap if cut. That’s not a large cap hit for OL nowadays if Glenn could be repurposed elsewhere on the line.

I’d be inclined to keep Glenn and move him to another spot...perhaps RG. Have Boling at LT, Westerman LG. Re-sign Smith to be RT and then draft a pick to groom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definately agree with JJ22's premise of keeping Boling at LT but don't want to cut Glenn yet.

I am with Ocho on this one...

Boling - LT
Westerman - LG
Price - C
Glenn - RG - draft young talent to groom
Andre - RT - draft young talent to groom
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 03:22 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: If you tell Boling you are our new starting LT and Boling is a FA so we must sign him back as a starting LT which is much more expensive then a LG. With only a few games under his belt at the LT spot what like 4 games? How great was these pass rushers that Boling faced in these 4 games. Compare that to Glenn playing years at that spot facing much better pass rushers many more times.

According to this, https://overthecap.com/player/clint-boling/171/ , Clint Boling has another year on his current deal, which will pay him around 5M for 2019.  That would them a full season to determine if he's worth paying a Tackle contract to.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 04:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to this, https://overthecap.com/player/clint-boling/171/ , Clint Boling has another year on his current deal, which will pay him around 5M for 2019.  That would them a full season to determine if he's worth paying a Tackle contract to.

Sounds like a great plan to me and Boling has blocked well against some good pass rushers in his few starts

The Chargers pass rushers are pretty damn good and Terrell Suggs is still a monster and Boling blocked him well last year.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 04:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds like a great plan to me and Boling has blocked well against some good pass rushers in his few starts

The Chargers pass rushers are pretty damn good and Terrell Suggs is still a monster and Boling blocked him well last year.

Seriously, if Clint wanted to play LT for a few years, I would have no problem with the Bengals giving him a shot at the starting role, and paying him well for it.  This is his 8th season, he might have what, 2-5 good years left in him?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I was against looking at Boling as a tackle last off season but he has played well every time he gets a shot at Left Tackle. I'm looking forward to him finishing the there and see what happens going into the off season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 04:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seriously, if Clint wanted to play LT for a few years, I would have no problem with the Bengals giving him a shot at the starting role, and paying him well for it.  This is his 8th season, he might have what, 2-5 good years left in him?

Should have atleast a few years barring injuries and he seems to stay in good shape and relatively healthy.

When a player plays well you pay the man and if he is the player most deserving for that dough so be it.

LT has been a hole for years now and Glenn seems too fat and slow to handle speed rushers and is not as aggressive
in the running game as i was expecting. Should of had a lot more pancakes this year when he peeled to the outside.

Think Glenn would be better on the right side at Guard next to Andre who i think might be the best RT for us now
until we get a young player to take over once he is groomed to do so.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 01:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Glenn has shown to not be worth his contract value.  I seriously doubt that many other teams would be willing to pay him that money, for what he's demonstrated on the field this season.  If I were the GM of the Bengals, I would cut Glenn, and make him a more realistic offer in the 3-4M/per range, with incentives written in to bump it up, should he achieve certain levels.

Says here, https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/left-tackle/ , that Glenn is the 6th highest contract for LT in the entire NFL.  Personally, I don't think he's top 20 material, let alone 6th best paid.

Let's be honest, it the Bengals cut him because he's making too much, there's very likely no way he comes back for a cheaper deal.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 04:35 PM)Synric Wrote: I was against looking at Boling as a tackle last off season but he has played well every time he gets a shot at Left Tackle. I'm looking forward to him finishing the there and see what happens going into the off season.
Glenn just came off injury list he might play this week.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 04:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to this, https://overthecap.com/player/clint-boling/171/ , Clint Boling has another year on his current deal, which will pay him around 5M for 2019.  That would them a full season to determine if he's worth paying a Tackle contract to.
In that case I am ok with it but really test the guy before you give him  LT money. But I still like Glenn he is making like 9  mil that is not breaking the bank. I would rather not get rid of him and create another hole we got enough of them on the Oline shuffle these guys around till we find the best 5.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 04:54 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: In that case I am ok with it but really test the guy before you give him  LT money. But I still like Glenn he is making like 9  mil that is not breaking the bank. I would rather not get rid of him and create another hole we got enough of them on the Oline shuffle these guys around till we find the best 5.

What part of paying Glenn $9 million a year do you like? That's the 6th highest paid Tackle in the NFL.

IF we could waive him with no cap hit...we could likely go out and sign a player that actually plays like a Top 10 Tackle.

You act like $9 million a year is a value. ONLY 5 guys are paid higher.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 05:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What part of paying Glenn $9 million a year do you like? That's the 6th highest paid Tackle in the NFL.

IF we could waive him with no cap hit...we could likely go out and sign a player that actually plays like a Top 10 Tackle.

Point is we have seen Glenn have success multiple years in the NFL at LT. Writing him off after one season when the entire team is struggling seems foolish. Especially when he is the only tackle under contract going into the offseason.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 05:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What part of paying Glenn $9 million a year do you like? That's the 6th highest paid Tackle in the NFL.

And how many top 10 tackles are willing to come to the Bengals after 3 losing seasons in a row. If Glenn is healthy he is worth the money isn't that the same amount of money we paid M Johnson this year?
Reply/Quote
So we are paying Glenn for his past performance (Bills years) and not his current and future one? Is that good business?

Glenn isn't home grown, and we should only consider what he brings to the team currently and not his play from 3 years ago.

We'll see if folks are calling for Driskel to start when Glenn is back protecting him. That'll be the test.

Even the bum Dalton looked good (without AJ mind you Bong) when Boling was his blind side protector at the end of last season against Detroit and Baltimore.

Edit: As rightfully corrected by Bong, maybe that was 2016.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 05:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Point is we have seen Glenn have success multiple years in the NFL at LT. Writing him off after one season when the entire team is struggling seems foolish. Especially when he is the only tackle under contract going into the offseason.

Well fine, keep him on until they find a better player in free agency, then cut his ass.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 04:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Should have atleast a few years barring injuries and he seems to stay in good shape and relatively healthy.

When a player plays well you pay the man and if he is the player most deserving for that dough so be it.

LT has been a hole for years now and Glenn seems too fat and slow to handle speed rushers and is not as aggressive
in the running game as i was expecting. Should of had a lot more pancakes this year when he peeled to the outside.

Think Glenn would be better on the right side at Guard next to Andre who i think might be the best RT for us now
until we get a young player to take over once he is groomed to do so.

I can't get on board with shifting Glenn to the Right side of the OL, at all.  If he's ineffective at run blocking as a LT, those deficiencies will only get magnified by putting him on the Right side.  And, as for putting him at RG?  Do you really want him going one on one with all of the awesome 3 technique DTs in the league?  I know that I don't want to see that happen.

Cordy Glenn did what the Bengals needed him to, be a high-priced emergency LT.  It's sad that he never regained form from his injuries, etc., but there is no use in continuing to dish out the 6th highest OT money to a guy that barely rates as a starter compared to his contemporaries.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 06:08 PM)jj22 Wrote: So we are paying Glenn for his past performance (Bills years) and not his current and future one? Is that good business?

Glenn isn't home grown, and we should only consider what he brings to the team currently and not his play from 3 years ago.

We'll see if folks are calling for Driskel to start when Glenn is back protecting him. That'll be the test.  

Even the bum Dalton looked good (without AJ mind you Bong) when Boling was his blind side protector at the end of last season against Detroit and Baltimore.

Edit: As rightfully corrected by Bong, maybe that was 2016.
It was last year that Boling played left tackle in the Detroit and Baltimore games it was two years ago that Core had a decent game. Boyd had the big game winning TD against Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 05:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What part of paying Glenn $9 million a year do you like? That's the 6th highest paid Tackle in the NFL.

There is know one we could sign in free agency as good as Glenn. Plus you do understand even if there was a guy out there he would cost more than 9 million.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
This illuminates the sad state of the Bengal's O-Line. Talks about cutting Glenn, would leave 3 spots that need upgrade and if Price doesn't show something next year, 4 positions.

Too many holes to fill in the next two drafts and the team has strong needs at TE and linebacker.

And if anyone thinks the team will bring in a quality FA is mistaken. The team historical has missed on FA signings of good players.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote