Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It will happen!
(10-06-2017, 04:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Bengals are the only team i really care about.

I cannot root for teams that are highly favored. I liked the Pistons when they had Billups, Rasheed Wallace, Prince, Ben etc.

But have given up on the NBA, always been a Portland Trailblazer fan since Drexler and the good old days.

Went to a Jazz playoff game and liked them when they had Derron Williams. The NBA has went to shit though IMHO.

Wanted to be a pro Basketball player when i was a kid too, loved the game and was pretty damn good at it, sucks.

Can never root for a Pittsburgh team, ever, especially one that wears the piss yellow and black. Shocked

Or an LA or New York team. I like the Flyers i guess in NHL, Reds or Rangers in the MLB, Michigan Wolverines in college.

Never liked Ohio State to be honest lol

I think thats why this one is so special to me.

I follow the Thunder in the NBA. I don't like the idea of needing 3 or 4 superstars to win a championship these days, so that's taken some of the enjoyment out of it for me. I used to like it when each team had their one or two stars, and it came down to roster depth or coaching, or your star making a big play. Now it's just sitting and watching respectable teams like Utah or Portland get flogged because they don't have 6 all stars. It annoys me. So I don't think an OKC championship would mean a hell of a lot to me.

I support Chelsea in the EPL but not religiously, so I haven't really celebrated their titles. 

This might be a weird question, but would you rather see your college team win a national championship, or your NFL team win a Super Bowl?

I know a lot of guys on here are Ohio State fans because of the region, so you've already seen a few. 

When it comes to supporting a college team, do you support the college you grew up near (Ohio State for a lot of you I'm assuming), or do you follow the college you attended, or the college that you live closest to now? I've always wondered.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2017, 12:01 AM)ben_lewtas9 Wrote: Hey guys!

This is my first time posting a thread, but I thought I'd just share something special from the weekend.

I'm from Australia, and on Saturday, my Richmond Tigers won the AFL Grand Final. It's been 37 years since we last won one and I haven't really slept much over the weekend so excuse my poor grammar  Yawn. I'm only 22 so I wasn't alive when we last won a flag (Grand Final), so this has been a pretty special weekend for me and my family.

Anyway, my point is this:

It will happen for us. I promise you all, it will happen. There will be a day where we all sit in these boards and laugh and joke and it will be the greatest day of your lives. You'll talk about the players like they're your own children, or your own brothers.

There are a couple of similarities between the Bengals and the Tigers (Starting with the name)
- Richmond made the finals 4 years in a row and lost in the first round
- Didn't make the finals in 2016, finished 13th out of 18 teams.
- Talented first 5 or 6 players but needed middle-tier guys to stand up.
- Same 4 or 5 teams have played in the last 6 or so Grand Finals, so we were out of the loop.
- Questioned leadership and hunger of captain (Dalton-like)
- Completely different game plan brought in by new Assistant Coach (same head coach, but he was almost sacked)
- Removal of a few cancerous locker-room characters (But keep guys who love the group and want to be there)

I know you're probably thinking "Shut up kid, you've only been a Bengals fan for 8 years, what would you know about Cincinnati"... But I can tell you that I know the pain because I've felt it across 3 sporting teams, but the success is all worth it. Do not give up on them, and it'll be the best decision you've ever made  :andy:

Pretend I said this 31 years ago.

That would have been 8 years into my fanship of the Bengals. 

I'm still waiting... Mellow

Big Grin

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2017, 12:49 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: The only thing that gives me hope of a bengal super bowl in my lifetime is the fact that mike brown will most likely die before I do.

At least he would normally, but in reality our money and misery as Bengals fans feeds him, giving him eternal life. He will still be Owner/President/GM while your grandchildren's grandchildren are hoping for a Bengals playoff win.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 07:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The good old days... The Glove and The Rain Man

Still remember Kemp swatting Clyde the Glydes sure dunk into the stands...

Loved the Sonics myself. Not a "fan" per se, but enjoyed watching Payton/Kemp and miss that team being in the NBA.

The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2017, 01:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:
I have pictures of me as a baby wearing Steelers gear
. My family is huge Steelers fans. I remember those Dodgers.

I used to be like the other Homers on this board through the 90's and maybe early 2000's. I'd be on message boards talking about how the Bengals drafts were bad luck. Injuries, etc. How they had talent and were underperforming. How they'd turn it around. I was an endless optimist.

Now I just see them as woefully mismanaged. It lowered my stress. Over the years people turned on Pickens, Dillon, Spikes, Palmer. Now they're turning on Marvin Lewis. While I don't think he is a great coach...ultimately ownership allowed him to go 0-7 in the playoffs and stay. Not spending in free agency. Letting guys walk and stating we do it for comp picks. Teams that want to win a championship just aren't managed this way.

I am reporting it. This is abuse.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
re: Our time will come - We have been an NFL Team for 50 years and won 5 playoff games in our entire history.

Granted we have played in 2 Super Bowls so people think we had a lot of success before MB took over...but we really haven't.

We've won atleast 1 playoff game in 3 out of 50 seasons. 1981, 1988, and 1990.

In 1981 and 1990 we won 2 playoff games.

We're 5-14 in the playoffs. So you can deduce that we've made the playoffs 14 times in 50 years also.

There were never 'glory days' for this franchise.

This site uses a formula to calculate expected points and in our playoff losses we've been way under what was expected. Meaning we've underperformed or choked. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/playoffs.htm
Reply/Quote
On that last post, I hate to quibble but in 1990 the Bengals beat the Houston Oilers (for their most "recent" playoff win) and then went to L.A. where Bo Jackson ran all over them and it was a 37-7 score or something like that. So, only one playoff win that year.
Reply/Quote