Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"It"

Looks decent enough. I fear though that the lack of Tim Curry playing Pennywise the Clown will harm this movie and I hope the guy playing Pennywise is just as good. Tim Curry was what made the one from the 90's good.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 04:57 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote:

Looks decent enough. I fear though that the lack of Tim Curry playing Pennywise the Clown will harm this movie and I hope the guy playing Pennywise is just as good. Tim Curry was what made the one from the 90's good.

You beat me to it!  I was literally just getting ready to post this. 

Love, love, love the book.  Pry my most favorite book of Stephen King's.    I don't think I'm going to be able to get the wife to go with me to the theater on this one though.....her being 7-8 months preggers and all at the release time.  I'll have to go by myself. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Im typically not the biggest fan of reboots, but based on this trailer I think this one has a good chance of being done right. The kid actors looked pretty legit, as I know the one is who is in Stranger Things. Now I havent read the book, though I may have to before this comes out. But from what I heard from those that have the first movie lacked the same scary element that was in the book, except for the few scenes with Tim Curry as he was great in it. But I am guessing that is because it was a made for tv show.

Also I hope Tim Curry can make some sort of a cameo. I dont know how he is doing these days, but he had a stroke a few years back and was wheelchair bound from it.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 02:37 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Im typically not the biggest fan of reboots, but based on this trailer I think this one has a good chance of being done right. The kid actors looked pretty legit, as I know the one is who is in Stranger Things. Now I havent read the book, though I may have to before this comes out. But from what I heard from those that have the first movie lacked the same scary element that was in the book, except for the few scenes with Tim Curry as he was great in it. But I am guessing that is because it was a made for tv show.

Also I hope Tim Curry can make some sort of a cameo. I dont know how he is doing these days, but he had a stroke a few years back and was wheelchair bound from it.

Yeah, I remember watching the original and even as a kid it wasn't scary. Loved Tim Curry as Pennywise and he made it worth watching (and rewatching), but the movie itself wasn't very engaging. A big part of that was probably just the effects of the time and — as you mentioned — having to soften some of the scarier/intense moments for network TV.

The book, as most King books go, is great.
Reply/Quote
This is from the IMDb website.

Although Bill Skarsgård was onset for the majority of production, he didn't actually begin filming his scenes until shooting was over halfway done. The time before he actually started filming was spent working with Andrés Muschietti and the producers in order to perfect his mannerisms as Pennywise, as Skarsgård stated that he felt an immense amount of pressure to play the role perfectly due to Tim Curry's well-regarded performance in It (1990). 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I loved the first one as a kid, clowns scare the shit out of me!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 05:41 PM)magikod Wrote: I loved the first one as a kid, clowns scare the shit out of me!

[Image: med_1411058234_1398728739_00056.jpg]
Yeah, clowns suck, but man...some can make a big mac...so i'm torn.

I do like the idea of 'IT' being re-made. I did like Tim Curry, but it wasn't scary. This looks to be scary, and I'm in to it for that aspect of it. 

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 12:25 AM)CINwillWIN Wrote: [Image: med_1411058234_1398728739_00056.jpg]
Yeah, clowns suck, but man...some can make a big mac...so i'm torn.

I do like the idea of 'IT' being re-made. I did like Tim Curry, but it wasn't scary. This looks to be scary, and I'm in to it for that aspect of it. 

I want a big mac now, thanks!  :andy:
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 12:53 AM)magikod Wrote: I want a big mac now, thanks!  :andy:

Story of my life man...  Smirk

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
Saw It today, and thought it was pretty great myself. I went into it expecting that if it was done right, the focal point of the movie would surround the kids not Pennywise. Most of Stephen King's 'horror' books and movies typically center around the people dealing with the evil or monster. How they interact, work together, evolve as a group or whatnot, etc. The Mist is a great example, or the Dome, or The Stand.

Well, I thought it was done just right and in this day and age, that is something that is hard to do it seems in Hollywood. THey easily could have made this about PEnnywise and try to make it as much of a horror film as they could. But they didnt and went with the central core of what made the book & the first half of the tv series popular. The kids, and they were great. I wont get into any spoilers or anything but I give it a..

8.5/10

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 04:42 PM)Benton Wrote: Yeah, I remember watching the original and even as a kid it wasn't scary. Loved Tim Curry as Pennywise and he made it worth watching (and rewatching), but the movie itself wasn't very engaging. A big part of that was probably just the effects of the time and — as you mentioned — having to soften some of the scarier/intense moments for network TV.

The book, as most King books go, is great.

It was the first Stephen King novel I ever read. I'd read Skeleton Crew though. Anyway... I couldn't believe how quickly I devoured It. At 14 years old it was the longest book I had ever read. It took me 3-4 days. I get to the ending, and I couldn't believe how bad it was. As I read more of his stuff, I discovered that this wasn't an outlier.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I read It while deployed for Dessert Storm. One night after I got off radio watch I was walking back to my tent. I heard this noise in the darkness and I got so scared I ran back to my tent. Never struck me that it could have been bad guys, just that it was the f-ing clown.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 10:09 PM)jason Wrote: It was the first Stephen King novel I ever read. I'd read Skeleton Crew though. Anyway... I couldn't believe how quickly I devoured It. At 14 years old it was the longest book I had ever read. It took me 3-4 days. I get to the ending, and I couldn't believe how bad it was. As I read more of his stuff, I discovered that this wasn't an outlier.

I think the first of his I read was either Cycle of the werewolf or The Gunslinger. Can't remember which. I love the way he tells a story (as somebody mentioned, most of his stuff is about how people interact with obstacles, not just stories about monsters). But, man, he's got a bad habit of crap endings. Or totally building up characters and then sort of just writing them out of a story. Dark Tower fans can probably relate there.

Anyway, hoping to go see the new movie sometime next week. My son went to see it tonight with friends, will get his take. He's a big King fan.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 12:43 AM)Benton Wrote: I think the first of his I read was either Cycle of the werewolf or The Gunslinger. Can't remember which. I love the way he tells a story (as somebody mentioned, most of his stuff is about how people interact with obstacles, not just stories about monsters). But, man, he's got a bad habit of crap endings. Or totally building up characters and then sort of just writing them out of a story. Dark Tower fans can probably relate there.

Anyway, hoping to go see the new movie sometime next week. My son went to see it tonight with friends, will get his take. He's a big King fan.

I was 3 books I to the Dark Tower series when I quit reading them. This is going back 25 years or so. I know a movie was just released. I don't get to see those often with a two year old. What did he do? Phase the gunslinger character out of the story?

Speaking of bad endings. You ever read the Dark Half?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 10:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I read It while deployed for Dessert Storm. One night after I got off radio watch I was walking back to my tent. I heard this noise in the darkness and I got so scared I ran back to my tent. Never struck me that it could have been bad guys, just that it was the f-ing clown.

Haha... Still can't give you rep I guess.

I wonder if they were Iraqi clowns.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 10:09 PM)jason Wrote: It was the first Stephen King novel I ever read. I'd read Skeleton Crew though. Anyway... I couldn't believe how quickly I devoured It. At 14 years old it was the longest book I had ever read. It took me 3-4 days. I get to the ending, and I couldn't believe how bad it was. As I read more of his stuff, I discovered that this wasn't an outlier.

Ever read The Stand? Its one of the only King books I have read, as I used to read a lot years back. Anyways I still think that is one of the best books I have read in general. And from what I have heard most consider it his best one or right up there.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2017, 06:28 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Saw It today, and thought it was pretty great myself. I went into it expecting that if it was done right, the focal point of the movie would surround the kids not Pennywise. Most of Stephen King's 'horror' books and movies typically center around the people dealing with the evil or monster. How they interact, work together, evolve as a group or whatnot, etc. The Mist is a great example, or the Dome, or The Stand.

Well, I thought it was done just right and in this day and age, that is something that is hard to do it seems in Hollywood. THey easily could have made this about PEnnywise and try to make it as much of a horror film as they could. But they didnt and went with the central core of what made the book & the first half of the tv series popular. The kids, and they were great. I wont get into any spoilers or anything but I give it a..

8.5/10

Yup, due to IMDB, I'd give it a 9/10. Great film.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 11:48 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yup, due to IMDB, I'd give it a 9/10. Great film.

Best part about the movie is that it lived up to the hype, which is hard to do. Especially with an iconic villain like Pennywise who was played masterfully imo by Skarsgard.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 11:35 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Ever read The Stand? Its one of the only King books I have read, as I used to read a lot years back. Anyways I still think that is one of the best books I have read in general. And from what I have heard most consider it his best one or right up there.

I have. It's a great book. I think It, Pet Semetary, and the Stand are my favorite King books. Misery and the Shining aren't far behind though. I also forgot about Cycle of the Werewolf until someone mentioned it earlier.

Back in 1994 or so, they made a TV miniseries based on the Stand. I don't remember it being very good though.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 05:13 PM)jason Wrote: I have. It's a great book. I think It, Pet Semetary, and the Stand are my favorite King books. Misery and the Shining aren't far behind though. I also forgot about Cycle of the Werewolf until someone mentioned it earlier.

Back in 1994 or so, they made a TV miniseries based on the Stand. I don't remember it being very good though.

The Stand on tv was ok. It had some good acting for it, like Lt. Dan, Rob Lowe, Dauber from Coach, & Ed Harris. But then it offset them with Molly Ringwald who I thought was just awful. 

Misery might be the second or third best movie made from a King book. The best being Shawshank, as that is one of the goats ever of any movie. 

Cycle of the Werewolf was good too. I also liked the movie, Silver Bullet with Corey Haim & Gary Busey they made from it.

Reply/Quote