Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its evident ZT doesn't care what Rd you were drafted
(08-26-2019, 07:27 PM)Whatever Wrote: There were numerous clips of Ross torching guys in OTA's and TC last year, as well as tons of positive reports on his play.  It didn't carry over to the regular season, but he looked good in practice.  Meanwhile, there were almost daily reports of Price having snap issues that were largely overlooked and excused away by the fan base.  Boyd made one comment this off season about Ross thinking too much instead of playing fast and people spun it into everything from he can't learn the playbook to be looked terrible in OTA's.  Meanwhile, Price has admitted himself that he had trouble learning the playbook last year, and nobody piles on him for it.  Neither guy has done anything to suggest that they're lazy or that they don't care.  Both guys have their character and work ethic praised by the coaches.  I don't know where anybody could get the idea that one cares more than the other.

I was just tossing that out there as a possible reason Marvin may have kept giving Price a chance and kept Ross on the sidelines.  Part of me sincerely hopes Ross hasn't been trying his best for the past 2 years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 08:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ZT doesn't care what round folks were drafted before he got here.

Yes, I'm looking to see if Trayveon Williams makes the 53 over Ellis. Ellis clearly had the better pre-season.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 08:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yes, I'm looking to see if Trayveon Williams makes the 53 over Ellis. Ellis clearly had the better pre-season.

It's why I balked at the title and stated he doesn't care where other coaches drafted players. It took him about 15 seconds to name Jonah Williams starting LT
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 08:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's why I balked at the title and stated he doesn't care where other coaches drafted players. It took him about 15 seconds to name Jonah Williams starting LT

Good point.  It's a little early to start drawing hard and fast conclusions on ZT's coaching and management style, but ehh, that's what off-seasons are for, eh?
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 10:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Good point.  It's a little early to start drawing hard and fast conclusions on ZT's coaching and management style, but ehh, that's what off-seasons are for, eh?

If he were choosing between 2 good players...that's one thing. He's starting a below average guy over a bad guy...and people are excited.

I can't look at any single starter on the offensive line and say they are even average NFL talent at this point. Losing Boling and Williams was pretty huge.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 10:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If he were choosing between 2 good players...that's one thing. He's starting a below average guy over a bad guy...and people are excited.

I can't look at any single starter on the offensive line and say they are even average NFL talent at this point. Losing Boling and Williams was pretty huge.

Let's be honest though, what are the odds we would be upset if he were starting Price over Hopkins?  We are concluding every move ZT makes (for now) to be a winner and simply explaining WHY said move is brilliant.

Hopkins starts over Price - Great move!  Shows ZT values performance over draft status.  Holds players accountable!  Total opposite of what dumbass Marvin would do, that's for sure!

Price starts over Hopkins - Great move!  Shows ZT is committed to the development of young and talented players even though it might be tempting to play it safe and put a ho-hum vet in there!  Total opposite of what dumbass Marvin would do, that's for sure!
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 10:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Let's be honest though, what are the odds we would be upset if he were starting Price over Hopkins?  We are concluding every move ZT makes (for now) to be a winner and simply explaining WHY said move is brilliant.

Hopkins starts over Price - Great move!  Shows ZT values performance over draft status.  Holds players accountable!  Total opposite of what dumbass Marvin would do, that's for sure!

Price starts over Hopkins - Great move!  Shows ZT is committed to the development of young and talented players even though it might be tempting to play it safe and put a ho-hum vet in there!  Total opposite of what dumbass Marvin would do, that's for sure!

Thus the honeymoon phase. Every move he makes is right!

Same at WR -

Ross named starter - Wow! I knew ZT's scheme would find a way to get Ross the ball.
Willis named starter - Wow! ZT values performance over draft status.
Auden Tate/Malone named starter - Wow! Tate didn't even get a chance under Marvin. Production over draft status!

Pretty much Core is the only one people wouldn't get behind.

As I said, people are getting excited...but he's choosing between bad and below average players. I doubt the results are good this year.

Willis is a good story and all, but a playoff team isn't starting an UDFA Game 1.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 10:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If he were choosing between 2 good players...that's one thing. He's starting a below average guy over a bad guy...and people are excited.

According to PFF Hopkins has been great this preseason, beat out a 1st RD Draft Pick, and looked very good last year as starting OC. What makes him below average?

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 10:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Thus the honeymoon phase. Every move he makes is right!

Same at WR -

Ross named starter - Wow! I knew ZT's scheme would find a way to get Ross the ball.
Auden Tate/Malone named starter - Wow! Tate didn't even get a chance under Marvin. Production over draft status!

As I said, people are getting excited...but he's choosing between bad and below average players. I doubt the results are good this year.

Willis is a good story and all, but a playoff team isn't starting an UDFA Game 1.

It took me 2 seconds to prove this wrong.

Burfict started game 1 and we made the playoffs
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 10:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Thus the honeymoon phase. Every move he makes is right!

Same at WR -

I'm all about the shakeup, but lordy if anyone other than ZT would have proposed starting 2019 with undrafted guys in place of Price and Ross...well, I doubt it would have gotten such lavish praise.  
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 10:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It took me 2 seconds to prove this wrong.

Yeah that was a reach. The three best WRs of the Patriots dynasty are Troy Brown, Wes Welker. and Julian Edleman. Brown was taken in a round we don't even draft anymore, Welker was undrafted, and Edleman went in the 7th

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 10:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm all about the shakeup, but lordy if anyone other than ZT would have proposed starting 2019 with undrafted guys in place of Price and Ross...well, I doubt it would have gotten such lavish praise.  

It is all confusing. ML supposedly never plays or starts rookies, yet he started Price. ZT puts second year guy Price on the bench and he is praised.

I have said all along, HC play guys they think will win the game, their job (livelihood) depends on it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 10:34 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is all confusing. ML supposedly never plays or starts rookies, yet he started Price. ZT puts second year guy Price on the bench and he is praised.

I have said all along, HC play guys they think will win the game, their job (livelihood) depends on it.

Right, I'm A-OK with whatever ZT does and I dig the shake-up but it's funny watching people fall all over themselves to explain why every move he makes is both genius and something Marvin would never ever have done.  Lordy!
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 08:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Billy Price was a 1st Rd draft pick from a elite football
program.
John Ross was a top 10 pick with outstanding
College numbers.
Trey Hopkins undrafted from Texas
Damion Willis undrafted from Troy.
2 are starting
2 aren't.
It's apparent ZT doesnt care who is starting.
He just wants the best 33 on the field.
I wonder how Tobin feels that 2 of his 1st Rd picks
In the Marvin era won't be starting come week 1.
Nobody saw Hopkins or Willis starting a few weeks ago.
You never know.
Jake Dolagada might be the starter next year.

Dont totally buy it, Ross has not practiced at all and still mentioned as a possible starter as WR in a 3 WR set. Taylor mentioned Price injury set him back I believe no injury Price starts.
Reply/Quote
Price got hurt and Hopkins took the chance and played his way into the lineup. Green got hurt and Willis likewise took the chance and played his way into the lineup. It's that simple.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 10:27 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It took me 2 seconds to prove this wrong.

Burfict didn't start the first 2 games of 2012. He came in very early against the Browns in game 2 due to an injury and went from there. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Side note, the Browns have their second year and 2nd round pick o-lineman, Austin Corbett, on their bench, too. Maybe Freddie Kitchens is also bold enough to play the right guys, too.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 08:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Billy Price was a 1st Rd draft pick from a elite football
program.
John Ross was a top 10 pick with outstanding
College numbers.
Trey Hopkins undrafted from Texas
Damion Willis undrafted from Troy.
2 are starting
2 aren't.
It's apparent ZT doesnt care who is starting.
He just wants the best 33 on the field.
I wonder how Tobin feels that 2 of his 1st Rd picks
In the Marvin era won't be starting come week 1.
Nobody saw Hopkins or Willis starting a few weeks ago.
You never know.
Jake Dolagada might be the starter next year.

Why would John Ross be starting? He JUST got back to practice again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 08:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yes, I'm looking to see if Trayveon Williams makes the 53 over Ellis. Ellis clearly had the better pre-season.

They probably WILL drop Ellis, Zac has to drop the ball at least once or twice on his first year.  Help
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 06:18 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I thought this was interesting...

Here is how I see this whole thing. There is something wrong will Billy's foot still. They start Hopkins and let Price's foot get better. Hopkins stays our center until they need him to step into playing a guard position. I think they like Jordan at LG, but he has yet to face the live bullets of a NFL game. If Jordan struggles, then Hopkins slide to LG and Price goes in at center. Heck it could be Miller struggling also. Just my guess.
Reply/Quote