Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J-Hill getting on track?
I was a little surprised to see no one had started a thread about Jeremy Hill's performance today:

16 carries for 86 yards

His long carry was only 15 yards, but he averaged 5.1 ypc. He also had a nice run after a catch for 14 yards and a first down.

I don't mean to say that he is 100% back to what he was late last season, but I saw some things I really liked:

- He looked decisive
- He rarely went down from first contact
- He got "dinged", but kept coming back

Special mention has to go to one of the unsung heroes of this team, Ryan Hewitt. He is an outstanding blocker, but also showed his versatility again with two catches for 29 yards. He is one of the biggest bargains in the NFL. An UDFA, he is a true "nuts and bolts" guy that helps this machine work.

Also the offensive line needs credit for opening holes and keeping Andy clean all day. I think the full week between games and getting back on that schedule is huge. Great job!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I was thrilled how hard he hit the holes today…I think that was the problem he was having, he was looking for a seam instead of just hitting the hole. He is a down Hill runner (pun intended) and needs to hit the hole and run people over!!!
Reply/Quote
The offensive line also played out of their minds, great blocking. There was only one tackle for a loss in the entire game if I'm not mistaken and no sacks. Easier to hit holes when your line plays like that. Still glad he had a good game. Has to be a huge confidence builder.
Reply/Quote
I don't think I've hidden the fact I don't care for Hill too much. I hope he does get back on track, but its his attitude and temper I strongly dislike. He has had some really stupid penalties due to anger.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2015, 11:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don't think I've hidden the fact I don't care for Hill too much. I hope he does get back on track, but its his attitude and temper I strongly dislike. He has had some really stupid penalties due to anger.

Corey Dillon had the same issues.  

These guys have to have their blood boiling during a game to play their best.  They have to be careful to not let it boil over.  It is a tough balancing act.  I am willing to forgive some passionate mistakes for those who play with passion.  
Reply/Quote
He did look better, more decisive. I hope he's getting it together.
Reply/Quote
Hill looked more decisive, and the line played like they had something to prove. I'd like to see JH decisive all the time, and the line not have to make a statement game bc they got blown up badly a couple weeks in a row.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 01:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Corey Dillon had the same issues.  

Corey Dillon seemed to hate the fact that he was on a team that had no chance of doing anything.  He and Hill can't possibly have "the same" issues, thankfully!
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2015, 11:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don't think I've hidden the fact I don't care for Hill too much. I hope he does get back on track, but its his attitude and temper I strongly dislike. He has had some really stupid penalties due to anger.

probly didn't like legarrette blount much either. fact is backs like these rarely do much, however under certain coaches they can be made very useful. probowl level super bowl mvp useful.
Reply/Quote
Gio today? 10 carries for 16 yards. This is why I like the fact that we have 2 talented backs (with different skill-sets) who share the load.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 02:59 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Gio today? 10 carries for 16 yards. This is why I like the fact that we have 2 talented backs (with different skill-sets) who share the load.

Don't forget the huge catch for Gio though... even if the did fumble :snark:
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 03:00 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Don't forget the huge catch for Gio though... even if the did fumble :snark:

I'm not trying to pile on Gio or anything. He's a great player, but he's going to have some off days like this. Luckily we have 2 guys that are capable of stepping up.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Hill was starting to make one move and go, much more often, and he looks much better for it. The big runs will come if you quit searching for it all the time. make a cut and take it up the field.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 03:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm not trying to pile on Gio or anything. He's a great player, but he's going to have some off days like this. Luckily we have 2 guys that are capable of stepping up.

I love both of em.

It would be interesting to see how many positive plays Hill had with Hewitt at FB. I can remember one great block by him today on a long Hill run. Hewitt is a great player. He definitely gets the run game going.
Reply/Quote
its time to pound Hill.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 02:59 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Gio today? 10 carries for 16 yards. This is why I like the fact that we have 2 talented backs (with different skill-sets) who share the load.

So what you're saying is we are back on the "Keep Hill, trade Gio!" wagon now? Ninja
Reply/Quote
I still think we need to run Hill more from a set with Andy under center, but Hill looked great from all formations, even shotgun.

Everyone has said it, but he just looked more decisive and didn't hesitate when he got the ball.

I hope this is a sign of things to come because our offense will be one of the best in the league if we can get a run game going with how good our passing attack is.

I also hope that we don't start splitting carries to "be fair to Gio" when there's circumstances that clearly call for Hill's skill set, like inside the 10 when we need a downhill runner that can plow for tough yards.

Don't get me wrong because I think Gio has an amazing skill set that is also very useful, but when we're giving Hill the ball a lot and he's just hammering it home, we need to stick with him and let the big dog eat!
Reply/Quote
He finally stopped dancing so much in the hole and just ran through it.

We'll see if this was the exception or the beginning of the new rule.

I hope he is back to his old self. We'll see in Cleveland if he can replicate this success.
Reply/Quote
If you saw the holes he was hitting, we could have hit those holes. The dude needs a lot of space initially to run.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It was a relief to see this Hill show up. Finally running through the hole instead of dancing. Hopefully Hill continues to play like this and not this "dance behind the line and look for something else to open up" issue.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote