Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Ja'Marr Chase and Joe Burrow criticize the offensive play calling
(09-20-2021, 05:20 PM)Whatever Wrote: Who do we have that's a good receiving back?  Evans flashed last game, so maybe he can be that guy, but I don't see any proven one.

Mixon is actually a very good receiver out of the backfield. Not surprising if some people wouldn't know that because we don't target him enough.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:20 PM)Whatever Wrote: Who do we have that's a good receiving back?  Evans flashed last game, so maybe he can be that guy, but I don't see any proven one.

What’s your definition of good? I mean, Mixon is no McCaffrey, but he’s more than capable in the passing game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:34 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Mixon is actually a very good receiver out of the backfield. Not surprising if some people wouldn't know that because we don't target him enough.

Joe is averaging 4.2 yards a target.  The top receiving backs are around 6-8.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What’s your definition of good? I mean, Mixon is no McCaffrey, but he’s more than capable in the passing game.

Better than average.  Joe's not bad, but he certainly isn't a good receiving RB, either.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: Joe is averaging 4.2 yards a target.  The top receiving backs are around 6-8.

Well I think alot of that is probably play design. But he has good hands and can be more than effective if given the opportunity.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:47 PM)Whatever Wrote: Better than average.  Joe's not bad, but he certainly isn't a good receiving RB, either.

I disagree with this. He is a good receiving back. We just don't really use him or use him effectively. 
Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/Trags/status/1439964915968659462?s=20

Guys body language is telllllling...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: Joe is averaging 4.2 yards a target.  The top receiving backs are around 6-8.

Alvin Kamara is averaging 3.3 yds a target so he's not a very good receiving back either? He's also averaging less yards per actual reception. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:52 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: https://twitter.com/Trags/status/1439964915968659462?s=20

Guys body language is telllllling...

Sure is.  He is trying real hard not to blast ZT.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Went back and watched the game again. If we are empty set, the reveivers are running 2-8 yard routes give or take. If we are 3 wide with a TE lined up as a FB, we are running. If we are double TE with receiver bunched in, we are running. Everything is given away in our formation alone. There is zero misdirection, counters, screens. Mixon constantly being met at the line of scrimmage or one yard from the LOS, but again its obvious when we are running. There is just about zero routes for double moves. Watching Chicago’s DBs they were just literally sitting on the underneath routes. The one deep route that was completely uncovered was a Uzomah wheel route, and yet Burrow threw it into the back of a defender covering a short route.

If your franchise QB is calling you out then you better start changing up your playcalling otherwise you will be gone. Also if Burrow had not audibled on 4th down last week the best we would have walked away with is a tie. Clock would have been running down to 20-30 seconds at midfield with no timeouts. Thank God for at least Burrow being aggressive.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:34 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Mixon is actually a very good receiver out of the backfield. Not surprising if some people wouldn't know that because we don't target him enough.

(09-20-2021, 05:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What’s your definition of good? I mean, Mixon is no McCaffrey, but he’s more than capable in the passing game.

Good points from both of you; I suspect Joe Mixon’s issues with insufficient yards after catch deal with wide receivers who are horrendous downfield blockers.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 08:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Good points from both of you; I suspect Joe Mixon’s issues with insufficient yards after catch deal with wide receivers who are horrendous downfield blockers.

Definitely needs to get better. It has only been 2 games, the numbers will change big time as the season rolls.
Reply/Quote
If you're to believe PFF, the chargers had the worst rated o line last year, and that didn't stop their qb from winning rookie of the year. And he threw deep quite a bit.

So I'm more inclined to blame the coaching rather than the olone more for the woes against the bears. That's not saying the o line can't use improvement, because it can, but you can play well with a bad oline.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:17 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Alvin Kamara is averaging 3.3 yds a target so he's not a very good receiving back either? He's also averaging less yards per actual reception. 

Mixon has Chase, Higgins, and Boyd that defenses have to account for in the passing game.

Kamara has Deonte Harris, Juwan Johnson, and Lil'Jordan Humphrey.

I think defenses are probably keying a lot more on Kamara in the pass game.  And Kamara can actually pass block.

People have said this about Mixon since he's been here, but multiple HC's and OC's have determined he's not well suited for it.  
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 08:46 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: If you're to believe PFF, the chargers had the worst rated o line last year, and that didn't stop their qb from winning rookie of the year. And he threw deep quite a bit.

So I'm more inclined to blame the coaching rather than the olone more for the woes against the bears. That's not saying the o line can't use improvement, because it can, but you can play well with a bad oline.

Lots of things to analyze with scheme and play calling when judging an OL. Burrow just had a terrible game honestly. He shown fight
though which is the positive part. He is smart and he will learn, he is going to go through that film thoroughly. Won't be fun, but that 
is how you learn and get good. Those first 2 interceptions were Ug Lee.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 08:51 PM)Whatever Wrote: Mixon has Chase, Higgins, and Boyd that defenses have to account for in the passing game.

I think defenses are probably keying a lot more on Kamara in the pass game.  And Kamara can actually pass block.

People have said this about Mixon since he's been here, but multiple HC's and OC's have determined he's not well suited for it.  

We weren't talking pass blocking and yes that could be better. But he's a good pass catcher and it's not his fault we don't target him. I don't think the Bears were all that worried about our WR or they wouldn't be sitting on the routes.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 08:51 PM)Whatever Wrote: Mixon has Chase, Higgins, and Boyd that defenses have to account for in the passing game.

And I disagree with them beyond imagination. Mixon has great hands and can run routes very well. Ran routes like a WR at OU.

The problem is that Burrow needs him in pass protection as Perine has been bad so far this year. I think we need to drop Sample 
back and use him as an H-Back at times and if they forget him use him on drop offs if they are there. This could open up some 
things. Also not a bad idea to use both Evans and Mixon at the same time a few snaps a game to change things up. Need to see 
more screens, whether middle TE screens, WR screens or RB screens. Bate them in and punish them.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 08:23 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Went back and watched the game again. If we are empty set, the reveivers are running 2-8 yard routes give or take. If we are 3 wide with a TE lined up as a FB, we are running. If we are double TE with receiver bunched in, we are running. Everything is given away in our formation alone. There is zero misdirection, counters, screens. Mixon constantly being met at the line of scrimmage or one yard from the LOS, but again its obvious when we are running. There is just about zero routes for double moves. Watching Chicago’s DBs they were just literally sitting on the underneath routes. The one deep route that was completely uncovered was a Uzomah wheel route, and yet Burrow threw it into the back of a defender covering a short route.

If your franchise QB is calling you out then you better start changing up your playcalling otherwise you will be gone. Also if Burrow had not audibled on 4th down last week the best we would have walked away with is a tie. Clock would have been running down to 20-30 seconds at midfield with no timeouts. Thank God for at least Burrow being aggressive.

Yeah. I watched the game and the broadcaster called out at least 4 or 5 of our plays before the snap (and was correct). If a broadcaster can do it that easily, imagine an NFL defense. Terrible coaching by Zac. I'd be very frustrated if I were Burrow and co. Such a waste of all this talent. A decent coach would have this offense humming (and would have addressed the oline last year). And as Zac has said the past few years, the offensive line is great. Marv said when he left that the next coach's success will be determined by if they fix the offensive line or not. He was right.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:03 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Yeah. I watched the game and the broadcaster called out at least 4 or 5 of our plays before the snap (and was correct). If a broadcaster can do it that easily, imagine an NFL defense. Terrible coaching by Zac. I'd be very frustrated if I were Burrow and co. Such a waste of all this talent. A decent coach would have this offense humming (and would have addressed the oline last year). And as Zac has said the past few years, the offensive line is great. Marv said when he left that the next coach's success will be determined by if they fix the offensive line or not. He was right.

I noticed that too. Sanchez would draw the line and then Mixon would follow it. That’s pathetic. Makes you wonder if they even worked this week… I heard on a podcast they did an additional walkthrough this week instead of a regular practice… what were they doing leading up to this game?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 01:07 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Apparently we are already predictable, as evidenced today.

Fair enough.

(09-20-2021, 12:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: Small hands will stop him from being able to give the threatening Big Ben pump fake, but all he really needs is a quick shoulder twitch for the same effect. It's never been big in the offense. Dalton used to have a good one in his early years. But nothing that was a big part of the offense (double moves).

Exactly what I was going to say. He could still fake with his shoulder...even with his tiny toddler hands.

(09-20-2021, 03:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think the final tally was 5 sacks and 9 QB hits.  A gameplan with so much focus on short/quick plays and Burrow gets nailed 9 times to go with the 5 times he didn't get the ball out seems to tell the tale. Or does a sack also count as a hit? So 5 sacks and 4 hits, total?

Wowzers. That's a sack or a hit on literally every other throw.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote