Poll: Who should be the RT?
Jackson Carman
D'Ante Smith
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.6 Average
Jackson Carman or D'Ante Smith at RT
INb4 someone comes in here and says the Bengals will cut him, the Steelers will pick him up and he'll turn into a perennial All Pro. "Because Bengals", sliced bread, yadda yadda. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 12:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Wasn't that at LT?  He seemed to be serviceable there, but on the right side he was awful.

This ^.  

Carman has not shown he can play on the right side, be it tackle or guard.  Smith has really developed and seemed to have regressed in last year's preseason games.

The 2021 draft was the most trenches-oriented draft we may have ever had, and it has not been good.  Outside of Chase and McPherson we drafted 7 linemen.

Carman, total bust.

Ossai, doesnt play anymore for whatever reason.

Sample, is ok for a depth guy.

Shelvin, out of the league.

Smith, not good.

Hill, never plays, likely needs to be replaced.

Hubert, injured in camp retired.

Keep this in mind for all of you who want the Bengals to go hard after the trenches in the draft.  (We also drafted Evans who may not make the roster in 2024).

Reply/Quote
It's a gun to your head decision, but it would be Carman simply because he has shown SOMETHING positive.

But yeah, anyone else would definitely be the choice here.

(02-13-2024, 09:43 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't think D'Ante Smith would "win" the job so much as Carman would lose it to literally whoever he was competing against. Carman is terrible and would lose his job to a paper bag should the opportunity arise.

Only 2 1/2 games, but he wasn't terrible in the playoffs last year...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 03:50 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Let's pretend we lose Jonah in free agency and don't like the price for outside free agent RT help. Then the draft falls the way it did for us at TE last year. Meaning we get nothing.

We have two draft picks that hopefully have been developing for three years now.

Doesn't seem ideal. But I think we could be alright.

Who do you think would win the RT job between Jackson Carman and D'Ante Smith

neither one Jackson Carmen holds a lot,gets two plus penalities a game. And Smith gets beat a lot and gets our QB sacked.I would trade both.They are not worth any money
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 04:04 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: neither one Jackson Carmen holds a lot,gets two plus penalities a game. And Smith gets beat a lot and gets our QB sacked.I would trade both.They are not worth any money

So neither are good players, they are not worth any money, and we dont want them, so we should trade them to..... who?

Reply/Quote
Carman is strange in that he is just allergic to being on the right side - on the left side he isn't bad. Really he should be trade bait for OL needy teams as you can put him in on the left side and he will be competent at T or G. given his right side allergy he probably;y fetches a later round pick but better than nothing.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 03:50 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Let's pretend we lose Jonah in free agency and don't like the price for outside free agent RT help. Then the draft falls the way it did for us at TE last year. Meaning we get nothing.

We have two draft picks that hopefully have been developing for three years now.

Doesn't seem ideal. But I think we could be alright.

Who do you think would win the RT job between Jackson Carman and D'Ante Smith

Couldn't vote for either one. If we don't get a Free Agent RT or draft one early, it would be a huge mistake to rely on either of these guys.

I used to like Carman's upside, but he just seems to only be able to play LT. D'Ante Smith is way too soft.
Reply/Quote
Don't put that evil on me bro.
Reply/Quote
A lot of you guys act like it would be the end of the world.

Who was the RT when we went to the Super Bowl then the afc championship?
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 07:04 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: A lot of you guys act like it would be the end of the world.

Who was the RT when we went to the Super Bowl then the afc championship?

And what are the reasons we didn't win the Super Bowl or the last AFC Championship?

I would say poor OL play, we need to get the OL fixed and the DL fixed. We do this, we can win the SB, if not...

Not likely even with a healthy Joe Burrow and company.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 07:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And what are the reasons we didn't win the Super Bowl or the last AFC Championship?

I would say poor OL play, we need to get the OL fixed and the DL fixed. We do this, we can win the SB, if not...

Not likely even with a healthy Joe Burrow and company.

Chiefs best offensive linemen Thuney was hurt and missed the Super Bowl and they still won.

It just hit me last night. Never know what the front office and coaches are thinking. Maybe they like Carman and/or D’Ante and decide to go with a plan at RT none of us were even considering. So I just wanted to put it out there.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 07:20 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Chiefs best offensive linemen Thuney was hurt and missed the Super Bowl and they still won.

It just hit me last night. Never know what the front office and coaches are thinking. Maybe they like Carman and/or D’Ante and decide to go with a plan at RT none of us were even considering. So I just wanted to put it out there.

True, but when we lost the AFC Championship to the Chiefs, we had 3 backups playing and it really hurt us in that game.

Hey, I wish Carman could be the guy, I have always supported the guy more than most, but he only seems to be able to play LT.

We need to add a veteran RT in Free Agency IMO.

I think if we don't add one we could be in trouble once again in front of Burrow and I don't want that to continue to be the problem forever.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 07:20 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Chiefs best offensive linemen Thuney was hurt and missed the Super Bowl and they still won.

their tackles are crap, but just like Nick Bosa said:

"they hold a lot"

it would be nice for cincy to get the no call treatment, but they dont

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Would I rather get kicked in the nuts repeatedly by a coked-up rabid gorilla, or spend a week tied to a chair listening to Tiny Tim screech "Tiptoe thru the Tulips" on an endless loop?

Let me get back to you on this.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 04:04 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: neither one Jackson Carmen holds a lot,gets two plus penalities a game. And Smith gets beat a lot and gets our QB sacked.I would trade both.They are not worth any money

1. 0 proof of that and it's wrong anyways: that means Carman should have 44 (or more) penalties a game.
He has 7, with one of them being holding.

2. Yup, with 56 snaps over 3 years, there is SO MUCH tape on him getting beaten a lot and giving up sacks, right?

We get the sentiment behind your words, but you clearly don't watch/follow this team if you think what you wrote is correct.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 07:52 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: their tackles are crap, but just like Nick Bosa said:

"they hold a lot"

it would be nice for cincy to get the no call treatment, but they dont

KC has won 3 Super Bowls and were not called for holding once in any of them.... I just shake my head, against us they hold more than any other opponent we play.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 08:53 PM)casear2727 Wrote: KC has won 3 Super Bowls and were not called for holding once in any of them.... I just shake my head, against us they hold more than any other opponent we play.

It’s weird because they were calling penalties on KC a lot in this most recent one. Just not on the OL.

Reply/Quote
Neither, the time has come to drop the dead weight of these guys and maybe few more depth OL.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 08:53 PM)casear2727 Wrote: KC has won 3 Super Bowls and were not called for holding once in any of them.... I just shake my head, against us they hold more than any other opponent we play.

Chiefs hold second most.

Steelers.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 11:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We're in that void between the Superbowl and the beginning of Free Agency, when there is very little in the way of actual team news to talk about..

Yep.

The resurrection of Jackson carmans career topic is valid....  Tongue
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote