Poll: Who should be the RT?
Jackson Carman
D'Ante Smith
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.6 Average
Jackson Carman or D'Ante Smith at RT
Carman has looked ok on the left side but he has been absolutely horrible on the right. No way we put Carman at RT
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 07:04 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: A lot of you guys act like it would be the end of the world.

Who was the RT when we went to the Super Bowl then the afc championship?

They could consider doing it if they planned on taking a 1st round Right Tackle that they wanted to ease into a 

starting role by say week 5 or 6. 

Start Jackson Carman or D'Ante Smith early season until the rookie (say JC Latham as the round 1 pick) gets up to speed to start.

*The Steelers took 1st rounder Broderick Jones at pick 14 in 2023 and he was starting by week 5.

It could happen with a highly Drafted rookie in the mix...
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 03:59 PM)depthchart Wrote: They could consider doing it if they planned on taking a 1st round Right Tackle that they wanted to ease into a 

starting role by say week 5 or 6. 

Start Jackson Carman or D'Ante Smith early season until the rookie (say JC Latham as the round 1 pick) gets up to speed to start.

*The Steelers took 1st rounder Broderick Jones at pick 14 in 2023 and he was starting by week 5.

It could happen with a highly Drafted rookie in the mix...

Yah never know, Carman wasn't a bad run blocker at RT last preseason, he was just a terrible pass blocker.

I have gave up on D'Ante Smith though. He just seems to be a walking penalty and he plays soft to boot.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 05:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yah never know, Carman wasn't a bad run blocker at RT last preseason, he was just a terrible pass blocker.

I have gave up on D'Ante Smith though. He just seems to be a walking penalty and he plays soft to boot.

It better be very Temporary if they did use one or both of them for a while.

There should be a decent 1st round Right Tackle option available to the Bengals this Draft, so they could try it.

Maybe sign a 1 year Free Agent RT instead of a more expensive multi-year guy and Draft a rookie RT

-or- 

just use Carman or Smith for a while with a rookie like say JC Latham easing in as the season goes on.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 05:36 PM)depthchart Wrote: It better be very Temporary if they did use one or both of them for a while.

There should be a decent 1st round Right Tackle option available to the Bengals this Draft, so they could try it.

Maybe sign a 1 year Free Agent RT instead of a more expensive multi-year guy and Draft a rookie RT

-or- 

just use Carman or Smith for a while with a rookie like say JC Latham easing in as the season goes on.

I guess it could be worse, I just think for sure we are going to add a RT in FA like Eluemunor and it is the smart move rather than relying
on either one of these guys. JC Latham I would be happy with at 18 but Bama OL haven't been working out in the NFL lately even if I like
the guy. Give me Eluemunor and JC Latham and I am much happier than Carman or Smith having significant amounts of snaps this season.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 05:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I guess it could be worse, I just think for sure we are going to add a RT in FA like Eluemunor and it is the smart move rather than relying
on either one of these guys. JC Latham I would be happy with at 18 but Bama OL haven't been working out in the NFL lately even if I like
the guy. Give me Eluemunor and JC Latham and I am much happier than Carman or Smith having significant amounts of snaps this season.

I agree.

If the Bengals have their eye on more of a developmental RT in the Draft, then a Free Agent is likely coming in.

If they want a more NFL ready 1st rounder then they could maybe think about the Carman or Smith for part of the season

idea that the OP sort of hinted at.

Which one of Carman or Smith would start week 1 if one of them had to ?
Reply/Quote
There's got to be more than play on the field stopping the team from trying JC full-time. The dude had a higher PFF score his rookie season than Volson did. In about 500 career snaps the guy has played 3 different positions along the line and has never given up a sack.

This is the last year of his rookie contract. I predict he'll go to a team with a real online coach next year and become a solid starter. Musch like Eluminar, the guy many around here want
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 06:10 PM)depthchart Wrote: I agree.

If the Bengals have their eye on more of a developmental RT in the Draft, then a Free Agent is likely coming in.

If they want a more NFL ready 1st rounder then they could maybe think about the Carman or Smith for part of the season

idea that the OP sort of hinted at.

Which one of Carman or Smith would start week 1 if one of them had to ?

If I had to choose I would choose Carman to start over Smith...

(02-14-2024, 06:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's got to be more than play on the field stopping the team from trying JC full-time. The dude had a higher PFF score his rookie season than Volson did. In about 500 career snaps the guy has played 3 different positions along the line and has never given up a sack.

This is the last year of his rookie contract. I predict he'll go to a team with a real online coach next year and become a solid starter. Musch like Eluminar, the guy many around here want

Could be correct.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 06:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's got to be more than play on the field stopping the team from trying JC full-time. The dude had a higher PFF score his rookie season than Volson did. In about 500 career snaps the guy has played 3 different positions along the line and has never given up a sack.

Kid probably doesn't have much going on between the ears or doesn't show improvement in practice, that's my guess. He's been a healthy inactive the majority of the year, why?! That's unacceptable for a second round pick. If they had any hope for him, it left when they signed OBJr. I'm thinking he leaves here, goes to a team with a *real* offensive line coach, and still ends up in the Ogbuehi / Bobby Hart tier (if not out of the league entirely).
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 08:20 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Kid probably doesn't have much going on between the ears or doesn't show improvement in practice, that's my guess. He's been a healthy inactive the majority of the year, why?! That's unacceptable for a second round pick. If they had any hope for him, it left when they signed OBJr. I'm thinking he leaves here, goes to a team with a *real* offensive line coach, and still ends up in the Ogbuehi / Bobby Hart tier (if not out of the league entirely).

Fun fact: Ced played for Frank for 1 year. He played 54 snaps and had a 51 pff rating. The next year he went to the Jags had 156 snaps with a 67 pff rating.

Bobby Hart played 1-year for Frank; he had a 56.7 pff rating. Our "bad" oline coach got him to 57 the next year and up to 66 the year after.

So yeah, I think there's a chance an olineman can do better once he leaves Pollack 

Pollack has one goal. To make Cordel Volson our best olineman and he's almost there

Reply/Quote

Maybe he's that kid that always forgets his cleats or brings the wrong jersey to a game.....
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2024, 10:28 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Maybe he's that kid that always forgets his cleats or brings the wrong jersey to a game.....

Whatever it was, they seemed to give up on him quickly

Reply/Quote
Kid probably goes through practice with the same enthusiasm he showed when his name was called on draft day.
?
Reply/Quote
As much as I wanted to pick neither, it wasn't an option.
So I picked Carman because at least he's shown some good playing ability at times.
I can't think of a time I've watched Smith and said to myself, "Man, he looks good!"
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 01:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As much as I wanted to pick neither, it wasn't an option.
So I picked Carman because at least he's shown some good playing ability at times.
I can't think of a time I've watched Smith and said to myself, "Man, he looks good!"

Same here, at least Carman flashes some good stuff at times especially when run blocking.

Never seen a time where D'Ante Smith caught my eye in a good way.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 03:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same here, at least Carman flashes some good stuff at times especially when run blocking.

i think if either of these 2 are the plan who evers plan that is should be looking for a new job
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 05:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think if either of these 2 are the plan who evers plan that is should be looking for a new job

I agree. We need a RT in Free Agency big time and if we ignore this fact whoever is to blame needs to be gone.

I find it extremely unlikely that Carman and especially D'Ante Smith are the answer at RT.
Reply/Quote
I feel like it's really likely that we get another mid level guy from FA and get a future RT in the first couple rounds of either this draft or the next. The biggest thing we need to hope for is that we keep hitting the draft well like we've been the past few years.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 03:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same here, at least Carman flashes some good stuff at times especially when run blocking.

I know according to stats, he had a couple of plays, but I don't even remember Smith in a game.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 08:19 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I feel like it's really likely that we get another mid level guy from FA and get a future RT in the first couple rounds of either this draft or the next. The biggest thing we need to hope for is that we keep hitting the draft well like we've been the past few years.

For sure, it is no coincidence that once we started Drafting well again we started winning.

(02-15-2024, 11:15 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I know according to stats, he had a couple of plays, but I don't even remember Smith in a game.

I remember D'Ante's penalties and him getting beat, that is about it. Plus, he has been hurt a lot as well.
Reply/Quote