Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Jackson Carmen hahahahaha
(05-01-2021, 09:32 AM)The Clapp Wrote: What's sad is the fact that people are so hurt about the Bengals not taking Sewell, that i doesn't matter who the they take in later rounds....

What's sad is the fact that the same people who gave you Cedric Ogbuehi, John Ross and Billy Price, are now selling you on an OL that just had back surgery..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Some folks obviously do not have the ability to apply objectivity to the draft. Let's recap.

I believe in building from the trenches out. However, there was a single consensus #1 caliber WR in this draft, a need we had, and we got that player. Not sure how you dislike that selection.

The best thing that could have happened to this O line was to bring Frank Pollack back and to can Turner. Check. For those who would like to refute that I would suggest researching the individual rankings of our existing players under each coach.

The Bengals made a major upgrade at RT by cutting Hart and bringing in Reiff. While Reiff is a one year deal that does not mean they do not work out a longer deal. He is only 32 and Whit is still playing at 39.

Williams and Reiff are pretty much locked as the opening day OTs so drafting at this point is for immediate OG help and future OT help.

Jackson Carmen was a really good selection. We got the guy that Pollack liked at 38 and added selections in the 4th while doing that. Carmen will more than likely open the season as a major upgrade at one of the OG spots (probably LG). While he will not play LT in the NFL, other than emergency, I do believe he offers the option of being a high caliber long time option at RT because of his natural strength, bend, and crazy athleticism. They could also choose to leave him at OG where if that is the case he offers a long term high caliber option.

They could still add an OT such as James Hudson or Jaylon Moore to name a couple who could offer real upside at future RT or in the case of Hudson LT or RT.

While some may disagree I think the jury is still out of Fred Johnson which is why I really like having Pollack back. I think Johnson holds promise at OT, especially on the right side.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 09:32 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: The worst thing is he has disc injury in his back, that is a career ending type of injury.  Why would they take that risk?

Im hoping this guy works out but yes the injury history is troubling and I have read different opinions on him...from a great mauler type of G to someone who hasnt lived up to his potential and has balance issues. All I have to say as this being our fiest OL taken in this critical yr is ZT better have nailed this or show him the door . Hopefully Pollack weighed in on this too. What would add insult to injury is if Barmore turns out to be a probowler for NE. with our pick they snagged.    
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 10:24 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/bengals/.amp/news/cincinnati-bengals-interested-in-clemson-offensive-lineman-jackson-carman

Also Sports Illustrated reported that this was going to be the Bengals pick 3 hours before they made it.

Paul Alexander and Willie Anderson were so glowing that they had him rated as their number one guard, so those saying we traded back and then lost our guy are wrong.

I’m drooling over some of those highlights. I think we can expect him to do a lot of pulling with that lateral movement at the G position. Count me excited.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:06 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: I’m drooling over some of those highlights. I think we can expect him to do a lot of pulling with that lateral movement at the G position. Count me excited.

He’s going to be a monster in the run game. Joe Mixon should be very happy.
Reply/Quote
It's absolutely comical how many people on this board think they are better judges of Offensive Line talent than Frank Pollack is.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:06 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: I’m drooling over some of those highlights. I think we can expect him to do a lot of pulling with that lateral movement at the G position. Count me excited.

Yeah, I am too. His hands are underrated as well, and that initial punch he has is just downright violent at times. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:20 AM)Deacon Wrote: And Anderson and Alexander, and anyone else that's had firsthand experience working with the kid. Nope, they wanna get all sorts of angry because PFF is gospel again this week. 

Pff is gospel only when it suits there argument
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:20 AM)Deacon Wrote: And Anderson and Alexander, and anyone else that's had firsthand experience working with the kid. Nope, they wanna get all sorts of angry because PFF is gospel again this week. 

I mean, it's pretty straightforward to me. If I were to make a favorite pick, it would totally be off watching tape where I have no idea what I'm watching, and from reading stats and breakdowns, which are mostly someone else's opinion. I probably would have taken Creed Humphrie when we had the chance. But I don't coach in the NFL, never played in the NFL, never played Oline anyway, have no idea what Pollack wants to run as far as scheme other than what has been reported. I bow to his judgement. Give him the guys HE wants, and let him sink or swim with them. Supporting them is the best we can do as fans. Criticizing them before they even get to the equipment room and get a helmet is just being butthurt because your guy didn't get picked. 
Reply/Quote

Jackson can really move for a big guy. I watched the game tape from ND and Miami and he was solid against 2 very good defenses. He does seem to struggle a bit with the speedy edge rushers, but if he is playing G here that wont be an issue, but Pollack already said he has to learn to come out quicker in the NFL so I'm sure that will be a point of emphasis. 

Dont like his back injury but how severe was it? I dont know enough about it and I'd like to know more. As it stands he seems to be ready to go. As long as he works hard and stays in shape, he could be a good pickup. His attitude seems to be good and he seems to really want to play. I just hope he really buys in and works hard to be a good football player. If he takes to the coaching and buys into the team, his ceiling is solid. 

I admit I wanted other guys for the OL who were picked before him, but this is the guy we have and I'm going to cheer him on to become great. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:22 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Pff is gospel only when it suits there argument

Well, PFF had him at 48 on their big board, and the Bengals took him at 46...and got 2 4th rounders. 
Reply/Quote

PFF likes Carman. They had him ranked literally 2 spots behind where we took him.

9. JACKSON CARMAN, CLEMSON

PFF BIG BOARD RANK: 48

Carman has legit movement skills for a 320-pound tackle. He’s still a bit of a work in progress in pass protection — he only earned a 77.1 pass-block grade last year — but he’s only a true junior with two years of starting experience.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:22 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Pff is gospel only when it suits there argument

PFF had Jamin Davis a 4th or 5th round pick, and Jackson Carman a 3rd or 4th round pick in the mock simulator even though they had both of them ranked as they could be higher than where they would be taken. They also gave Billy Price an 18 pff pass blocking grade in a game where Burrow barely got touched and didnt take a sack. They are entertaining and a pretty good general guideline to get an idea, but far off in some instances. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 09:51 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's sad is the fact that the same people who gave you Cedric Ogbuehi, John Ross and Billy Price, are now selling you on an OL that just had back surgery..

I seriously hope the "back surgery" is a fabrication.. if it's not then this will be very disappointing.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:31 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Well, PFF had him at 48 on their big board, and the Bengals took him at 46...and got 2 4th rounders. 

I love the pick, and getting 2 4s in the process is awesome planning. I hope this plan comes full circle in the coming round
Reply/Quote
I can’t objectively judge his play because I don’t know much about him. Hopefully it will work out and he will play well for us. He definately has talent so the team has to get it out of him. There are also some OL guys (Hudson/Smith) still available that may be able to help.

I wonder if some of you actually want your team to succeed. It’s OK to disagree or not love picks but some of you are so negative I wonder why you are fans of this team.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:35 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I seriously hope the "back surgery" is a fabrication.. if it's not then this will be very disappointing.

It’s not a “fabrication.” He had surgery in January for a herniated disc. It’s really nowhere near as big of a deal as some here are making it. I mean, half the board was banging the drum for a OT that not only has hip issues, but possibly more...

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:36 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I love the pick, and getting 2 4s in the process is awesome planning. I hope this plan comes full circle in the coming round

I'm hoping they keep all the picks today. Take as many shots as possible. Still a lot of intriguing players on day 3.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s not a “fabrication.” He had surgery in January for a herniated disc. It’s really nowhere near as big of a deal as some here are making it. I mean, half the board was banging the drum for a OT that not only has hip issues, but possibly more...

Agree.  As a guy who works in the medical field his surgery was minor and he will be fine.  Now I can't say the same for Jenkins and all he had going on.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s not a “fabrication.” He had surgery in January for a herniated disc. It’s really nowhere near as big of a deal as some here are making it. I mean, half the board was banging the drum for a OT that not only has hip issues, but possibly more...

Yeah, Jenkins also had a lower back injury last year before opting opt.
Reply/Quote