Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackson Carmen - hear me out
I noticed a lot here unimpressed by our 2nd Round pick - but hear me out:

When I watched the game I saw a player lock on his defender in pass pro and stand his ground. It may have not been pretty and the run game still has some work, but I think a lot of fans care too much about the look when it comes to offensive line. Same goes for DT.

Not ready to anoint him as a good NFL player, he wasn’t going up against a lot of quality starters - but remember Burrow got injured last year because of the interior.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 12:27 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: I noticed a lot here unimpressed by our 2nd Round pick - but hear me out:

When I watched the game I saw a player lock on his defender in pass pro and stand his ground. It may have not been pretty and the run game still has some work, but I think a lot of fans care too much about the look when it comes to offensive line. Same goes for DT.

Not ready to anoint him as a good NFL player, he wasn’t going up against a lot of quality starters - but remember Burrow got injured last year because of the interior.

He did well in pass pro and 1 on 1 run blocking. Where he struggled was pulling outside the tackle and doubling the DE then moving to a linebacker.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm bullish on Carman. Always have been, always will be. If he puts in the discipline on his technique and timing he'll be elite.
Reply/Quote
Would really prefer for a 2nd rounder to dominate against 2nd-3rd stringers.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I thought he played alright. He was fine against the pass and I saw him work across his defender and force them the wrong way in the run game. He wasn't driving them into the LBers or anything but he was getting the job done
Reply/Quote
Good part: he played ok outside of penalty

Worry part: he was outplayed by many of picks after him
Reply/Quote
I don’t think he played poorly, but it does look like he needs some work before he can crack the lineup. I did like several of his reps in the run game. He’s young and switching positions. I think he’ll be fine, we just have to give him some time.
Reply/Quote
As advertised. Didn’t look out of place at G like what another giant human Fred Johnson did at G last year.

Really nice talent injection into the OL this off-season. After watching Redmond and Hart over the last couple days it’s safe to say we have already improved and the new guys don’t even have a full training camp yet.
Reply/Quote
He’s adjusting to a new position. These reps in the preseason against any level of competition is going to help him learn. He had some really nice blocks but he also got beat on a few plays.

He’s a rookie. He’s adjusting. He’s going to be OK.
Reply/Quote
He still needs to correct one of the same issues he showed at Clemson. Even there as a very effective blocker, he was often getting up off the ground after the play. Many of these plays , he still won against his guy , yet was on the ground after the play unfolded. I specifically looked for this during the preseason game, and ….he was often getting up off his #ss haha. I’m sure Pollack have been working on this, although old habits can take reps and time to break. He’s able to still win battles and be effective at times with this flaw, but if he can sure-up his triangular base and get his foot and shoulder alignment corrected, he has very nice upside. Balance and foundation can be a key to both life and to an offensive lineman lol. And we need to also remember that the infamous trade-down also gave us D’ante Smith and Tyler Shelvin.
Reply/Quote
He’s got to get a LOT better if he wants to start week 1. I see Smith starting at guard before him at this point.
Reply/Quote
It was his first game, he did ok.

Lets see what he does next time out.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 02:08 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Would really prefer for a 2nd rounder to dominate against 2nd-3rd stringers.

Only about half of second round picks become starters as rookies.  So most of them are still 2nd-3rd stringers themselves.
Reply/Quote
Pollack has his work cut out for him, but you can see the raw talent
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
By the way....Carman murder death killed a guy on 2nd and goal right before halftime. Literally brought him to his knees and bent him backwards on to his back. The play where Evans took it to the goal line on Carman's right side
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:42 AM)bonesaw Wrote: By the way....Carman murder death killed a guy on 2nd and goal right before halftime. Literally brought him to his knees and bent him backwards on to his back. The play where Evans took it to the goal line on Carman's right side

Definitely showed some really great moments. Just needs consistency. Hopefully with time and reps. On a side note. Jordan didn’t leap out negatively to me.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:44 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Definitely showed some really great moments. Just needs consistency. Hopefully with time and reps. On a side note. Jordan didn’t leap out negatively to me.

He wasn't horrible but that's about the best you can say about him. "wasn't horrible". 

He did let David bounce right off him and get to Perine on the fumble play. Not much effort at all on the block. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:54 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He wasn't horrible but that's about the best you can say about him. "wasn't horrible". 

He did let David bounce right off him and get to Perine on the fumble play. Not much effort at all on the block. 

I trust Matt Minich when it comes to OL play and he apparently likes what he saw from Jordan last night.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:58 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I trust Matt Minich when it comes to OL play and he apparently likes what he saw from Jordan last night.

LOL. I didn't see anything "impressive" about Jordan. Unless you look at the gap of how terrible he was last year to how average his looks this year. 

I'm not on a bash train either. I hope he improves and becomes a productive player. I just didn't see the effort that i expected after hearing him talk this past offseason. He needs to watch some tape of Isaiah Prince. That dude goes for days and finishes.

P.S. The fact he doesn't have Prince on his list is telling...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 12:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: LOL. I didn't see anything "impressive" about Jordan. Unless you look at the gap of how terrible he was last year to how average his looks this year. 

I'm not on a bash train either. I hope he improves and becomes a productive player. I just didn't see the effort that i expected after hearing him talk this past offseason. He needs to watch some tape of Isaiah Prince. That dude goes for days and finishes.

P.S. The fact he doesn't have Prince on his list is telling...

He put up some plays where MJ looked pretty good (there’s a couple like this one).

Reply/Quote