Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jahmyr Gibbs
There are several sources linking the Bengals to Jahmyr Gibbs. The more I consider the prospect the more I like it. There is not doubt he is a playmaker that is a threat to take it to the house every time it the ball is in his hands as a RB or a WR. I honestly think this could be a huge boost for an already dynamic offense. He may not carry the ball 20 times a game but if he touches it in some way 10 to 15 times then defenses will be sweating.

Would you be good with this selection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd1Ofq-dJps
Reply/Quote
I sincerely believe that a player like Gibbs could very well be that dynamic addition that gives opposing defenses "one thing too many" to have to consider when defending the Bengal offense. Until quite recently, I had been stuck on Darnell Washington as that guy add to the Bengals O to make them virtually undefendable.

When you really think about it, Gibbs is pretty much like having another Jamarr Chase, only a little bit shorter and lining up in the backfield or the slot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 03:30 PM)OSUfan Wrote: There are several sources linking the Bengals to Jahmyr Gibbs. The more I consider the prospect the more I like it. There is not doubt he is a playmaker that is a threat to take it to the house every time it the ball is in his hands as a RB or a WR. I honestly think this could be a huge boost for an already dynamic offense. He may not carry the ball 20 times a game but if he touches it in some way 10 to 15 times then defenses will be sweating.

Assuming there isn't someone at CB or DL that falls into their laps, Gibbs would be my favorite option. 
Reply/Quote
I am hoping our pick is Gibbs tonight, he’s dynamic as a runner and receiver. I love his ability as a receiver to bump out to the slot on plays and agree it would give opposing defenses fits. Washington could be available to us in the second, I would be absolutely giddy if we got both. The rest of the draft could go to the defense.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 03:30 PM)OSUfan Wrote: There are several sources linking the Bengals to Jahmyr Gibbs. The more I consider the prospect the more I like it. There is not doubt he is a playmaker that is a threat to take it to the house every time it the ball is in his hands as a RB or a WR. I honestly think this could be a huge boost for an already dynamic offense. He may not carry the ball 20 times a game but if he touches it in some way 10 to 15 times then defenses will be sweating.

I would be good with it. Honestly Gibbs would probably help us to win right now more than any other pick besides Bijan who probably 
won't be there, same with Wright. A Corner, DT or End wouldn't get a ton of snaps as rookies either. I think us getting Gibbs would scare
the Chiefs more than say us getting Forbes who was who I thought was the most likely.

Gibbs reminds me of a faster Alvin Kamara, that sure would give our Offense another shot in the arm. He can work on his pass pro still.
Reply/Quote

He’s in play at 28 but I’m leaning towards them trading down or taking Forbes
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I would be smiling if we grab Gibbs. I want a weapon or difference maker in the 1st. They can fill in the needs after the first.
Reply/Quote
I've seen Kiper and McShay mocks that have Gibbs going to the Bengals, but others have him going earlier. Legwold of ESPN has him as the 10th best player in the draft.

Gibbs has been growing on me as I read various posters commenting on him. And as Nate said, he may be the best option to help the Bengals win this season versus a CB or a DT.
Reply/Quote
Short term, this would be an absolutely fantastic selection. He could end up being the key to winning the SB this year or next year.

In the long term, it may end up being a sub par pick since there's very little inherent value in a RB's second contract (and in fact can be somewhat of a trap if you decide to sign them to what you think will be a good deal at the time. See: Joe Mixon). The discount we get for 5 years with Gibbs won't be comparable to discount we'd get for 5 years at CB, DE or DT.

With that said, it's just a tiny bit less valuable than a discounted TE contract, so if we're willing to take Mayer or Kincaid, we may as well take Gibbs, who I think will have a higher impact on our team during that rookie contract. TEs often take 2 to 3 years to break out, at which point that second contract starts looming. A RB, in theory, should be an impact player from day 1 if they were worth a first round pick. They just have a shorter shelf life and you probably shouldn't entertain a big 2nd contract with them.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 03:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would be good with it. Honestly Gibbs would probably help us to win right now more than any other pick besides Bijan who probably 
won't be there, same with Wright. A Corner, DT or End wouldn't get a ton of snaps as rookies either. I think us getting Gibbs would scare
the Chiefs more than say us getting Forbes who was who I thought was the most likely.

Gibbs reminds me of a faster Alvin Kamara, that sure would give our Offense another shot in the arm. He can work on his pass pro still.

I could not agree more Nate! I initially was resistant to it but the more I watched him and really saw how dynamic he was and yes the factor that he could step in today and give defenses fits sealed the deal for me. I actually would not be upset if they took him over Wright to be honest. He is a special playmaker.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 03:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I sincerely believe that a player like Gibbs could very well be that dynamic addition that gives opposing defenses "one thing too many" to have to consider when defending the Bengal offense.  Until quite recently, I had been stuck on Darnell Washington as that guy add to the Bengals O to make them virtually undefendable.  

When you really think about it, Gibbs is pretty much like having another Jamarr Chase, only a little bit shorter and lining up in the backfield or the slot.

I agree I was locked onto Washington, Wright, and Forbes but the more I have watched Gibbs the more I think he is the player that helps this offense to the next level. I know some are worried about the value of second contracts for running backs but the difference makers can be worth it. As well, there are some corners that I really like beyond the first rounds such as:

Kelee Ringo - could go in the first but very possible he slides given needs of teams at other positions.

DJ Turner - another guy that could be sitting there in second that is an absolute technician at the position with speed to spare.

Julius Brents - this kid has really grown on me over the last couple of weeks. I know there are some that question his man coverage ability, while it may not be his greatest strength, he is not deficient and in his matchup with Quentin Johnston he more than held his own. In press and zone coverage he is a monster.

Darius Rush - needs some technique adjustments but has great size and physicality and pretty decent speed.

Riley Moss - I would love to have this kid. Complete effort player and leader. Elite ball skills and his zone skills would be a great fit in Lou's scheme. One of my favorite corners in the draft actually.

Cory Trice - he has quietly been moving up draft boards and with good reason. He has elite size and length with good speed and his strengths are press and zone coverage which fits our defense very well.
Reply/Quote
I was actually coming in here to move away from my typical Mayer mock to make one with us taking Gibbs (I still will).

I think Gibbs would be great for our offense and I think Burrow would love him as a pass catch rout of the backfield.

I do worry about his pass protection but hopefully he could improve on that.

He's not the traditional back and doesn't work too well between the tackles, which I want my back to be able to, but it's a different league now, so that shouldn't be a problem. I do remember Burrow talking to Mixon and saying "when we run the ball like that, no one can stop us," so maybe I should reconsider it.

He'd help to make our offense VERY EXPLOSIVE!

I just don't know if he's consistent enough between the tackles.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 04:58 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I could not agree more Nate! I initially was resistant to it but the more I watched him and really saw how dynamic he was and yes the factor that he could step in today and give defenses fits sealed the deal for me. I actually would not be upset if they took him over Wright to be honest. He is a special playmaker.

Same way I felt OSUfan. Was giving Rfaulk crap awhile back about him wanting Gibbs, but it just made more and more sense the 
closer we got to the Draft and right now at Draft Day Gibbs is my favorite pick for us at 28. Just because Gibbs wasn't good in pass
pro last year doesn't take away his dynamic playmaking abilities as a runner or in the passing game. He can play WR too, so he is 
versatile and he can work on his pass protection.
Reply/Quote
I don’t like the idea of taking a RB in the first round. But, they need to get more dynamic there, so I get why people want him
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:20 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I don’t like the idea of taking a RB in the first round. But, they need to get more dynamic there, so I get why people want him

One thing to consider, many Bengals fans seem to be struggling with this, we are not drafting in the top half of the draft anymore and that is a great thing but it is a completely new dynamic. It is great to draft a first round player and them not have to be on the field immediately. I do not like drafting RBs early in the first either but when you essentially are in the second round I am fine with it especially when it is a dynamic talent that is an immediate upgrade at the position.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same way I felt OSUfan. Was giving Rfaulk crap awhile back about him wanting Gibbs, but it just made more and more sense the 
closer we got to the Draft and right now at Draft Day Gibbs is my favorite pick for us at 28. Just because Gibbs wasn't good in pass
pro last year doesn't take away his dynamic playmaking abilities as a runner or in the passing game. He can play WR too, so he is 
versatile and he can work on his pass protection.

You just have to adjust your pass pro with him in the game. He is not a player you are drafting to block you are drafting him to score TDs and strike fear into defenses. Dumping the ball off to Gibbs is a whole different ball game than just taking a check down.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:11 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was actually coming in here to move away from my typical Mayer mock to make one with us taking Gibbs (I still will).

I think Gibbs would be great for our offense and I think Burrow would love him as a pass catch rout of the backfield.

I do worry about his pass protection but hopefully he could improve on that.

He's not the traditional back and doesn't work too well between the tackles, which I want my back to be able to, but it's a different league now, so that shouldn't be a problem. I do remember Burrow talking to Mixon and saying "when we run the ball like that, no one can stop us," so maybe I should reconsider it.

He'd help to make our offense VERY EXPLOSIVE!

I just don't know if he's consistent enough between the tackles.

When he does run between the tackles he simply needs a crease and he is gone. He is not a back that you are drafting to pound the ball and to carry the ball 20 times a game. You are drafting him to touch the ball probably 12 to 15 times a game but in different fashions not just in the backfield. Consider how dynamic Alvin Kamara is which is who Gibbs has been compared to and Kamara ran a 4.56 and Gibbs a 4.36 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:26 PM)OSUfan Wrote: You just have to adjust your pass pro with him in the game. He is not a player you are drafting to block you are drafting him to score TDs and strike fear into defenses. Dumping the ball off to Gibbs is a whole different ball game than just taking a check down.

Damn rights. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:28 PM)OSUfan Wrote: When he does run between the tackles he simply needs a crease and he is gone. He is not a back that you are drafting to pound the ball and to carry the ball 20 times a game. You are drafting him to touch the ball probably 12 to 15 times a game but in different fashions not just in the backfield. Consider how dynamic Alvin Kamara is which is who Gibbs has been compared to and Kamara ran a 4.56 and Gibbs a 4.36 

Gibbs vision alone makes him better than Mixon, let alone how much quicker, faster and more versatile he is.

And yeah, he isn't a bell cow back, that isn't what we need him for. We need the explosive plays in the passing game from someone 
besides the WR's. This would make teams pay for running the 2 high formation trying to take away our WR's.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 04:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Short term, this would be an absolutely fantastic selection. He could end up being the key to winning the SB this year or next year.

In the long term, it may end up being a sub par pick since there's very little inherent value in a RB's second contract (and in fact can be somewhat of a trap if you decide to sign them to what you think will be a good deal at the time. See: Joe Mixon). The discount we get for 5 years with Gibbs won't be comparable to discount we'd get for 5 years at CB, DE or DT.

With that said, it's just a tiny bit less valuable than a discounted TE contract, so if we're willing to take Mayer or Kincaid, we may as well take Gibbs, who I think will have a higher impact on our team during that rookie contract. TEs often take 2 to 3 years to break out, at which point that second contract starts looming. A RB, in theory, should be an impact player from day 1 if they were worth a first round pick. They just have a shorter shelf life and you probably shouldn't entertain a big 2nd contract with them.

Good post. But if he's only getting 15 touches a game instead of 25, he may last longer. 
Reply/Quote